Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Advice for a DSLR Newbie

Hi all. I have been reading the forum for many months now, and have learned so much from everyone. I finally decided to register. I am hoping that I can get opinions regarding lenses for my first digital SLR.

I ventured into the Pentax world in about 1999, when I bought a film SLR (ZX-10). It wasn't top of the line but it took amazing pictures (for my purposes). Sadly, the camera died on me a few years ago, & I just never made the leap to digital. Now, I am ready, and after having done some research, I have decided on the K-S2. Now my dilemma is what lenses? I am most interested in landscape and wildlife photography, although I like to take pics of just about everything, in all kinds of light. I am not a photo expert by any stretch, but I do like to play around with the options available on the camera when I have time and did do some manual focus shots with my old SLR.

Right now, I am trying to choose between the 18 - 135 or the duo of the 18 - 55 and 50 - 200. I also am interested in using my old film SLR lens, the Pentax FA - J 75 - 300. I know that isn't great glass, but I was generally happy with the pictures I got using it with film. What I don't know is how that lens will work on the K-S2 (I know that it's compatible, I just don't know if the quality will be comparable?)

One more consideration. .. I can get a new K-S2 w/18-135 for $800 (such a steal!) or w/the 2 lenses, bag, and 32gb SD card for $870.

As you might have guessed, I consider this a long-term investment, so I am okay with spending the money. But, I want to spend wisely. With no local Pentax retailers, I really need someone to just tell me what to buy. Lol. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for such a long post. Thank you!

06-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
I would go with the DA 18-135. It is somewhat better than the 18-55 and of course has a much larger range. You already have the FA J 75-300 which might not be all that good (I really do not know) but you do have it. If you are not happy with the results with it on digital save up and get the HD DA 55-300 WR. With that you will have a two lens kit that goes from 18 to 300mm both WR and both with quite good image quality. Add a nice fast prime like the DA 50mm f/1.8 for low light and portraits and you set for just about anything

Here is the info on your lens: SMC Pentax-FA J 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 AL Reviews - FA J Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not heard good reviews for the 55-200mm.....
You also already have from 75-300mm covered.

Personally, I'd grab the 18-50 or 18-55 WR and learn the camera before deciding whether or not you love your legacy glass.

That you already have to 300mm implies you like reach and you'd probably be happier with the 55-300mm WR if you don't like your old lens.
06-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

welcome aboard! 18-135 is highly regarded.....as you have reach with yer 75-300 that would be great unless ya want the other stuff......32gb card is good and quick! and I enjoy the 18-55 & 50-200 I got with my k-50

06-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hello !
I vote also for 18-135; not the best lens kit, but a trust one for beginning; after, 55-300 WR and, why not, you may try the primes
06-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-S2 along with the 18-135mm is a very solid kit. It won't let you down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Definitely the 18-135 over the 18-55. I've used both, and the 18-135 wins by a noticeable margin on all counts-- image quality, build quality, zoom range...

06-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the 18-135.
Any of the Pentax cameras from the K-5 onwards (newer) are quite similar in image quality for general use, so if you see a different body offered on sale with that lens, don't overlook it.
06-08-2015, 04:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photo dawn Quote
Hi all. I have been reading the forum for many months now, and have learned so much from everyone. I finally decided to register. I am hoping that I can get opinions regarding lenses for my first digital SLR.

I ventured into the Pentax world in about 1999, when I bought a film SLR (ZX-10). It wasn't top of the line but it took amazing pictures (for my purposes). Sadly, the camera died on me a few years ago, & I just never made the leap to digital. Now, I am ready, and after having done some research, I have decided on the K-S2. Now my dilemma is what lenses? I am most interested in landscape and wildlife photography, although I like to take pics of just about everything, in all kinds of light. I am not a photo expert by any stretch, but I do like to play around with the options available on the camera when I have time and did do some manual focus shots with my old SLR.

Right now, I am trying to choose between the 18 - 135 or the duo of the 18 - 55 and 50 - 200. I also am interested in using my old film SLR lens, the Pentax FA - J 75 - 300. I know that isn't great glass, but I was generally happy with the pictures I got using it with film. What I don't know is how that lens will work on the K-S2 (I know that it's compatible, I just don't know if the quality will be comparable?)

One more consideration. .. I can get a new K-S2 w/18-135 for $800 (such a steal!) or w/the 2 lenses, bag, and 32gb SD card for $870.

As you might have guessed, I consider this a long-term investment, so I am okay with spending the money. But, I want to spend wisely. With no local Pentax retailers, I really need someone to just tell me what to buy. Lol. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for such a long post. Thank you!
That price for the K-S2 + DA 18-135 is excellent. If it were me, I would not hesitate for a moment to go for that combination, especially considering you have a functional telephoto zoom already.
06-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

In your shoes I would definitely get the 18-135. It will overlap with your existing glass rather than leaving a gap in the 55-75mm range, as well as offering weather resistance, and you'll have exactly the same zoom range with two lenses instead of three.

The overlap will enable you to compare the quality of one lens over the other. Who knows? You may find that the old-timer isn't all that bad, and it should offer you a slight speed advantage in the 75-135mm range if you really need it. My experience with at least one older zoom (not a Pentax in my case) is that it did its best work at the wide end, and the two may complement each other.

Personally, I would keep the old lens regardless of what happens. It's bought and paid for, after all, and you lose nothing by hanging on to it. Besides, now that you're not paying for each and every shot you take with it, you might find taking it out and shooting the hell out of it to be a lot of fun, regardless of the results.
06-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Back in 2011, I bought the 18-135 WR zoom for my K-5, which was then the Pentax flagship. It was to be the only lens I took on a trip to Hawaii with my wife for our 50th anniversary. I figured the weather resistant feature would be great for Hawaii's rather constant rain, and the zoom range would cover me for most situations, with no need to change lenses and introduce the possibility of dust on the sensor. I made the perfect decision. Occasionally, I wished for more reach for distant subjects, but that was probably the case in only 5% or so of the shots I took. Later cropping in post pretty much made up for that problem. The lens is not the sharpest available (only the primes seem to meet that criterion), but still very good indeed. This lens is now mounted on my K-3 so I can "grab and go" for spur-of-the-moment shots, knowing that the chances are very good that I'll get a very acceptable shot. I leave the mode selector on "green" so if I don't have time to fine-tune the mode, it will still turn out well for "quick and dirty" shots where time is of the essence. Turns out it's now my most used lens, and the K-3's increased resolution over the K-5 materially enhances the quality of the results with it. Focusing with the K-3 is quick and quiet, and reliability has not been an issue even though I have one of the earlier issues of the lens. I have relegated my 18-55 WR to my K-5, which now serves as a backup unit.

For wider angle shots, I have the 15mm Limited, and for extremely crisp macro work, I have the 35mm Macro Limited. For low light shots, the FA 50mm f/1.4 works nicely, and for more reach, I have the now-out-of-print 18-250mm. So I'm pretty much covered, but that 18-135mm serves well as my "do all" lens. I highly recommend it for you. By the way, many of my Hawaiian shots with the lens are featured on the site below.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
06-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses! I was leaning toward the 135 (especially at that price) but was afraid I might be giving up something. (You don't know what you don't know...) I haven't ordered it yet, but I am so excited about my new camera. I have been dreaming of this day for a number of years (even before my film SLR died) and have missed taking photos immensely. I was always the designated vacation photographer, a responsibility I sadly had to forego here of late. But, I'm going to Alaska in August, and there was no way I was going without a great camera! Thanks again, everyone.
06-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photo dawn Quote
but was afraid I might be giving up something.
The only advantage I can think of with the 18-55 is that it is slightly smaller and lighter.
One more plus for the 18-135 that I didn't notice mention of here is that focus is very quiet (and perhaps somewhat faster).
I have both and think the 18-135 wins hands down.
06-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That price for the K-S2 + DA 18-135 is excellent. If it were me, I would not hesitate for a moment to go for that combination, especially considering you have a functional telephoto zoom already.
Just pulled the trigger and so thankful that I did . . . I got the last one at that price! I would have been so mad at myself if I'd waited and missed it. I did see that B&H has the same kit for $914, so the price does seem to be coming down.

Did I mention that I'm excited?!??!!

06-09-2015, 04:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Excellent! Now go out and have fun with it.

I was surprised, when I dug out some travel pictures dating back 20 years or so, just how many keepers I had out of the 400-odd shots I took. I think it's because I knew I might never get the chance to go back, so I made the most of each shot.

Digital offers us the excuse to go crazy with our shutters and experiment a lot, and maybe that changes us for the worse as photographers, but on the other hand there are a few of those film shots I wish I could go back and re-take... and for that reason alone, the opportunity to review instantaneously is IMO a huge gain to the hobby (and to the profession, for those of us who make it our living).