Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Tucked away in the tele converter case and mostly hidden buy advertising sat one lonely Tamron 1.4x tele converter. It had to come home with me. So now I've decided to go with my original plan before I started doing research and getting goofy and purchase the Tamron 90mm macro. I may be wrong but I've read that tele converters work best with branded lenses.

Thank everyone.
You lucky duck - that's a cool find! (And personally I was rooting for the Tamron 90... so now you know!)

06-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You lucky duck - that's a cool find! (And personally I was rooting for the Tamron 90... so now you know!)
Yeah, I was very happy.
06-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
If I may make a suggestion, have you considered buying used?

Tomorrow it will be one week since I bought one of these: Pentax Lens Review Database - 100mm F4 Macro

I bought it at B&H. They had it listed in used category #9 - "shows signs of use, but very clean."

Very clean? This lens could have been listed as like new or demo! Not a scratch anywhere!

I tested it, and it works perfectly both optically and mechanically.

$229.00 before tax.

I too couldn't decide which macro lens to buy, then I thought of getting a used lens since two of my favorite Canon lenses were used, and they both delivered. A Canon 50mm f1.2 and a Canon 100mm f4.0 macro.

I should have some worthy test shots to post at the weekend.

Right now, there's a Pentax 100mm A macro at Adorama: Pentax-"a" 100 4.0 Macro Lns W/cs *49
and, the Pentax 50mm M macro is still at B&H: Used Pentax | Macro 50mm f/4 SMCP-M Manual Focus Lens for I held this lens in my hands, and it felt and looked as good as the 100mm, though the focusing ring is narrower than the one pictured.

Yes, you are taking a chance of not getting exactly what a dealer says when you buy used online, buy in my case their description was very conservative, and I got a great lens at a very good price. If, in the end it doesn't live up to your expectations you can always return it.

Good luck in your search.

Mike
I have to agree with Mike that you should consider the Pentax-M 100mm f4 Macro as well. I got mine for $99 plus shipping on the fleabay and it is a great lens. The DOF is so narrow with macro shots that I don't think f4 is a limitation for close up work. I am regularly shooting at f11 to get a camera body in focus for my product shots.

06-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #19

After selling the old and very heavy Tamron SP 90 (loved it though), which needed an extender to reach1:1, I bought the SP Di 90 f 2.8 1:1. It's not as solid as the old one, but the construction is ok, and the light weight really is an advantage. Adding a Kenko Teleplus Pro 1.4 results in a relatively cheap "upgrade"with almost no quality loss. On manual focus it's a pleasure to work with this lens (or combination). The photos this lens produces are just great.

06-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

KEH has a Tamron 90 for $339 in like new- condition. If you got this one, you wouldn't have to mess with the rebate.
KEH Camera: Pentax Auto Focus - Non-Mfg Fixed Focal Lenses - 90 F2.8 TAMRON MACRO SP 1:1 (55) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS

Personally, I have both the DA35 macro, which is a 1:1 lens and the A-100/4 macro, which is a 1:2 lens, which fulfill my macro desires. I got the A100/4 for just a bit over $200 from a Fleabay auction; it is in gorgeous condition and looks like it's hardly been used. I haven't played with it that much since I've had it, but I like the results I've seen so far.

Heather
06-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Can't recommend the Tamron 90mm macro enough. I only used the Pentax 100mm Macro for a short while, but the Tamron looked pretty close with results. After taking it home, I am exceptionally pleased with the images the Tamron lens allows me to capture.
I was also exceptionally pleased with the $200+ difference in price!
06-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sheesh. Now that I'd changed my mind for the umpteenth time and placed an order for the Sigma 105mm all the Tamron fasn come out of the woodwork. Thanks for the advice. I know thier both very good lenses. Only reason I went with the sigma was that the local Ritz let me look at one. I was very satisfied with what I'd seen. Unfortunately it was a Canon mount and they didn't have one for Pentax. Although I politely told them that if they are gonna sell Pentax cameras that it might be nice to carry a couple of accessories.

Heather - I wish I'd seen that yesterday. I looks at KEH and obviously missed it. That would have pulled the choice to the Tamron very quickly.

Thanks again everyone.
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Here's my 100mm f4.0 M macro that I bought recently: 16-45 @ f11 @ 1/30 sec.

Here are Lady Galadriel and Arwen discussing the mystical qualities of Pentax glass. 100mm M macro @ f11 @ 1/30 sec.

Mike