Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens focal length, what exactly is getting measured?

When a lens is listed as 70-200mm or 55-300mm what distance within the lens is specifically being measured? A quick good search of focal length shows various points being measured?

06-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optical center to focal plane.

On a complex lens, the optical centre may not be apparent looking at the diagram.
06-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I've always wondered about this, especially in regard to some of the great big monsters compared to Pentax's tiny pancakes, where I think "How the hell can they get a 70mm or even a 40mm focal length into that tiny thing, and why is Sigma's 35mm f/1.4 wonderprime so much longer than my pancake?" Now all is substantially clearer - or at least considerably less murky!!!
06-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I've always wondered about this, especially in regard to some of the great big monsters compared to Pentax's tiny pancakes, where I think "How the hell can they get a 70mm or even a 40mm focal length into that tiny thing, and why is Sigma's 35mm f/1.4 wonderprime so much longer than my pancake?" Now all is substantially clearer - or at least considerably less murky!!!
It really becomes interesting when you start thinking about lenses with a focal length that is shorter than the registration distance (e.g. the DA15Ltd as a relative extreme example); the optical centre is inside the camera Telelenses are boring from that perspective

06-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Optical center to focal plane.
With lens focused to infinity.

Steve
06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It really becomes interesting when you start thinking about lenses with a focal length that is shorter than the registration distance (e.g. the DA15Ltd as a relative extreme example); the optical centre is inside the camera Telelenses are boring from that perspective
Telelenses are exactly the same, except that the focal length is in front of the lens i.s.o. behind the lens.
06-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It really becomes interesting when you start thinking about lenses with a focal length that is shorter than the registration distance
Yep! Oh the wonders of retro-telephoto design! We owe so much to Pierre Angenieux who pioneered this approach in the early 1950s.

Steve

06-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Telelenses are exactly the same, except that the focal length is in front of the lens i.s.o. behind the lens.
So true! What's more, many of the lenses we refer to as "tele", aren't! Telephoto refers to design, not focal length.

Steve

(...has a 210mm view camera lens that would be so much easier to work with were it a telephoto design...)
06-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With lens focused to infinity.

Steve
Oh ya, I forgot that part...