Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I think you'll enjoy yourself quite a bit with an M42 adapter and all the wonderful
M42 lenses and Super Takumars out there. Once you get the hang of MF, learn
the green button trick, and learn how to listen/watch for your diopter, shooting
the Super Takumars becomes easy and very fun. The MF action is so smooth -
manually focusing a modern lens doesn't come close.

Below are some shots taken today with my new Super Multicoated Takumar 35mm f/3.5
- by some accounts, the Hardest To Focus of all the Super Taks:
You just showed the reasons why I love the Takumar 35mm f3.5! Though I've got the Super version of the lens. I love the colors and sharpness it produces, even wide open. One of my favs for sure. Love the shot of your boy.

06-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Those are great shots of the young man and the flowers. Well hopefully Monday or Tuesday I should have my adapter then off to see what lenses I should get. What would you all suggest? I do wildlife, outdoor scenes, basketball and wanting to do outdoor portraits and then indoor portraits.

Thanks
Jim
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
You should be aware that some - many - most - maybe all Takumar M42 lenses use radioactive glass.
Not true. Not even close. It's not even many. Here's the list that I've been able to run down and verify. Please see: Thoriated Camera Lens (ca. 1970s)

SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 (Asahi Optical Co.)
Super Takumar and SMC 35mm f2.0 [49mm filter ring] (Asahi Optical Co.)
55mm f2 (Asahi Optical Co.) (This may not be true.)
Super Takumar 6x7 105mm f2.4 (Asahi Optical Co.) (not even 35mm)
Super-multi-coated Macro-Takumar (Asahi Optical Co.) - not sure which one.

Yellowing is the hallmark of the "radioactive" lenses. Very few of the Takumars yellow with age.
woof

Last edited by woof; 06-14-2008 at 04:02 PM.
06-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Not true. Not even close. It's not even many. Here's the list that I've been able to run down and verify. Please see: Thoriated Camera Lens (ca. 1970s)

Yellowing is the hallmark of the "radioactive" lenses. Very few of the Takumars yellow with age.
woof

Ma Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 is yellowed.

06-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

woof
wlank was just kidding around more than anything woof, and we all knew it
Anything to get a good lens for free.

I actually own a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (1965 era, non coated)which is good. I don't believe that it was treated, but it also wasn't taken care of which is probably why it's clear.

Plus a Super Takumar 35mm f2.0 (non - coated, 1966) which was in wonderful shape when I got it. However it was yellowed, so I had to treat it in the window) and it's good now.

I love both lenses, and wouldn't trade them for anything.
06-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Some more shots taken today during and after a quick bike ride, with the S-M-C
Takumar 200 f/4 and S-M-C Takumar 135 f/3.5:

Tak 200 f/4:

Pre-wedding stuff going on in the park by the lake. This is a bit of a crop,
these folks were way far away:

Cropped:

"My soul is being sucked out of me dad, can we go home now?!?"

Cropped:

OK, I get the hint, back home... and switch to the Super Tak 135 3.5:

Onion flowers are becoming like my 'brick wall' test for color/contrast/bokeh:

This guy guards the neighbor's garden... presumably from our cats? :0

06-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

"Why me, Lord?"
06-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

(Mike, that made me (and my wife) laugh or as*** off )

Some shots taken today with the S-M-C Takumar 50 1.4:

06-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Makes me wanna take out my 135/3.5 tomorrow, just because. And this also makes me wann click the KEH button in my browsers toolbar ;P
What I really meant to ask though jsherman, is the coolness in a majority of shots intentional?
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Makes me wanna take out my 135/3.5 tomorrow, just because. And this also makes me wann click the KEH button in my browsers toolbar ;P
What I really meant to ask though jsherman, is the coolness in a majority of shots intentional?
A couple are a bit overexposed, but the 'coolness' is mostly because the shots were
taken on a bright blue beach towel in sunlight - puts a blue cast on everything, lotsa
that wavelegth bouncing around. I need to use a different towel for better skin
tones, that kinda annoys me.
06-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hm, i actually meant the shots above him, your "brick wall" ..the onion flowers, the b/w cat, your son in the stroller. the shot of the flower pot under the shot with the cat may have actually biased my initial thought regarding the "coolness" of the cat shot above, either way, the blue towel shots don't appear as cool as the shots above them.
On the towel i had more looked at the vibrance and colorfulness of the whole scene and neglected to notice the blue changing his skin tone to be honest.

Edit: Maybe you mostly got to shoot on overcast days or at least in the shade? I don't know, just curious.
06-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
wlank was just kidding around more than anything woof, and we all knew it
Anything to get a good lens for free.
Thanks for for the help Stu. Seem to have kinda got someones shorts in a wad. The whole point of my post was my experience with a Bower mount adapter. Kinda hoping for some experience from others on that issue.

I guess I better just forego my pathetic attempts at humor in this forum. Some of these Pentax folks might misinterpret it.

Bill
06-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Hm, i actually meant the shots above him, your "brick wall" ..the onion flowers, the b/w cat, your son in the stroller. the shot of the flower pot under the shot with the cat may have actually biased my initial thought regarding the "coolness" of the cat shot above, either way, the blue towel shots don't appear as cool as the shots above them.
On the towel i had more looked at the vibrance and colorfulness of the whole scene and neglected to notice the blue changing his skin tone to be honest.

Edit: Maybe you mostly got to shoot on overcast days or at least in the shade? I don't know, just curious.

Ah - yeah, it may have to do with using the 'bright' jpeg setting, I've noticed a bit of coolness with that. I find it pleasing. In some cases I should be shooting in RAW and experiment with the tone curves, but 90% of the time it looks OK to me.
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I use the bright setting as well for JPEGs ... and I think I have bumped either Contrast or Saturation up 1 notch ... I can't remember though.

jbrowning ... just to let you know ... there's a nice 85mm f/1.9 for sale in the market place ... grab it while you can ... it's a stellar lens.

Jsherman is like a drug pusher ... I got hooked ... and bought a couple of NICE M42 lenses off him. At least these great lenses are a darn sight cheaper than newer AF stuff.

I need another bag to carry just my M42 gear and body around ... it's getting too much ... and my 35mm f/3.5 is on it's way as well now (it won't fit in my signature either ... I have too much in there already).
06-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wooohooo!!!!

Guess what came in the mail yesterday.

Thats right my adapter made it home. Now all I need to figure out what lens to get first.

Thanks
Jim