Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Yeah, lens hood is a must with this lens. Anyway here are some 100% crops from the above, you can see how minimal - if any the CA is there.. negligible . Now review them , see my comment, and then the answer to the question from OP should become clear

Note how sharp single leaves are - also remember I didn't sharpen these photos more than Lightroom does by default when images are loaded!

Some of these tiny fruits are out of focus because the focal plane went right behind them.

Look how resolution allowed to resolve these microscopic hair ! - also tiny tiny fruit fly sitting , you can clearly recognize it !

No trace of CA's at f5.6 to my eyes
I took some photos in lunch time-it's sunny southern California at 1 PM, and you know what I mean. I used a flower-type hood which is not very deep. The first one at f2.8 and the next at f4. First one shows some CA in nearby (framed) tree, but due to the silhouette-effect, this CA is unavoidable, I guess. The second shot is at f4 and I don't see CA in tree leaves. If I'm not wrong, I don't think I need to worry about CA from this lens, right?

What I'm impressed is the expression of this lens-as the first one shows, a distant tree in the center has some kind of 3-D pop. And also the last picture-I took this scene with various lenses, but this takumar shows certain quality that only this one can exhibit. It's like 35mm film? not sure but some kind of nostalgia-like quality. I think I'd really love this lens!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by ychousa; 06-17-2015 at 09:40 PM.
06-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
I took some photos in lunch time-it's sunny southern California at 1 PM, and you know what I mean. I used a flower-type hood which is not very deep. The first one at f2.8 and the next at f4. First one shows some CA in nearby (framed) tree, but due to the silhouette-effect, this CA is unavoidable, I guess. The second shot is at f4 and I don't see CA in tree leaves. If I'm not wrong, I don't think I need to worry about CA from this lens, right?
As I told you, in real life usage scenarios - there is no visible CA that one should worry about. In such harshly lit conditions as yours, you should not only have the deepest possible lens hood on, but also a polarizing filter ( to cut the haze down ) and stop the lens down . Knowing what to use , when and how is a major part of this craft

What I'm impressed is the expression of this lens-as the first one shows, a distant tree in the centre has some kind of 3-D pop. And also the last picture-I took this scene with various lenses, but this takumar shows certain quality that only this one can exhibit. It's like 35mm film? not sure but some kind of nostalgia-like quality. I think I'd really love this lens!
Yeah, I know what you mean. This lens will grow on you with time, it takes practice to focus properly and quickly, also some experience to know all its strengths and weaknesses .Once you get there, you will be able to create amazing photography with it. Also some skill in PP helps a lot- remember on a DSLR what you produce is essentially a negative, which have to be developed.

F1.4
06-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
As I told you, in real life usage scenarios - there is no visible CA that one should worry about. In such harshly lit conditions as yours, you should not only have the deepest possible lens hood on, but also a polarizing filter ( to cut the haze down ) and stop the lens down . Knowing what to use , when and how is a major part of this craft
Your boy's pictures always amaze me! I've read some negative opinions about using a filter on, so I try not to use one-I currently have a UV filter only.
But do you have good experience with a polarizer, especially for super tak? I was eyeing on a Marumi one but have not bought one yet.
I've thought if I produce more videos, then I would buy an ND filter, but it's for later when I really need it.
If you think a polirizer works well with this takumar, I'd definitely consider it.
06-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your boy's pictures always amaze me! I've read some negative opinions about using a filter on, so I try not to use one-I currently have a UV filter only.
But do you have good experience with a polarizer, especially for super tak? I was eyeing on a Marumi one but have not bought one yet.
I've thought if I produce more videos, then I would buy an ND filter, but it's for later when I really need it.
If you think a polirizer works well with this takumar, I'd definitely consider it.
UV or Skylight filters are here rally a waste of money. But everyone should have a good circular polarizer.

06-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
UV or Skylight filters are here rally a waste of money. But everyone should have a good circular polarizer.
Actually, a Pentax skylight filter came with the lens, but I took it off when testing a lens after the first day. I've put off purchasing a polarizer, but I guess now it's the time
06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Actually, a Pentax skylight filter came with the lens, but I took it off when testing a lens after the first day. I've put off purchasing a polarizer, but I guess now it's the time
UV filters were necessary to remove haze when shooting black and white film, but color film since around 1970 has had adequate filtration built into the emulsion. Skylight filters were of some use when shooting in open shade up until the mid-sixties. Both have been used by camera stores to increase their margin ever since. Some insist on using them as "protection", but they really just degrade the IQ...
06-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your boy's pictures always amaze me! I've read some negative opinions about using a filter on, so I try not to use one-I currently have a UV filter only. But do you have good experience with a polarizer, especially for super tak? I was eyeing on a Marumi one but have not bought one yet. I've thought if I produce more videos, then I would buy an ND filter, but it's for later when I really need it. If you think a polirizer works well with this takumar, I'd definitely consider it.
thanks for the kind words. and yeah - polarizer works great and really does make the difference. if only there is enough light, I recommend to use it. Other than that I am not using with this lens any filter - only deep lens hood.

However, I do use sometime UV and Skylight when in an environment which is excessively dusty or wet - like on the beach or in the playground with some breeze. mainly just to avoid later cleaning the front glass which is always the pain

06-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Both have been used by camera stores to increase their margin ever since. Some insist on using them as "protection", but they really just degrade the IQ...
Yeh, I agree (I've read alot of threads like that.) The only reason that I bought a UV filter was for easy cleaning after I visit beaches. A place like Huntington Beach, oh my, those small particles attach to glass surface are terrible! Thanks for the info!

---------- Post added 06-18-15 at 02:06 PM ----------

However, I do use sometime UV and Skylight when in an environment which is excessively dusty or wet - like on the beach or in the playground with some breeze. mainly just to avoid later cleaning the front glass which is always the pain
Yep, I totally agree!