Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 01:37 AM   #16

Pentax needs to keep aperture rings

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I suspect any new full frame offerings will not have an aperture ring, which will rule them out for use on the LX. For lens options, the A 35-70 F4 has better reviews than your current A 35-70 F3.5-4.5. If you want to go really light weight you could look at the A 35-80 F4-5.6 (possibly to accompany the A 50 F1.7). I have the similar FA version, and the performance surprises me at times (even if the ratings aren't that great).
I will be REALLY UPSET with Pentax if they forego aperture rings on any new FF lenses they introduce. Why would you remove the ability for people to shoot film (why many people still enjoy) when you could, for so little money, broaden your lens's appeal even a little bit? Surely they must know a lot of people still shoot vintage Pentax equipment.

I don't shoot film. I HATE film. Film is the reason I never took photos until I was in my 30's. You have to pay to buy film, and then you have to pay to process film, and you have to schlep it around all over the place (or, as the 12-year-old me, get someone to schlep it for you). Digital is awesome. You just take photos and then you have them on your computer, or you can print them out, or you can e-mail them to a lab and they will send you nice looking prints (limited, of course, by the quality of the photos you send them).

But I don't begrudge other people their film. Why should Pentax? I thought, when I "signed on" in '08, that they were pursuing a philosophy of compatibility -- if it's easy to make work, we'll make it work. I'd understand if they abandoned their mount system and developed a new one for digital, but they didn't. Which is one of the big reasons I bought in the first place. Lack of an aperture ring would signify to me that they're willing to abandon me in the future if it would save them a buck.

06-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
For lens options, the A 35-70 F4 has better reviews than your current A 35-70 F3.5-4.5.
Sounds pretty good, I'll see if I can find a copy of that one. Thanks!
06-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^ The M version seems to be a sharper lens and I thought more robust, plus f/2.8 ~ f/3.5 versus f/4 for the A. According to the reviews the increase in minimum aperture is quite linear as you zoom.

However it weighs over 100gm more than the A version and is outside your weight limit. Personally, I would carry the lens and just deal with the extra 100gm.

I carry a K28/3.5, K50/1.4, K85/1.8 and three filters (CP, YG and 81A) in a shoulder bag with my LX.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-14-2015 at 04:58 AM.
06-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I will be REALLY UPSET with Pentax if they forego aperture rings on any new FF lenses they introduce. Why would you remove the ability for people to shoot film (why many people still enjoy) when you could, for so little money, broaden your lens's appeal even a little bit? Surely they must know a lot of people still shoot vintage Pentax equipment.

I don't shoot film. I HATE film. Film is the reason I never took photos until I was in my 30's. You have to pay to buy film, and then you have to pay to process film, and you have to schlep it around all over the place (or, as the 12-year-old me, get someone to schlep it for you). Digital is awesome. You just take photos and then you have them on your computer, or you can print them out, or you can e-mail them to a lab and they will send you nice looking prints (limited, of course, by the quality of the photos you send them).

But I don't begrudge other people their film. Why should Pentax? I thought, when I "signed on" in '08, that they were pursuing a philosophy of compatibility -- if it's easy to make work, we'll make it work. I'd understand if they abandoned their mount system and developed a new one for digital, but they didn't. Which is one of the big reasons I bought in the first place. Lack of an aperture ring would signify to me that they're willing to abandon me in the future if it would save them a buck.
The reason given in the past for omitting the aperture ring has been weather resistance.

06-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
I'm not familiar with the LX but wouldn't it be possible to use one of the plastic fantastic FA's.
That's what I'm thinking, too. All of those lenses were designed for film so they ought to work fine. If you want something that feels better in the hand, I would suggest the M 24-35mm. It's almost as small as a prime lens and works great with film. You could combine it with a small telephoto zoom and have cover an extremely wide range in an almost pocketable combo.
06-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

First of all, you should consider whether or not you plan to do any AF (presumably digital in the future). Then the better FA or F lenses are a good consideration. As far as older zooms that cover somewhat wide to modest telephoto, really the A-series 35-105 is quite a bit better than most of the alternatives. It is especially good from 50mm on. I also wanted something small and light for street shots, and went with the FA 28-70 f/4. It isn't nearly in the same league for IQ as the 35-105; and the build is poor (but the lens is tiny and light).

If I was in your situation - and wanted to stick with the better-built manual focus lenses - your best bet would be to get either the m-series or a-series 24-50. They should be just light enough for you. Either type is equally functional on the LX. The A-series has a slightly better reputation - with the newer optical design and later coatings. The great thing about these two lenses is that they cover wider than the 35-105, and probably perform slightly better in the range where the lenses overlap. You would still have the 35-105 for your longer shooting range. That wider end will be fun for your street photography.

Its always a good idea to check the various reviews here at PentaxForums. They tend to be slightly inflated overall, but they'll give you a pretty good idea because the grade inflation tends to quite consistent - especially on the ones that have more than five reviews, or so.
06-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The reason given in the past for omitting the aperture ring has been weather resistance.
I understand this isn't your reason, Gene, so please don't take this personally:

I'm sure it's difficult to design zoom and focus rings that are weather resistant, too.

I'll forgive them on the APS-C lenses, since they don't fit on the Auto 110, anyway. (And it might not have had aperture rings.) But they need to figure out a way for FF. Doesn't the 150-450 have an aperture ring? I guess I could check myself . . .

HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW: no
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW: no

B*****ds! (Not sure how strongly Adam censors here . . . )

OK, fine, Pentax wins. Film is bad (I already knew that), compatibility is bad, all hail the digital revolution that forces you to replace equipment you love if you want to upgrade anything. I guess that means I shouldn't get too attached to any photographic system.

06-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BTW, as an LX and MX user, I have also seen the presence of an aperture ring as a reason to buy a particular lens or not. It is also handy when using the lens on a MIL camera with an adapter.
06-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Since this seems to be turning into a debate of WR vs aperture rings, I'll just end this by saying thanks for all the ideas! I'll see what I end up picking up.