Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 20-40 DA Lens

Quick questions regarding this lens. I've seen 2 variants. One seems to be larger on the front end of the lens. Looking at the Lens database, it does show the two variants. Just wondering if there is any difference and if I should be getting one type over the other. Second question is does the lens come with a hood?

Thanks in advance.

06-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No difference except the color.
06-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You actually answered your own question - the version with the larger front end is just the lens with the hood attached.

See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-20-40mm-limited/whats-in-the-box.html
06-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
You actually answered your own question - the version with the larger front end is just the lens with the hood attached.

See here:
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited Review - What's in the Box | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Well that does answer my questions doesn't it. Never thought the hood would just be that. Thanks!!!

06-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #5

20-40 Limited my favorite so far

Just wanted to add -- if you do wind up buying this lens, it will likely become your favorite. I know it's mine.

I think Pentax did a very clever thing, coming out with a limited range zoom to cover the most common focal lengths on APS-C and to do so with impeccable image quality and incredible build quality. The DC auto-focus is the fastest and most precise I've seen on my camera, and the pictures don't disappoint me at all. I believe it could easily replace both the 21 & 40 limited if you wished (with the exception of the curved aperture blades).
06-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seconded - the HD20-40 is now my standard lens; sharp as a pin and the autofocus is very good, and pretty quiet too. The build quality is exceptional, and feels absolutely right on the K-5. The design of the zoom ring, matching the old Takumar focus ring is also a nice touch. The 9 aperture blades are rounded, so great bokeh.
06-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciated. Lens has been ordered. How well does it work for star bursts if shooting into the sun, etc?
06-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciated. Lens has been ordered. How well does it work for star bursts if shooting into the sun, etc?
It doesn't. It has HD coating.

06-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't shot into the sun, so can't comment (we don't see much of it here in the UK!), but the HD coating is superb for flare control. I bought a rubber lens hood for use with the lens, but don't use it as I find that the small hood supplied with the lens is good enough for all the situations that I've run into. If I need to, I add further shade with my hand.
06-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Haven't shot into the sun, so can't comment (we don't see much of it here in the UK!), but the HD coating is superb for flare control. I bought a rubber lens hood for use with the lens, but don't use it as I find that the small hood supplied with the lens is good enough for all the situations that I've run into. If I need to, I add further shade with my hand.
+1 what he said; I have shot in many situations into the evening sun and got great contrasty images. The hood is sufficient and also for lens protection from finger smudges.
06-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

They can be done with the 20-40. just not super sharp points.

06-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #12

One thing to consider about a lens hood is that I got annoyed with the lens cap not staying on. Was afraid I would lose it. I got a 67mm step up ring to replace the hood. Then I got a lens cap that snaps onto the ring. You can also attach a hood though the ring itself seems to be as effective as the provided hood. With this set up I can share filters with my 60-250mm.

Last edited by atcoombs; 06-05-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Had left out line about using snap on cap.
06-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atcoombs Quote
One thing to consider about a lens hood is that I got annoyed with the lens cap not staying on. Was afraid I would lose it. I got a 67mm step up ring to replace the hood. You can attach a hood to that though the ring itself seems to be as effective as the provided hood. With this set up I can share filters with my 60-250mm.
Mine dropped of a few times and I had to back track a few times to find it. I have ended up using a lens cap keeper. now secured with black electricians tape.
06-05-2015, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
They can be done with the 20-40. just not super sharp points.

I rest my case . I had the non HD version of the DA 21. Now that lens was a starburst whore.
06-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

I've not tried it, but I wouldn't expect great starbursts from it. One mistake I think Pentax made is putting rounded aperture blades in the HD 21 and HD15 -- they don't really improve bokeh that much (wide-angle lenses, not that much bokeh to begin with) and they ruin the starburst performance. In the 20-40, I think rounded aperture blades were the right choice because you want the better bokeh more often than not, but they do turn beautiful starbursts into fuzzy balls.