Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must have some luck then.
I have a Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 8 blade 7 element that I purchased for $70.

06-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Here's an idea....for well under $80 you could buy an early version Super-Takumar 55/1.8 for creamy, glowing bokeh (i.e. not the S-M-C or SMC versions; their coatings cut more of the glow out). It might to heresy to say this, but if I was forced to choose between the "expensive" Takumar 50/1.4 or the "cheap" 55/1.8 it would be a tough choice....The 55/1.8 is nothing like the M50 in terms of rendering and the 5mm alone makes a difference.
06-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whether it's worth the price depends on your motivation for buying it. Do you want a certain look, a particular focal length or do you simply want it? If you want it and will feel unfulfilled until you get one, then it probably is worth it. For me it depends on the format - for APS-C 50mm is nowhere as a focal length, I've only used my FA43 on film (it doesn't work for me on APS-C either).

I have an SMC-Tak 50/1.4 (7 element I think) which I've only used on my Spotmatics - I bought it (advertised as a 49mm lens) with a SPII for about $80, I wouldn't pay current ebay prices and can't understand Canon shooters paying stupid prices and lust after them the way they do.
06-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I have an SMC-Tak 50/1.4 (7 element I think) which I've only used on my Spotmatics - I bought it (advertised as a 49mm lens) with a SPII for about $80, I wouldn't pay current ebay prices and can't understand Canon shooters paying stupid prices and lust after them the way they do.
It just means Canon doesn't have any good legacy lenses...and FD lenses don't work without optical correction.

06-09-2015, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
you should be fairly close to the subject.
or the subject distance to background should be substantially greater than the lens distance to subject.
06-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If I lost mine, I would pay 200 for one in vg condition. Mine is falling apart, so I'll have to spend a bit just to get it repaired.

This one was wide open, sooc:

Last edited by ChatMechant; 10-07-2016 at 09:11 AM.
06-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote

Here's a dreamy photo from my month of shots....
The picture is fantastic-looks like taken wide open, right?. Thanks for sharing your story.

---------- Post added 06-10-15 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
If I lost mine, I would pay 200 for one in vg condition. Mine is falling apart, so I'll have to spend a bit just to get it repaired.

This one was wide open, sooc:
Great rendition, especially for the second one! Looks soft, but very artistic. Thanks for sharing.

06-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My answer would be yes, for one in very good-excellent condition. Like others said, it's sharp wide open with great bokeh (ala Sigma EX 50/85 f1.4) and better zeiss-like colors and 3d rendering.
06-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And these two don't do it? The M 50mm f1.7 is pretty good in my experience (don't have a 43mm). But keep in mind, for dreamy bokeh you need to take the shot properly. You need to use a relatively low f-number, and you should be fairly close to the subject. You won't get bokeh with a 43mm lens if you are aiming at a person 50 metres away from you, or if you use aperture above f4. To get the most bokeh you need to minimum focus distance and the lowest f number. This gives you maximum blur. And a high focal length! So I would recommend you try a lens between 55mm and 85mm. Think about buying the Samyang 85mm f1.4 - great price, really bright aperture, but MF only, and might be difficult to focus without buying a focusing screen. This is the main problem of bokeh lenses.
Because even though a 50mm f1.4 lens will give you more blur than the 50mm f1.7 or 43mm f1.9, it might not be as drastic a difference as you want.

As to the question of the thread - it might be. And even if you don't like it, you can then sell it for a minimal loss.
Thanks for your great tips, Na Horuk! M 50mm is a great little lens and I love it. Maybe an LBA? or my taste on vintage stuff? but I wanted to try an M42 lens and have already bought an adapter at a good price. So at relatively cheap price (under $80~$100?) I wanted to get an f1.4 lens. For me, longer than 50mm is not very much needed-that's why I'm eyeing on this super tak. Thanks.
06-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
UPDATE: I spotted an 8-element 50mm at around $150 and pulled the trigger. First one is the 50mm tak taken with my 43mm and the rest are quick samples taken today at f1.4 only-mostly PP'd for sharpness and resizing. It looks it has some CA, especially when wide open, but it may be due to a filter attached to it. I need to find out more to see its real value of course. Just wanted to share some pics real quick.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

As many stated, keep the subject close to you and background far away, that'd do the trick ^^ I think the FA43 is more than enough to bring great bokeh to life ^^ it's a limited for a reason IMHO
If you want dreamy/legendary bokeh, buy a Helios (~25$)
example :
06-16-2015, 05:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
UPDATE: I spotted an 8-element 50mm at around $150 and pulled the trigger. First one is the 50mm tak taken with my 43mm and the rest are quick samples taken today at f1.4 only-mostly PP'd for sharpness and resizing. It looks it has some CA, especially when wide open, but it may be due to a filter attached to it. I need to find out more to see its real value of course. Just wanted to share some pics real quick.
Great buy! Your lens seems to be sharp from those few samples. The CA might be caused by filter - I had loss of contrast and flaring increased , so from then on I kept using only deep lens hood. Congratulation on your purchase , and the price was great ! ( UK- wise) .

About bokeh and other qualities - it is not only that! Once you learn how to focus quickly and accurately, your ST will give you much better keepers rate with manual focusing, than your AF limited. Guaranteed for fast moving objects, kids , sports, low light etc.. Trust me , I know from experience
06-16-2015, 05:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

congrats on the buy, the last photo is awesome, great color and sharpness
06-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
As many stated, keep the subject close to you and background far away, that'd do the trick ^^ I think the FA43 is more than enough to bring great bokeh to life ^^ it's a limited for a reason IMHO
If you want dreamy/legendary bokeh, buy a Helios (~25$)
example :
Great shot! Because I've switched to Pentax system, I wanted to experience THE legendary super takumar If I don't like it for any reason, I can always sell it. Basically I don't like to keep overlapping lenses, unless they give some different values. I'll see if ST gives any different value from 43mm or M50 f1.7 to me.

Last edited by ychousa; 06-16-2015 at 08:07 AM.
06-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
Basically I don't like to keep overlapping lenses, unless they give some different values. I'll see if ST gives any different value from 43mm or M50 f1.7 to me.
me neither but looking at the last photo, the ST brings something to the table here but I think where the ST shine the most is in portrait with the smooth bokeh and center sharpness !