And now the Jupiter 9

And the second set

Regards,
Haroon

06-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mughal113 Quote
So here we are again with another set First the Tak, wide open/stopped down to 2.8
OK, I reviewd all images and my conclusion is as follows : Auto Takumar is slightly less sharp in the center than Jupiter - when both lenses are shot wide open in centre Jupiter wins. BUT Jupiter is already stopped down to F2. So I would call it draw because sides are equally sharp/soft in both lenses wide open.

When stopped down - Takumar is plainly sharper across the frame, with Jupiter being equally good in the centre I think and worse on edges and corners. I would imagine so considering the Auto takumar is faster and so stopped down more at F2.8.

Now which shot I like more : Auto Takumar has smoother background and bokeh and to my eyes is more contrasty with better colour. Jupiter slightly washed , but with touch better sharpness in the centre when wide open. It would be interesing to see both lenses shot at F2 - but knowing how my copy was good , I would pick Auto Takumar probably since I liked it when I had used it, but in real life the jupiter might be more useful to you ( if you tend to shoot more wide open with subject centered ),
06-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks again manntax for taking the time. I too liked the colors of takumar better.
I have a Canon 100mm f/2. That wide open too seems to be bit soft and picks up on sharpness when stopped down. I believe this is how the fast primes behave.
06-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mughal113 Quote
I believe this is how the fast primes behave.
Yeah, with some exceptions like Super Takumar 1.4 8 element which is very sharp from wide open. I also once handled Chinon 50 1.4 and that lens was also extremely sharp wide open, but for the most part fastest lenses are usually pretty soft wide open - especially visible on digital. On film many older lenses tend to be very sharp from wide open, probably due to less pronounced aberrations (like CA, PF ) on film than on sensor.

06-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #20

Original Poster
Well, here is the drop scene of the whole confusion. I went to the seller, still not sure about which one to keep, and came to know that he has a Nikon 50mm 1.2 for sale Took a few test shots and brought that home

The first shot I took after bringing it home

Another casual shot (the silver distraction on two of the pencils)

And the one I took this morning.

Sorry for the watermark, I always forget to disable that before exporting.

-Haroon
06-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AT 85/1.8 was the "normal" lens on my Spotmatic from the late '70's until I got stupid and sold it when I decided the crop factor of my *istDS and the alleged advantages of newer lenses made it expendible.

Shortly thereafter I underwent an elective surgery procedure called a 'plexotomy' -- that's where they replace your belly-button with a plexiglas plug so you can see what you're doing when you've got your head up your @ss.

My M50/1.7's a close match on APS-C but still . . .

Last edited by pacerr; 06-14-2015 at 10:58 AM.
06-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on the new lens!
To avoid any hasty conclusions, the apparent differences in wide-open sharpness are again mostly due to focusing errors. I've been there, I know how hard it is to get that right. Thanks for the comparison.