Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera Bag Sets - UWA slot to fill.

I will apologise for the long post, but trying to get sorted in my head where all this kit is going and its usefull to have it all down!

I am in the process of putting some standard kits together for Film (B&W and Colour) and Digital (APS-C). I am on the verge of ordering a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to cover the APS-C zoom, mainly to use for work and other walkabout bits.

I am buying a new DSLR, likely the K3 or K3II (TBC later this week).

Here is where I am:

35mm B&W - I love this combo, nice light and I don't mind if it gets knocked about.
Pentax MZ-5N
Pentax SMC K 55mm f1.8

35mm Colour - Nice and simple walkaround set
Pentax MZ-S
Pentax SMC FA 20-35mm f4
Pentax SMC FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
Pentax SMC K 85mm f1.8

APS-C - I will use this for landscape and some work based projects (portraits, people and buildings)
Pentax K-01 / (DSLR will be confirmed in the next week)
UWA Slot
Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8
Pentax SMC FA 135mm f2.8

For the moment, I will be using the FA20-35 as the WA in the APS-C bag but I would like something wider.

I had a DA14 which was my first UWA lens but I sold it to fund the FA135. I liked the DA14 for its combination of reasonable sharpness across the frame (not outstanding even stopped down), good flare resistance and 6-sided light stars. The f2.8 was nice but I almost never used it other than f8-f11 or higher.

The light stars is a feature I like (from the straight 6-sided aperture) as I like night shots and I find the mushy light stars from the Sigma 10-20mm lenses quite distracting.

I am looking for a UWA that has:
Good, even, sharpness across the frame
Nice sun and light stars
77mm filters (ideal but not essential) or able to take filters at least (essential)
It will be used mostly at f8-f11+ so wide open performace or speed is not essential.
The Pentax 12-24mm seems to be ideal (Sharpness, 77mm filters, flexible zoom) but sort of put off by the amount of CA that it seems to produce, even more than the DA14. The DA15 looks to be a bit fiddly with filter use but apart from that fits the bill.
The Tamron 10-24mm looks OK but generally gets bad reviews, good value but thats it.
There is the Samyang 16mm f2.0 which looks fine, lack of AF is not an issue as it will get used mostly at infinity.

I have ruled out the Samyang 14mm f2.8, Sigma 8-16mm and Sigma 12-24mm f2.8 due to lack of filter threads.

It seems that its a toss up between another DA14 and the DA12-24. Acording to tests the DA12-24 should be better.

So, to summarise , has anyone compared the DA14 and DA12-24 side by side?

05-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I will apologise for the long post, but trying to get sorted in my head where all this kit is going and its usefull to have it all down!

I am in the process of putting some standard kits together for Film (B&W and Colour) and Digital (APS-C). I am on the verge of ordering a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to cover the APS-C zoom, mainly to use for work and other walkabout bits.

I am buying a new DSLR, likely the K3 or K3II (TBC later this week).

Here is where I am:

35mm B&W - I love this combo, nice light and I don't mind if it gets knocked about.
Pentax MZ-5N
Pentax SMC K 55mm f1.8

35mm Colour - Nice and simple walkaround set
Pentax MZ-S
Pentax SMC FA 20-35mm f4
Pentax SMC FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
Pentax SMC K 85mm f1.8

APS-C - I will use this for landscape and some work based projects (portraits, people and buildings)
Pentax K-01 / (DSLR will be confirmed in the next week)
UWA Slot
Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8
Pentax SMC FA 135mm f2.8

For the moment, I will be using the FA20-35 as the WA in the APS-C bag but I would like something wider.

I had a DA14 which was my first UWA lens but I sold it to fund the FA135. I liked the DA14 for its combination of reasonable sharpness across the frame (not outstanding even stopped down), good flare resistance and 6-sided light stars. The f2.8 was nice but I almost never used it other than f8-f11 or higher.

The light stars is a feature I like (from the straight 6-sided aperture) as I like night shots and I find the mushy light stars from the Sigma 10-20mm lenses quite distracting.

I am looking for a UWA that has:
Good, even, sharpness across the frame
Nice sun and light stars
77mm filters (ideal but not essential) or able to take filters at least (essential)
It will be used mostly at f8-f11+ so wide open performace or speed is not essential.
The Pentax 12-24mm seems to be ideal (Sharpness, 77mm filters, flexible zoom) but sort of put off by the amount of CA that it seems to produce, even more than the DA14. The DA15 looks to be a bit fiddly with filter use but apart from that fits the bill.
The Tamron 10-24mm looks OK but generally gets bad reviews, good value but thats it.
There is the Samyang 16mm f2.0 which looks fine, lack of AF is not an issue as it will get used mostly at infinity.

I have ruled out the Samyang 14mm f2.8, Sigma 8-16mm and Sigma 12-24mm f2.8 due to lack of filter threads.

It seems that its a toss up between another DA14 and the DA12-24. Acording to tests the DA12-24 should be better.

So, to summarise , has anyone compared the DA14 and DA12-24 side by side?
I'd go for the 12-24mm. It's never been my impression that it produced a lot of fringing except in the corners. There's also the Tamron 10-24mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd go for the 12-24mm. It's never been my impression that it produced a lot of fringing except in the corners. There's also the Tamron 10-24mm.
I agree, I rarely see purple fringing on mine.
05-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

The DA15mm Ltd is a really special lens on APS-C. I would recommend it ahead of the DA14mm. Its compact size is a great asset for street photography and city landscape.

05-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What about Samyang 16mm? I think this one has filter threads, but it might be APSC (heavy vignetting on FF, but double check this).
Or Samyang 10mm, really UWA and good quality. Samyang will give you great image quality, allows the use of Av, P and all modes; but it is manual focus only. The main downside to Samyang is QC and focus scale calibration. So you have to find out where infinity really is, it might be at the 2m mark, or at the very end of inf section.

The Pentax DA 15mm has two main benefits. First one is size. If you lug around a big UWA lens, you will really appreciate a tiny one. And second thing is IQ with lens character. Some modern UWAs are sharper, but the photos might still not be as captivating.
I think there are a lot of reviews of the Pentax DA 12-24mm out there. I think it is a very capable lens, but a little underrated. Not sure why, maybe its price tag plays a role. Samyang 14mm is much more of a "deal" if you get a good copy, because you don't spend as much and have lower expectations.
05-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

Sold my MZ-S years ago but still have my Tamron 28-75 /2.8 which worked well on it. It's a full frame lens

The DA 12-24 is a pretty good lens

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-05-2015 at 09:36 PM.
05-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Sigma 10-20 does stars nicely when stopped down.

05-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the more I look, the more the DA12-24 looks ideal:
Flickriver: Searching for photos matching 'pentax 12-24mm'
06-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I think the more I look, the more the DA12-24 looks ideal:
Flickriver: Searching for photos matching 'pentax 12-24mm'
One my favorite that I own.
06-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
One my favorite that I own.
Yeah, it looks spot on after LOTS of research into reviews, comments and phots. Should be a great combo with my new K3II thats on its way to me
06-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I still plan to get the 12-24 but picked up a cheap 10-17 to play with on my new K3II.....

06-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I find the DA10-17 FishEye has a certain amount of Pixie Dust to it. Not quite DA* grade, but superb IQ nonetheless.