Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
screw mount lenses

Will my k10d and k100d confirm the correct focus on a screw mount (m42) I think they are called also?

Thanks
Jim

06-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My ist did. I haven't tried with my K20d yet, but it should. Of course it is a manual process for both focus and aperture.
06-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, works great. It can be a little off on the fast lenses though, its best to use your eyes to judge focus for those.
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I focus manually but have to use the camera to tell me when I am actually focused (dang eyeballs anyhow). Of course I would need to get a adapter for it to mount to my body. Any suggestions as which one would be best?

Fritz why would the fast lenses not be accurate on the focus confirnation? I am kinda looking int a 135mm f2.8 for photographing my sons basketball games this winter.

thanks
Jim

06-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess I should clarify that to fast lenses shot wide open. I've found that at least for my camera the focus confirmation can be a little bit off. I'm guessing this is because there is less room for error resulting from the more limited depth of field. So a shot at f1.4 is harder to get accurate focus on then a shot at f3.5. It's entirely possible that your cameras focus confirmation is better then mine!
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the response Fritz.

Jim
06-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Warning!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Of course I would need to get a adapter for it to mount to my body. Any suggestions as which one would be best?
You should be aware that some - many - most - maybe all Takumar M42 lenses use radioactive glass. If you have any you should send them to me for proper disposal. I live near Carlsbad New Mexico, and located there is a Govt. approved radioactive waste disposal site.

But if you insist on using these lenses my experience is that the genuine Pentax "Mount Adapter B" is the ONLY adapter to use. The Pentax online store was out of stock when I got my Digital - so being anxious to play around, I ordered a Bower. It was dificult to mount and even more so to dismount. The vendor sent me another one which was slightly better, but still not suitable.

The genuine article finally became available at the Pentax online store. It works exactly like I thought it should. Easy on and off with no special tool and the lens mounts in the proper position.

Bill

06-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
You should be aware that some - many - most - maybe all Takumar M42 lenses use radioactive glass. If you have any you should send them to me for proper disposal. I live near Carlsbad New Mexico, and located there is a Govt. approved radioactive waste disposal site.

But if you insist on using these lenses my experience is that the genuine Pentax "Mount Adapter B" is the ONLY adapter to use. The Pentax online store was out of stock when I got my Digital - so being anxious to play around, I ordered a Bower. It was dificult to mount and even more so to dismount. The vendor sent me another one which was slightly better, but still not suitable.

The genuine article finally became available at the Pentax online store. It works exactly like I thought it should. Easy on and off with no special tool and the lens mounts in the proper position.

Bill
I have few articles that talk about the Genuine Pentax M42 adapter as well as the 3rd party:

Thanks,
Hin
06-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
I suspect that you're just trying to be funny, but these days one never really knows for sure.

At any rate, I found an interesting article on the matter.
06-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

best to stick w/ the official pentax adapter
on my K100D, the meter is iffy, i was playing w/ my Macro Tak just now and i needed +2 EV in Av
06-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Jim,

If you decide to not send those radioactive lenses to Bill for proper disposal. And you decide to get a Pentax adapter. I happen to know of a store here in Canada with 2 new ones just waiting on their shelf.

I'd rather see you buy that sort of thing locally, but at least theirs a option if you can't find any.
So if required drop me a PM, and I'll give you their contact info.

Oh, just one more thing. With your K100D
When you get your screwmount lenses you'll want to hit Menu.
Scroll over to custom.
scroll down to FI with S lenses used.
press right arrow.
And you'll want Option 2.

This will allow the Focus Indicator to function with screwmount lenses, but will not alter anything else.

I don't know about your K10, but it's probably very similar
06-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't use focus confirm so can't help you there, but do have several old screwmount lenses and use them with no problems in AV mode (though I do have to check exposure regularly). I have two non-Pentax adapters (with the little metal lever piece removed) which remain mounted on the lenses I'm carrying around on any given day so I can switch back and forth between the K-mounts and screwmounts. I highly recommend them.
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

in short.

yes they can.

---

using smc amcro takumar f/4 in k10d
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welp, just a update. I went and ordered a Pentax adapter B from Amazon and it has the Pentax brand on the adapter itself. Thanks for the input, now I guess I will start looking into the screw mount lenses.

Thanks
Jim
06-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think you'll enjoy yourself quite a bit with an M42 adapter and all the wonderful
M42 lenses and Super Takumars out there. Once you get the hang of MF, learn
the green button trick, and learn how to listen/watch for your diopter, shooting
the Super Takumars becomes easy and very fun. The MF action is so smooth -
manually focusing a modern lens doesn't come close.

Below are some shots taken today with my new Super Multicoated Takumar 35mm f/3.5
- by some accounts, the Hardest To Focus of all the Super Taks:

Cropped:

The above was focused very quickly, as he was moving out of the frame - as you
can see, the 'hard to focus' 35mm Super Tak is still very easy to focus.

More:

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.