Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 review made at full frame

I have been looking for reviews of Pentax full frame lenses, made at full frame. I think it's a good idea to invest in lenses that will be compatible with both the coming Pentax full frame camera, and with my Pentax K-3. But it seems there aren't too many full frame reviews around. Maybe not so strange considering the fact that Pentax still only offers digital SLRs with APS-C-sensor.

But the new website Lensfreaks.com has actually published a review of the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4, with MTF charts measured at full frame.

Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 Review at full frame and APS-C

The 50mm f/1.4 is the only Pentax full frame lens I can find there. But it's a new site so I guess that will change over time. Anyways, apart from a nice telephoto lens for full frame, I want to find a good standard zoom lens with a large aperture, like a 24-70mm f/2.8 or similar. But the only alternative I can find is Tamron's 28-75mm f/2.8, unless I go for the second hand market and buy something really old from Pentax. Is that really correct? Anyone knows of alternatives?

06-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex-Nelson Quote
But the only alternative I can find is Tamron's 28-75mm f/2.8, unless I go for the second hand market and buy something really old from Pentax. Is that really correct? Anyone knows of alternatives?
One will be launched alongside the Pentax FF. Just sit tight!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But the only alternative I can find is Tamron's 28-75mm f/2.8

That's the one I use on FF with an adapter, Alex. I've also got the Tammy 70-200.

I do have the older FA 35-70 and FA J 18-35mm consumer zooms, too.

Older zooms from any manufacturer have been exceeded by modern designs, but there are plenty of superb primes of course in Pentax land.

And there will be new glass to support the FF release, of course, like the already announced 150-450 and 70-200, but they will be pricey.
06-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But the only alternative I can find is Tamron's 28-75mm f/2.8, unless I go for the second hand market and buy something really old from Pentax. Is that really correct? Anyone knows of alternatives?
I owned the Tamron 28-75, and it was a good lens for under $400, but I decided to sell it and "buy something really old from Pentax", the FA* 28-70, and I'm glad I did. It's a magnificent piece of glass, my only complaint is that the front element rotates, but I don't use it for landscapes much.

I believe there are some older Tokina f/2.8 standard zooms out there, and a Sigma as well.

06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have been looking for reviews of Pentax full frame lenses, made at full frame. I think it's a good idea to invest in lenses that will be compatible with both the coming Pentax full frame camera, and with my Pentax K-3. But it seems there aren't too many full frame reviews around. Maybe not so strange considering the fact that Pentax still only offers digital SLRs with APS-C-sensor.

But the new website Lensfreaks.com has actually published a review of the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4, with MTF charts measured at full frame.

Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 Review at full frame and APS-C

The 50mm f/1.4 is the only Pentax full frame lens I can find there. But it's a new site so I guess that will change over time. Anyways, apart from a nice telephoto lens for full frame, I want to find a good standard zoom lens with a large aperture, like a 24-70mm f/2.8 or similar. But the only alternative I can find is Tamron's 28-75mm f/2.8, unless I go for the second hand market and buy something really old from Pentax. Is that really correct? Anyone knows of alternatives?
The data looks very impressive. It shows the lens performing quite well right up to the last few millimeters. 18mm seems to be a drop-off point for f/4 and f/8. It's just a matter of how much the drop-off is.

The site looks new so it will probably take them some time to build up a database of reviewed lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if they start off with some classic lenses like the FA 50mm f/1.4 before moving on to more modern and pricier units.

Thanks for posting this!
06-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I am pleased by the sharpness of my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM, and you can still find them out there.
06-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One will be launched alongside the Pentax FF. Just sit tight!
You could be right. Question is of course how expensive it will be. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2,8 seems like an affordable option. Maybe should have a look at it in a store.

---------- Post added 06-03-15 at 10:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The data looks very impressive. It shows the lens performing quite well right up to the last few millimeters. 18mm seems to be a drop-off point for f/4 and f/8. It's just a matter of how much the drop-off is.

The site looks new so it will probably take them some time to build up a database of reviewed lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if they start off with some classic lenses like the FA 50mm f/1.4 before moving on to more modern and pricier units.

Thanks for posting this!
According to the "About" page, the site already has an extensive database, the editors maybe just haven't had the time to publish everything online yet.

About Lensfreaks

Will be very interesting to see which lenses they will review next.

06-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could be right. Question is of course how expensive it will be. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2,8 seems like an affordable option. Maybe should have a look at it in a store.

---------- Post added 06-03-15 at 10:59 PM ----------

According to the "About" page, the site already has an extensive database, the editors maybe just haven't had the time to publish everything online yet.

About Lensfreaks

Will be very interesting to see which lenses they will review next.
Lately, Pentax lens MSRPs tend to be a little bit higher than the competition. So I'd expect a cheaper kit lens to cost in the $400-600 range while the more expensive kit lens to be in the $800-1000 range. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You'd think for a site devoted to lens technical data, they would know how to spell "distortion."
Ha ha. I actually mailed them about it. They replied very quickly and apologized. And now everything seem to be corrected. It's actually a Swedish website, so I guess that explains the spelling error. Nice when you get such quick feedback.
06-04-2015, 05:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You'd think for a site devoted to lens technical data, they would know how to spell "distortion."

Proofreading is a lost art. I see what I consider to be egregious errors in both grammar and spelling in even the most respected places. I can understand the occasional typo getting through but many pieces that I read are riddled with broken grammar, dumb spelling errors and incorrect use of literary expressions. Many so called "journalists" these days would not even pass a high school English class in my day.