Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #1

Lenses for Vacation??

Hi all,

its been a little while since I've posted. Hope everyone is doing well.

I find myself traveling to Hawaii in August, which leads me wanting to take tons of pictures. I am pondering which lenses to bring as I am not sure if I should bring them all, or just one or two, more importantly if hawaii wasn't expensive enough I have been feeling the urge of some LBA for the pentax DA* 300 f/4 as if I am walking on the beaches or trails I would hate to get sand/water on the voightlanders 180 most likely unless I use the 125 with the 1.7xAF. I already know and don't have to praise the quality of the vioghtlanders. However, would the 300m f/4 be a good purchase due to its water proofing. After all at dell its less than 1200. I don't even want to know how much a VL 125 and a 1.7x converter would run me if I were to ruin it while taking photos due to water/sand or other particles.

Any thoughts would be great.... also, I won't have issue with the idiots at the airlines thinking my lenses are c4 or pipebombs? I have read that the FAA allows photographers an extra bag but dont know the current rules or if airlines allow it or charge extra for it. Guess I have to look into that one.

I plan to carry it on the plan as I don't trust the baggage people. The last thing I would need is for my luggage to go MIA with all my pentax/camera equipment stashed in it.

06-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

specific to American Airlines...

QuoteOriginally posted by CJSpangler Quote
Hi all,

its been a little while since I've posted. Hope everyone is doing well.

I find myself traveling to Hawaii in August, which leads me wanting to take tons of pictures. I am pondering which lenses to bring as I am not sure if I should bring them all, or just one or two, more importantly if hawaii wasn't expensive enough I have been feeling the urge of some LBA for the pentax DA* 300 f/4 as if I am walking on the beaches or trails I would hate to get sand/water on the voightlanders 180 most likely unless I use the 125 with the 1.7xAF. I already know and don't have to praise the quality of the vioghtlanders. However, would the 300m f/4 be a good purchase due to its water proofing. After all at dell its less than 1200. I don't even want to know how much a VL 125 and a 1.7x converter would run me if I were to ruin it while taking photos due to water/sand or other particles.

Any thoughts would be great.... also, I won't have issue with the idiots at the airlines thinking my lenses are c4 or pipebombs? I have read that the FAA allows photographers an extra bag but dont know the current rules or if airlines allow it or charge extra for it. Guess I have to look into that one.

I plan to carry it on the plan as I don't trust the baggage people. The last thing I would need is for my luggage to go MIA with all my pentax/camera equipment stashed in it.
Hi CJ,

Just an FYI that I went through asking permission through American Airlines to carry on my Pelican case, since I already had a camera bag and laptop backpack.

Those two items are permitted (personal item such as a laptop, and one carry-on bag with my gear) under the current carry-on rules, but I couldn't get permission for the additional Pelican case (which was already padlocked and insured for $10K). I don't think media folks get any special treatment either - someone correct me if I am wrong.

BTW: American now charges $25 for the second piece of checked luggage, unless you are a Gold or Platinum flyer (ie. fly a LOT - it's not a membership you can buy...). Those flyers are exempt from the surcharge. Fun times....

They run everything through the X-Ray machine, including my external drives, so you have no need to worry about them thinking it's a bomb. They might examine it a little longer, but I've never had them request an inspection of my camera bag, which has several lenses, flash, batteries (which are no longer supposed to go in checked luggage, BTW), TC's, Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead, and K10D body. So no worries there.

Cheers,
Marc
06-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My light vacation pack out is 4 lenses and a TC.

I take the following

Sigma 10-20
Pentax FA-J 18-35
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Sigma 70-200 F2.8
Either Sigma 1.4x or 2X TC

I can drop the 18-35 as it gets the least use.

the 70-200 is for mostly wild life, with and without the TC.

If yuou drop wild life you can drop the 70-200 plus TC and save 3 pounds.
06-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vacation Kit

FWIW, here is what I took on a just-completed business/pleasure trip to Boca Raton (btw, beaches were totally groomed - no nature to photograph - not even birds - just persons, boats and outrageous houses).

I carried this through TSA Miami and St. Louis. They didn't even look.

LowePro Mini Trekker - held all of the following (I could have left the A35~105 home, but I used it with the beanbag just to make it worth having along).

K10D
F35~70 | F70~210 (used mostly outdoors)
FA50/1.4 | FA35/2 (used mostly indoors except flowers with the 35)
A35~105/3.5 (did some architectural details with the beanbag)
Promaster 7500EDF & Stofen | Hoods and filter wallet
OmniPod Beanbag | charger, cables, cards, blower and small cleaning kit

06-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't buy in Hawaii

Bring the lenses with you, don't try to buy while you are there. If it's an emergency, and you absolutely need to, but otherwise, don't do it.

Everything in Hawaii is shipped in and that raises the costs by at least 25%.

If you are worried about ruining your lenses, take out a travel insurance policy or find out if your homeowners/rental insurance will cover damage while traveling. I'm not sure how you are going to get sand in them unless you are actually dropping the lenses in the sand. And the only sand is at the beach.
06-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My vacation kit is my camera and my 18-250 lens. If I'm splurging, I may throw my FA50 in the bag as well.

Who's going with you? If it's just you, and it's a photo trip, the get a Pelican case and load it up! That's what I'd do. However, if other people whom you care about are travelling with you, then consider the "hassle factor" of them sitting around waiting for you to swap lenses and such. I like the 18-250 because it allows me to get just about any shot I want from a vacation, and it's always ready for a shot. Plus, my family can enjoy the trip without waiting on me (too much).

If I'm on a trip by myself, then all bets are off. I'll see how many different lenses I can use on a trip. :O
06-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always travel light. My vaction kit is my K100D, DA 16-45mm and DA 50-200mm. I also have a polarizer for each lens. When out sightseeing, I put one lens on the camera and the other lens and filters are carried in a fanny pack. With this set up, it's quite easy to quickly change lenses while on the go. I recently got back from 2 weeks in China and this kit worked great for me.

I have a camera bag that carries everything when I am on a plane. I've never had a problem carrying my camera bag through airport inspection or on to a plane.
Frank

06-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm headed there end of this month and since i only have the 2 lenses kit K200D that's my travel system for now ...lol
06-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
My vacation kit is my camera and my 18-250 lens. If I'm splurging, I may throw my FA50 in the bag as well.
Make it a Tamron 18-200, add a AF540FGZ, and that's my vacation kit, At least, that's what i leave with...

I've carried my full kit (given i didn't have much at the time, not a huge issue) overseas twice. didn't use anything but the Tammy 18-200
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
thanks for your comments, I am heading there with my girlfriend (5 years), her family and somewhat neighbors. In total there are 8 people, 4 including myself in low-mid 20s, the other 4 parents.

They might go parasailing/on a boat tour around the island and to the beach atleast one of the days. Most likely they tend to be the type of people who leave somewhere in the morning, and dont go back to the hotel until late at night - this means I will always have the camera with me, the bag is waterproof so I trust it keeping sand out at the beach but am worried that other people might take it out to use when I am not around, swimming etc.

Good relief knowing that no one here has had any problems with the airport. I will just bring a backpack and put the camera bag in that along with my other items for the plane.

I will order polarizers before I go. I am avoiding bringing my laptop for the moment, I will bring my palmpilot to just get the basic wi-fi/email and access to stock portfolio while I am away.

Ah Monocrome - I have been to boca raton several times my grandmas has had condos down there since the 50s. It sits directly across from the big pink hotel (on the beach), while there yes the beaches are fairly empty but some nice stuff to take pictures of. There is a orchid/japanese garden just outside of boca, really nice scenery/flowers + it was almost empty when I went there, might have been like 8 bucks or so to get in, cant remember - got some nice pictures with a point and shoot. The Butterfly place nearbye is a nice place to take pictures & macros of butterflies (a bit kidish but a good time).

View from my grandmas condo, taken with a really old 3.2 point and shoot 2-3 years ago. Unedited - you can see the noise in the clouds if you look closely

06-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like Palm Beach.
06-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boca Resort and Club

QuoteOriginally posted by CJSpangler Quote
Ah Monocrome - I have been to boca raton several times my grandmas has had condos down there since the 50s. It sits directly across from the big pink hotel (on the beach), while there yes the beaches are fairly empty but some nice stuff to take pictures of.
Chris: The world is too small by half!

I didn't see my hotel from your angle, But I stayed on the 14th floor of the Boca Resort and Club Tower looking out at your balcony!! (I think ).

When I said business / pleasure, I had three hours one afternoon over an entire week that wasn't scheduled. As an officer of the association I just couldn't skip out. Seeing my friends from around the country was wonderful and the sessions were engaging and enlightening, but I was disappointed I just didn't have the time to get out.

I'll post what I have after I process.

Paul