Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 200mm / K3II & Motorsport

I am planning on going to the Silverstone F1 GP this year, and first time I have been to a proper race weekend rather than odd motorsport days.

I was looking to get a longer lens later in the year but It looks like I am going to Silverstone on relatively short notice, lucky me!

After quite a bit of research in the past 6 months or so I had narrowed it down to the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and the DA*200mm, and heavily leaning towards the DA* mainly as its a LOT lighter, more compact and WR. My main concern is that if its too heavy I wont take it anywhere.
The WR may well come into its own here with the Silverstone weather, and future uses!

The Tamron is about £470 new here, and the DA*200 go for around £400-£450 used, and around £700 new, I would be looking for a used copy.

I had an M*300 for a little while and found the size/weight about the limit of what I would really want to carry around, it happens to be around the same size (focused to infinity) as the DA*200.

The plan is to take a kit of the K3II and the DA10-17, Tamron 28-75 and FA135 + a new to me Telephoto Lens.

I have my shiny new K3II and looking to hear of anyone who has used the K3 (bit soon for the II version) with the DA*200 and your experience with AF speed, tracking and accuracy, especially with fast moving vehicles.

06-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a DA*200 and like it a lot, but it does have issues with purple fringing on high contrast subjects. It is incredibly sharp at F4, where most of that [PF] disappears, although the DA*60-250 is supposedly much sharper at 200mm - I sold mine in a rush to get a D800e unfortunately. Focus is not fast however and you'd probably need to "pre-focus" to get the best results with motorsports.

Last edited by bossa; 06-09-2015 at 10:59 PM.
06-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Where are you sitting at Silverstone? I was there for motogp and shot with a sigma 50-500. I'll have to look back and see what my preferred focal length was. I suspect a DA*300 might be a better choice
06-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still considering a 200 ƒ2.8, while the 60-250 should be a little sharper, the big thing with the 200 is the less corrected CA, wide open fringing etc. Despite that, if you look at the images, the 200 is still fine lens. I just Pentax would update it, put in a ring motor, better CA correction, and juice up the AF. It's a focal length that really should be top notch. That being said, I still may go for one to go with my 18-135 when I want to save weight. It's a half pound lighter than the 60-250.

The 60-250 and 200 are within the range where sample deviation could come into play. There's no guarantee if you have one 200 and one 60-250, the 60-250 will be sharper, at least from my reading of the charts.

06-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm still considering a 200 ƒ2.8, while the 60-250 should be a little sharper
I'd be interested in your observations of the DA* 200 if you do buy one. For me, I ended up with a $225 (Purchased at KEH) K 200 2.5 to hold me over for now. Learning to shoot manual in focus all over again has been a learning curve, but fun. I ended up purchasing the Pentax O-ME53 eyepiece for now to help me focus better.
06-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You say you have the FA 135, and plan on taking it, and you also show the F70-210 in your signature,
the difference between 135mm and 200mm is not that much, with all the pixels you have in your K3, you can comfortably crop from 135 to 200ish

Rough rule of thumb is to have lenses double or half focal length from each other,

I would suggest you look a solution that gets you near 300mm,
for motor sport, I would think zoom too, lots of near->far and back again.

just my 2¢
06-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob, can lend you my 60-250 and 1.4x TC if you like?
I'm taking it to the Goodwood Festival of Speed on 26 June, but you can have it after then.

06-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
Where are you sitting at Silverstone? I was there for motogp and shot with a sigma 50-500. I'll have to look back and see what my preferred focal length was. I suspect a DA*300 might be a better choice
Its not confirmed but likely to be in one of the hospitality areas. My main concern with the DA*300 is really the size/weight

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
You say you have the FA 135, and plan on taking it, and you also show the F70-210 in your signature,
the difference between 135mm and 200mm is not that much, with all the pixels you have in your K3, you can comfortably crop from 135 to 200ish

Rough rule of thumb is to have lenses double or half focal length from each other,

I would suggest you look a solution that gets you near 300mm,
for motor sport, I would think zoom too, lots of near->far and back again.

just my 2¢
Yes, I had thought of that, with the 135 I can crop, then again with the 200mm, I do indeed have the F70-210 but I don't take it anywhere as its VERY noisy AF and mine was a cheap copy, when focusing it racks a bit on the body.
The DA*300 is a reasonable amount more as well, north of £600-£700 used.

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
Rob, can lend you my 60-250 and 1.4x TC if you like?
I'm taking it to the Goodwood Festival of Speed on 26 June, but you can have it after then.
Thanks Phil, again! I may take you up on that If I don't sort anything!

---------- Post added 06-10-15 at 08:20 AM ----------

Also to add, I don't really plan to do a lot of motorsport shooting (other than this weekend), and most of my normal range is landscape/portrait.
06-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the three lenses you are considering.
The DA*200 is a stellar lens in my opinion and will need a bit of practice with motor sport to get the best out of it, I have used it for motocross and got some great results with it, but also had a few misses.
The DA*300 I have used for road bike racing and motocross and it performed pretty well, the extra reach was very useful. Size & weight were no issue, again, imho.
The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 I have on the D800 and it is a good performer. I have also used a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on the K3 and that is my preferred combination, although it IS heavy.
A lot of motor sport success depends on your position and access...and patience.
Have fun.
06-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just done a test with the K3II and FA135, not bad at all, shot @ f3.5. Little PP with default sharpening that Photoshop applies.

Rabbit outside the office window:

And 100% Crop

Not exactly fast moving though I plan to test it with some cars on a busy road.
06-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #11
Forum Member

Silverstone is an F1 circuit, and I'm afraid that means you will be a long way back from the action and usually have at least one catch fence that you have to shoot over, under or through. With only 200mm, you're opportunities for tightly framed shots without a lot of cropping will be very limited. Personally, I would go with a zoom - either a 70-200mm or the 60-250mm - to give you some framing flexibility, as you will no doubt have to get creative with your shots and use the fences, barriers, crowds etc around you for context. To be frank with you, I wouldn't even bother trying to take 'serious' photos on race day. The venue will be absolutely packed meaning moving around is almost impossible, and getting a spot right up against the fencing very difficult. I'd limit my photography to the two practice days and have a beer while watching the racing on race day itself!

Simon.
06-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Simon, thanks for the advice. We are getting grandstand seats so should be above the fences hopefully.
I am taking Phil up on his offer for the 60-250 and may well hire the 200 or 300 from SRS for the weekend too.
I am thinking long term that the 200 might be best, I think it would suit most of my photography needs.
06-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Hi Simon, thanks for the advice. We are getting grandstand seats so should be above the fences hopefully.
I am taking Phil up on his offer for the 60-250 and may well hire the 200 or 300 from SRS for the weekend too.
I am thinking long term that the 200 might be best, I think it would suit most of my photography needs.
Good call to do the trial. I'm going to echo what Simon says.

However I fear that you may be dis-appointed with your results and this will have nothing to do with the lens and everything to do with your position (your physical position trackside).
Shooting from a grandstand is not an optimum scenario because you are going to be a long way (relatively) from the action and above it which is going to make it difficult to get any attitude on the cars. You may get some "interest" shots looking down into cockpit but from a pureist motorsport angle....imho....not the place to be. Take note of where the pros are standing and try and get as close to them as you can or emulate their position/angle the best you can...which will be difficult because they are often protected by screens from the average punter (think about it, thats not by accident).

For example I was at Circuit of the Americas as a spectator and all the good photographic positions were in-accessible due to 7 or 8 foot high mesh screens. This is totally understandable because these people pay significant money to get these preferred positions and dont want you or me clicking away over their shoulder in competition to them.

Enjoy the racing.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-11-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling