Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Now if I was really going to the Grand Canyon I definitely would not be taking only one lens.
I agree. First is with the 12-24 at 12; second is with the 77 limited getting just Eagle Rock; third is a crazy 16 shot pano with the 43 limited. Depends on what you want to do, but I couldn't do just one lens.

Attached Images

06-08-2015, 01:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget the Pol-Filter!!!!! it's a must have!!
two examples one with one without
i checked my exif: da 18-135 @ 135.0 mm, 28 mm, 40 mm, 18 mm
Attached Images

Last edited by max_pyne; 06-08-2015 at 06:42 AM.
06-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
Don't forget the Pol-Filter!!!!! it's a must have!!
two examples one with one without
DA 55-300. You will have a lot of fun capturing people. If I had the 18-135, I would say that should be the one lens I will bring. But definitely, need telephoto reach more than wide.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #19
CDW
Site Supporter

You really won't need a nodal slider for shooting distant subjects such as the Grand Canyon. If you're shooting architectural interiors or very close objects, it's a different story. For landscapes with distant subjects you simply need to overlap each frame adequately and be sure your tripod/head is level. If you intend to stitch, be careful with the use of a polarizer or you will see the mismatch of color in the blue sky. Also, one example of a polarizer shown in this thread caused the sky to go far too dark. That's a common mistake that happens with polarizers at higher elevations, particularly in the southwest, where too much rotation of the polarizer makes the sky unnaturally dark.

06-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
You really won't need a nodal slider for shooting distant subjects such as the Grand Canyon. If you're shooting architectural interiors or very close objects, it's a different story. For landscapes with distant subjects you simply need to overlap each frame adequately and be sure your tripod/head is level. If you intend to stitch, be careful with the use of a polarizer or you will see the mismatch of color in the blue sky. Also, one example of a polarizer shown in this thread caused the sky to go far too dark. That's a common mistake that happens with polarizers at higher elevations, particularly in the southwest, where too much rotation of the polarizer makes the sky unnaturally dark.
yep sorry for posting this pictures just wanted to show the difference in clarity of the canyon and forgot about the sky... i would have had other pictures but this two looked similar from the framing.... i did not even check for horizon....:-)
06-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
max_pyne, jatrax, CDW, I want to thank you all for educating me on all the possibilities for how to better capture a vast nature shot. I would never have figured this out without your help. Thank again, Bob
06-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
Forum Member

I was there in April. I used my 18-135 more than my 8-16.
Unfortunately I had clear blue cloudless skies the whole trip :-(
8-16 was actually too wide. My most interesting shots turned out to be my tighter zoomed in shots. I'd say take an 18-135 or the 18-270 And a good polarizer and UV filter

06-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttles12000 Quote
8-16 was actually too wide. My most interesting shots turned out to be my tighter zoomed in shots. I'd say take an 18-135 or the 18-270 And a good polarizer and UV filter
+1... We always want to capture everything with the widest angle lense or panos. But panos aren't that easy to look at. They give nothing on a computer if you don't at the same time allow to scroll with your mouse. Printed they need to be huge to get some details...

On the contrary, tele allow to isolate interresting aspect of the scene.