Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I use the bright setting as well for JPEGs ... and I think I have bumped either Contrast or Saturation up 1 notch ... I can't remember though.

jbrowning ... just to let you know ... there's a nice 85mm f/1.9 for sale in the market place ... grab it while you can ... it's a stellar lens.

Jsherman is like a drug pusher ... I got hooked ... and bought a couple of NICE M42 lenses off him. At least these great lenses are a darn sight cheaper than newer AF stuff.

I need another bag to carry just my M42 gear and body around ... it's getting too much ... and my 35mm f/3.5 is on it's way as well now (it won't fit in my signature either ... I have too much in there already).
I have to admit that before I started looking at Jshermans pictures and yours as well as your pictures I stayed away from manual lenses. Now I have a whole list of them as you can see in my signature, thinks you and I were fighting for a few lenses in the marketplace as well.

06-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MWaaaa Haaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaa..... My work is done!

(I'd never make a good drug pusher, Id stand on the street corner going Mwaaaa Haaa Haaaa!!! The cops would have an easy time.)

Really glad to see others are discovering As, Ms, K's, Super Taks... but I credit others also on this sight for getting me to see the light on the inexpensive MF glass that's capable of so much IQ goodness. Just paying it forward.

06-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
wlank was just kidding around more than anything woof, and we all knew it
Anything to get a good lens for free.
Oh... <ducking and grinning> Sorry wlank. Don't mind me... too much radiation exposure I'm afraid...

I actually own a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (1965 era, non coated)which is good. I don't believe that it was treated, but it also wasn't taken care of which is probably why it's clear.
I keep finding conflicting info on which 50mm f/1.4 lenses are thoriated. Best sources seem to indicate that the seven element lenses are effected whereas earlier 8 element lenses are not... The following may help you identify if your is or is not "hot."

"The yellowing problem affects the Model II 50mm f1.4 Super-Takumars and all other 50mm f1.4 lens through to the K-mount series. The older Model I 50/1.4 Super-Takumars, the 8-element ones (which can be distinguished by the protruding element at the rear NOT having a protective metal rim), do not turn yellow because they do not have the radioactive element, using an Additional regular optical glass element to get higher refraction instead."

Also, I did come across literature that states that the Auto-Takumar 55mm 1.8 was made with rare earth elements which usually means that thorium was present. Since this lens was the forerunner of the Super Takumar 55mm 1.8, and Zewrak mentions that his has yellowed, I wonder now if there were some early Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8s that might have been thoriated...

Plus a Super Takumar 35mm f2.0 (non - coated, 1966) which was in wonderful shape when I got it. However it was yellowed, so I had to treat it in the window) and it's good now.
I believe that one was on my list. Does this have 49mm filter threads?
06-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Oh... <ducking and grinning> Sorry wlank. Don't mind me... too much radiation exposure I'm afraid...
Can't blame you for gettin' a bit perturbed. Hell, I'm getting defensive too now that we have to share our fine old glass with Canon 3D and 5D users. No wonder the prices are going up so much lately.

06-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you're saying I should sell . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
MWaaaa Haaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaa..... My work is done!
Jay: M-Club, K-Club, this Club --

My wife (who, I have related on other threads, is reasonably cool with this camera stuff resurgence since it is not a Corvette -
as long as I don't take pictures of younger women) asked, "Why do you need four camera bags?"

I told her one F2 is for my Vivitar stuff, one F2 is for my F and FA stuff, the Mini Trekker is for my SMC K stuff
and the Slingshot is to carry whatever I choose to carry on an outing.

Without saying a word she leaned over my shoulder, grabbed the mouse, clicked the ebay link and walked away.

I didn't tell her about the F3x that holds my Tak 50/1.4, Tak 135/3.5 and MESuper with the adapter attached.

Now, since you are paying things forward, if you had to dispose of one entire camera bag of LBA accumulation to maintain marital harmony,
which would you sell?
06-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I have to admit that before I started looking at Jshermans pictures and yours as well as your pictures I stayed away from manual lenses. Now I have a whole list of them as you can see in my signature, thinks you and I were fighting for a few lenses in the marketplace as well.
Hee hee ... i think we were ... I guess I was lucky with the couple though ... as soon as Jay posted up his 85mm I looked in the Marketplace about 5 mins later and jumped on it ... I couldn't believe my eyes at first seeing no replies in the thread ... hee hee

Jay you are an evil man ... but I thank you for it ... and person who got you hooked in the first place as well.

I think the majority of my purchases now will be older gear ... it'll be rare for me now to buy anything new-ish again (unless it's a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 or a Sigma 10-20mm)
06-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Jif you had to dispose of one entire camera bag of LBA accumulation to maintain marital harmony,
which would you sell?
Since I invested less time and effort in acquiring one spouse than I did a bag full of LBA, I'd keep the gear and replace the spouse.

My wife ran off with my camera bag and I sure do miss it......
06-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Hee hee ... i think we were ... I guess I was lucky with the couple though ... as soon as Jay posted up his 85mm I looked in the Marketplace about 5 mins later and jumped on it ... I couldn't believe my eyes at first seeing no replies in the thread ... hee hee

Jay you are an evil man ... but I thank you for it ... and person who got you hooked in the first place as well.

I think the majority of my purchases now will be older gear ... it'll be rare for me now to buy anything new-ish again (unless it's a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 or a Sigma 10-20mm)
Note to self,
When, or shall I really say IF I go to sell any lenses I should start a thread here showing what sort of IQ it has

06-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

My wife ran off with my camera bag and I sure do miss it......
You made me laugh!!
06-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

We all thought it....I just said it is all.
06-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

the M42 lenses can be used on Av mode and are a joy to use, many are optically outstanding.

S.M.C. Takumar 28mm f3.5:

Super Takumar 35mm f3.5:

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4:

S.M.C. Macro Takumar 50mm f4:

S.M.C. Takumar 105mm f2.8:

Super Takumar 105mm f2.8:

It has only been 6 weeks since I own my first dSLR, a Pentax *istDS I bought specially to use with old manual lenses and therefore the selection of photos of each lens is not too big yet, but there are more at my flickr page, also some taken with K mount and non Takumar M42 manual lenses: Collection: manual focus lenses

cheers,
Andreas
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #42

Hi hope I'm not high jacking but I' having trouble with my K20 and m42 lenses. I bought the genuine pentax adaptor for m42 lenses and have tried my smc 35, 50, and 200 m42 lenses. The problem is the camera won't allow me to change the focal length for the image stabalization (IS). I am getting great results with these and my other manual K mount lenses, but would like to be able to enter the focal length for the IS. I love this camera.
06-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #43

please ignore my previous question as I have started my own thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.