Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Light walkabout lens recommendations?

Hey All!

I just got my new LX back from being resealed and I'm really eager to start shooting! However, I'm finding that my Pentax-A 35-105 f3.5 is a bit too heavy and bulky to lug around most days commuting to and from work especially when also carrying my heavy laptop bag. As such, I started using a pretty beat up Pentax-A 35-70 f3.5-4.5 instead. Not the sharpest lens in the bunch, sadly.

Could someone recommend a light, versatile and good quality walkabout lens? Should weigh no more than 350g and have an aperture ring. I mostly shoot street scenes and birds fearless enough to stay close.

06-12-2015, 01:33 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Tickolas Quote
I just got my new LX back from being resealed and I'm really eager to start shooting! However, I'm finding that my Pentax-A 35-105 f3.5 is a bit too heavy and bulky to lug around most days commuting to and from work especially when also carrying my heavy laptop bag. As such, I started using a pretty beat up Pentax-A 35-70 f3.5-4.5 instead. Not the sharpest lens in the bunch, sadly.

Could someone recommend a light, versatile and good quality walkabout lens? Should weigh no more than 350g and have an aperture ring. I mostly shoot street scenes and birds fearless enough to stay close.
Full frame? (LX is film, right?) FA43. Of course, it's not a zoom, and you'd have to find some really fearless birds. And when I think "street scenes," I usually think a bit wider -- FA31. Of course, the FA77 is a good fit for an "urban" telephoto. I would guess, however, that you're also looking for more vintage lenses (and not incredibly expensive ones). I've heard Pentax was considered the street shooter's brand back in "the day," but I don't know if that applies to their zooms. It does explain why the FA limiteds seem almost perfect for what you describe, though.
06-12-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with the LX but wouldn't it be possible to use one of the plastic fantastic FA's.
06-12-2015, 02:00 AM   #4

Try the F 35-70 SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database 3 primes in 1.

06-12-2015, 03:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would look around for a used Tamron 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 with Adaptall-mount. Or the FA 28-70 f/4 AL if you can stand that it is AF and has a low friction focus ring, but it is a great performer and I was very happy with mine that I used on my MZ-5 and MZ-5N. Very compact and light, 52mm filter thread - very sharp and contrasty, only let down by some distorsion at the 28 end.
06-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

For the K-5, the 40mm DA Limited pancake cannot be beaten as a compact walkaround if you don't mind a slight narrowness of field. The small size of that thing is amazing, and the 40XS is even smaller. (I don't own a 15 or 21 to compare.) The 50mm DA f/1.8 is longer, but very light thanks to its plastic construction, and is capable of really good quality.

Don't forget that an all-manual 40mm pancake from the film era also exists, if you can find one floating around. If compactness is everything, that's your go-to.
06-12-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
For the K-5, the 40mm DA Limited pancake cannot be beaten as a compact walkaround if you don't mind a slight narrowness of field. The small size of that thing is amazing, and the 40XS is even smaller. (I don't own a 15 or 21 to compare.) The 50mm DA f/1.8 is longer, but very light thanks to its plastic construction, and is capable of really good quality.

Don't forget that an all-manual 40mm pancake from the film era also exists, if you can find one floating around. If compactness is everything, that's your go-to.
Actually I own a 50mm DA f/1.8 and it's awesome, but it cannot be used on the LX since it lacks an aperture ring =) The duck picture above was taken using that very lens. The yellow bird was photographed using my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7.

Let me clarify my question, I'd like a nice and light zoom lens with focal lengths of between 24 and 80 or so.

06-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Heh. Sorry if you misunderstood me about the 50mm - I was recommending it in the context of the K-5, not the LX. I actually bought mine to replace a gone-missing Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, the loss of which I have never forgiven myself for.

Point taken about the zoom, though. Unfortunately I can't help you with that one - all my zooms in that range are DA.
06-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
Yeah, I have one of those too actually. It's not too fun to focus manually, the focus ring is really weirdly placed and it's not as sharp or as bright as the Pentax-AF 35-70mm F2.8. (Which admittedly is much heavier and bulkier!)
06-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On film/FF, I seriously can't wait to try the FA31 or the FA43 as walk around primes.
End of story.
06-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an LX too. If you can get ahold of them I'd recommend two primes. The A 100 2.8 SMC Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database & the M 50 1.7 https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F1.7-Lens.html. Each is excellent, small and light. Total weight if you carry both about 400 grams.
06-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I have an LX too. If you can get ahold of them I'd recommend two primes. The A 100 2.8 SMC Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database & the M 50 1.7 SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database. Each is excellent, small and light. Total weight if you carry both about 400 grams.
Hm, I've got a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7. I'm assuming they're optically identical? As for the 100mm that sounds like a great complement. I'll keep my eyes open! Thanks.
06-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hm, I've got a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7. I'm assuming they're optically identical? As for the 100mm that sounds like a great complement. I'll keep my eyes open! Thanks.
The A 100 is one of my very favorites on both film and digital, and because of its small size and light weight, an ideal walk around lens. Here are a few (digital) shots I took while walking around recently:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43...ml#post3247857.
06-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #14

You may be looking for something that doesn't exist yet

. . . Let me clarify my question, I'd like a nice and light zoom lens with focal lengths of between 24 and 80 or so.
I rather figured that's what you meant, but I love my 43 so I had to sidetrack your thread. And the DA40 would also probably be awesome. I believe the 40XS gets its 'XS' from its restricted image circle, so that would be a no-go on film.

I never had vintage Pentax lenses except for those I specifically picked up for my K200D (having come to the party late, after the film era). However, I remember toiling through the database looking up reviews on decent vintage zooms I might be able to get cheap. (Hint: they're all gone now.) I don't remember anything even approaching light or small except for the 35-70. In fact, I don't remember too many Pentax zooms getting wider than 35. (I didn't look at F or FA series, since they demanded a significant premium.) And all the ones that were longer than 70 seemed significantly large. Again, I've never shot any of them, but I think your best option might be to wait & see what Pentax designs for its upcoming FF line using its new, modern technowizardry.

Or what you might do is consider a vintage Sigma or Tokina or Tamron or something like that. The third-party MF zoom database seems to be filled with all sorts of wonky lenses. The only problem there is I'd almost want to shoot it myself, because many of them have a grand total of one review by someone who may or may not have known whether the lens was good.

I'm all for you succeeding, though -- those bird shots were beautiful.
06-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I don't remember anything even approaching light or small except for the 35-70. In fact, I don't remember too many Pentax zooms getting wider than 35. (I didn't look at F or FA series, since they demanded a significant premium.) And all the ones that were longer than 70 seemed significantly large. Again, I've never shot any of them, but I think your best option might be to wait & see what Pentax designs for its upcoming FF line using its new, modern technowizardry.
I suspect any new full frame offerings will not have an aperture ring, which will rule them out for use on the LX. For lens options, the A 35-70 F4 has better reviews than your current A 35-70 F3.5-4.5. If you want to go really light weight you could look at the A 35-80 F4-5.6 (possibly to accompany the A 50 F1.7). I have the similar FA version, and the performance surprises me at times (even if the ratings aren't that great).