Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Rikenon XR vs. SMC Pentax-M , 35mm f:2.8

Hello,

I've arrived to a point on which I decided to buy a 35mm lens for my ME Super. Now, I've noticed that the prices of the Pentax-M glass have increased since 3-4 years ago even though the lenses are older, more used, etc. I would be interested to know if the Ricoh XR version would be at the same or at least close optical level to the SMC Pentax-M 35mm f:2.8. Are there resolution charts or similar to compare the two lenses more in detail ? How about flare, contrast, etc.

Thanks a lot :-)

06-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original Ricoh XR Rikenon 35mm f/2.8 was very much an equal to and many then said better than the SMC Pentax M 35mm f/2.8. I had one of these while working at a camera store then. I saw a review and heard much talk among Pentax users then that it was suspected the Rikenon was actually a Pentax. It looked and felt different than other Rikenons and appeared very similar to the Pentax. It was a lot less money and performed extremely well for me so I kept it until I later bought a 35 f/2.
There are a couple of third party lens reviews among the Ricoh lenses here on the PF and people seem to have a high opinion of this lens these days too. Pentax users usually stay away from the later model P series Ricoh lenses which tend to appear of a cheaper build using more plastic and can cause mounting issues due to the Ricoh pin.
06-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above, the XR Rikenon 35/2.8 has a decent reputation. There are various legends regarding the XR Rikenons in general and whether Ricoh and Pentax collaborated on the design and manufacture of several different lenses. In case you are interested, both lenses are reviewed on this site:

Ricoh Rikenon xr 35mm f2.8 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Steve
06-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the XR Rikenon 35mm 2.8 and the quite highly touted XR Rikenon 28mm 2.8. Both are quality lenses but compared to the 35 M Pentax I simply cannot comment as have never used any of the M series.
I can tell You this. My 35mm XR copy although very good , simply doesn't meet the image standards that the SMC-K 35mm 3.5 Pentax lens does for landscape as far as sharpness and colors.......Period.
By all means its a great lens..... and if the price is right grab it as no Legacy glass is gonna cut it like the much more expensive K 35mm is going to . Prices range from about $40-$100 for a lens that isn't seen very often.
Don't take all this as a negative......I could live the rest of my life without complaining or feeling lens envy if all I owned was the 35mm and 28mm Rikenon XR lenses and would never look back.

06-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, guys
06-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are various legends regarding the XR Rikenons in general and whether Ricoh and Pentax collaborated on the design and manufacture of several different lenses.
Given that Ricoh went with the K mount for their film SLRs, it would not surprise me in the least. It's a beautiful irony, really, that Ricoh ended up owning Pentax.
06-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Given that Ricoh went with the K mount for their film SLRs, it would not surprise me in the least. It's a beautiful irony, really, that Ricoh ended up owning Pentax.
And they look good on the k30 and K3 ! Ricoh and Ricoh.....cant beat that !