Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
you're going to need to scratch your 500mm itch sooner or later. May as well be sooner!
Now THAT'S a note to post in the to-do list.

May as well get on with it!

06-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I would need A LOT more than 500mm to take surfing pics from here!

All you people with your oceans and your mountains make me sick!
Spoken like a true Mid-westerner.
06-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have one, it performs well.
Same here.
06-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Yeah, no 500mm zoom lens that costs less than a new Kia is going to be "great" on the test bench. I owned a 150-500mm for a while and really liked it. You can always resell it and get most of your money back if you don't fall in love with it.

If you're like me, and a lot of other people, you're going to need to scratch your 500mm itch sooner or later. May as well be sooner!
I like my A-400 and 1.4 TC. What you quickly discover is that 500 or 600 isn't enough... you always need more.

06-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 150-500 gives you the telephoto range you need to have a subject image in view. Then you are able to use different F stops for depth, exposure settings, and ISO to render the way you want the image to.look after you press the shutter button. When using it for surfing you would most likely want to set the lens OS setting (switch on barrel) to "1" and make sure your camera SR is off. That is what I do when I use it with my K-5 IIs. That way the two stabilization systems do not conflict with each other.
Sounds like a very useful tip. Thanks.

---------- Post added 06-13-15 at 06:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I like my A-400 and 1.4 TC. What you quickly discover is that 500 or 600 isn't enough... you always need more.
Hahaha, You called it. I was looking at the Sigma 2x teleconverter last night.
06-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I bought my 150-500 last November for $769 from B&H as Sigma had an instant rebate special around Black Friday. It's been $869 for a long time. I've heard talk that it's discontinued so grab it now because the new 150-600 is not going to be available with a Pentax mount in the near future and probably not at all.
06-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one, it performs well.
Same here. I recently bought mine from the Australian distributor for $849.

06-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I bought my 150-500 last November for $769 from B&H as Sigma had an instant rebate special around Black Friday. It's been $869 for a long time. I've heard talk that it's discontinued so grab it now because the new 150-600 is not going to be available with a Pentax mount in the near future and probably not at all.
i sent Sigma an email about the 150-600 and you are correct. Sigma emailed me back and said they won't be fully supporting Pentax. I guess that's good news for Pentax in that Sigma won't be competing with them as much but overall it seems like a bad sign.

If I couldn't have fount the the Sigma 150-500 I might have had to consider an exit strategy; I'm not happy about the 150-600 not being made in K-Mount but if the 150-500 works for me I'm still in for awhile. The 100mm difference may not be much on APS-C or FF but on the Q it's considerable. Heck, even on APC-C or FF it could even make a difference depending on the shot.

---------- Post added 06-15-15 at 09:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Same here. I recently bought mine from the Australian distributor for $849.

Another two votes of confidence. Thanks.
06-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Although I purchased my 150-500 last November, it's only now getting some serious use. It's a fantastic lens for the price! This was shot at 500mm and I could still crop it some. It was a bright day so I had no issues stopping down and still using a fast shutter speed. 1/640, ISO 800 and f/13 and cropped about 50%.

This lens is worth buying now while there are still some new ones floating around. After that, even getting a used one will be worth the purchase IMO. The 50-500 is still being built in K mount but it's $500 more. Would it be worth switching brands over third party lens purchases? I suppose that would be a good debate. Used Nikon D300's are running around $350 and up right now at KEH and the 150-500 is still available in Nikon mount at B&H for $724, you would have a formidable long lens solution for a little over $1K, not that I'm suggesting anybody do such a thing.
06-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was >< this close to switching to Nikon, then I got the lil'Bigma, then I got the K-3...

The D FA 150-450 is looking really nice, maybe when the price drops a bit in a year or two.
06-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Sounds like a very useful tip. Thanks.

You're welcome. The "1" setting on the barrel for the "OS" was recommended to me by Sigma representative after I purchased my lens. He said that it would be the "1" setting that I would use for wildlife such as birds in flight.

The handle on the barrel of the lens can also be adjusted to be to the left of the left side of the camera as it sitting level (the way I have it). I met a person shooting one day, and she asked me how to adjust it, because she had it adjusted to be under her camera as the camera was level instead of to the left, and I showed her. The handle can be loosened with a hand knob (screw action) then rotated to the location you would like on the barrel, then you just tighten the hand knob to secure it. With the handle to the left of the camera as it is level, I use my left hand to hold the lens handle and my right hand to hold the camera and press my shutter button. When I do a portrait shot, I use my left hand to hold the lens handle to support the camera and lens underneath, and my right hand to balance the camera on the top and press the shutter button. Of course it is your choice on where to locate the lens handle, but I just wanted to mention it. I am right handed.

I shoot handheld with it and would recommend it per the versatility, and I can tell you from experience that it can certainly be done. It may never be the case, but do not be intimidated by the suggestion that you have to use a tripod if you do not prefer one. I have done thousands of shots without one.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-16-2015 at 05:18 PM.
06-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're welcome. The "1" setting on the barrel for the "OS" was recommended to me by Sigma representative after I purchased my lens. He said that it would be the "1" setting that I would use for wildlife such as birds in flight.

The handle on the barrel of the lens can also be adjusted to be to the left of the left side of the camera as it sitting level (the way I have it). I met a person shooting one day, and she asked me how to adjust it, because she had it adjusted to be under her camera as the camera was level instead of to the left, and I showed her. The handle can be loosened with a hand knob (screw action) then rotated to the location you would like on the barrel, then you just tighten the hand knob to secure it. With the handle to the left of the camera as it is level, I use my left hand to hold the lens handle and my right hand to hold the camera and press my shutter button. When I do a portrait shot, I use my left hand to hold the lens handle to support the camera and lens underneath, and my right hand to balance the camera on the top and press the shutter button. Of course it is your choice on where to locate the lens handle, but I just wanted to mention it. I am right handed.

I shoot handheld with it and would recommend it per the versatility, and I can tell you from experience that it can certainly be done. It may never be the case, but do not be intimidated by the suggestion that you have to use a tripod if you do not prefer one. I have done thousands of shots without one.
Could I trouble you to post a picture of what you're describing?

---------- Post added 06-16-15 at 01:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Although I purchased my 150-500 last November, it's only now getting some serious use. It's a fantastic lens for the price! This was shot at 500mm and I could still crop it some. It was a bright day so I had no issues stopping down and still using a fast shutter speed. 1/640, ISO 800 and f/13 and cropped about 50%.

This lens is worth buying now while there are still some new ones floating around. After that, even getting a used one will be worth the purchase IMO. The 50-500 is still being built in K mount but it's $500 more. Would it be worth switching brands over third party lens purchases? I suppose that would be a good debate. Used Nikon D300's are running around $350 and up right now at KEH and the 150-500 is still available in Nikon mount at B&H for $724, you would have a formidable long lens solution for a little over $1K, not that I'm suggesting anybody do such a thing.
That's a great shot and I'm hoping to be able to go from surf photography on the coast to MC photograph in the canyons with the same lens.

I've not looked into Canikon until just recently; when I thought this lens was no longer available for Pentax. It's still up in the air, really. If I get a good copy, all is well. If not, there are only a few copies left to exchange for and if I can't find a good copy it will be a real concern for me. I've got my SpyderLensCal standing by to test the lens and make sure all is well. This is the most expensive lens I've ever bought so I'll be testing the $#!t out of it the first few days, including real world use with the Q and the K-30 at Trestles for which the lens is intended.

I'm quite excited, actually.

QuoteQuote:
not that I'm suggesting anybody do such a thing.
It should be a very real concern for "Pentax".

Seriously.

Unless Ricoh just wants to plunder the Pentax patents (and the 645Z would seriously indicate otherwise) they need to get their sh#* together and they need to do it soon. I'm not yelling "doomed" but if the FF isn't up to task "Pentax" brand might be destined to be the new "Bell & Howell". The 645Z has been encouraging, though, and I know most everyone here is in the "amateur" or "enthusiast" category and certainly fans of Pentax as an affordable quality brand, but the reality is professional associations get the masses juiced. The masses like the newest and latest and if Ricoh can turn the 645Z and the K3iiS2-FF (whatever) Pentax cameras into underdog professional "darlings" (assuming an eventual progression into the professional mainstream and "trickle down" tech into the larger consumer market) they may have a real business model on their hands (like Canikon). Proprietary lenses and support from third party lens makers will, most certainly, be key because Pentax is clearly lacking comparable (to Canikon) lens options and losing third-party K-mount support. For people like me who are willing to eat Ramen (at my age) in order to get the best they can afford to do what they want, comprehensive lens options, proprietary or third-party, mean everything.

Having stated all this, the 645Z is the bellwether product for Ricoh. If they follow through with a professional FF body that does for FF that the 645Z did for MF they are going to create a very real buzz. Young pro photographers just getting into the game will be Ricoh's saving grace; they aren't 10-20 years vested in any particular system.

Rant Disclaimer:

I am fortunate enough to work with some of the best high-profile "working" still photographers in the country. They actually are amenable to change, albeit to mirrorless at the moment due not needing a blimp whilst still needing high IQ. However, there is a generation coming into the workforce that is open to "whatever works" with a respectful nod to traditionalism if it works (and gets them a paycheck; as we all were at that stage of our careers). These are the upcoming "movers and shakers" who will define the next 20 years of working, high-profile, commercial photography

It's a window of opportunity for Ricoh. It's small. It won't stay open for long.

Did I mention I'm excited for delivery of my new lens?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 06-16-2015 at 02:18 AM.
06-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Could I trouble you to post a picture of what you're describing?
MD Optofonik,

I have attached a picture of the handle on the barrel of my Sigma 150-500 attached to my camera (K-5 IIs). The picture was taken with my tablet, so the quality is not that good, but recognizable. Remember that your AF on/off switch is on the barrel too, above the OS switch. If you look at the picture, you can barely make out the AF/M choices and that mine is on the white bar meaning AF, and then below that is the OS Off/1/2 switch. You can see where I have the white selection for "1" set on the OS. The screw mechanism that secures the rotating barrel handle is in the picture with the word "LOCK" on it, and it has the arrow pointing in the direction that you would use to tighten it. On the lens barrel you can see where the handle rotation piece is. It can be relocated/removed depending how far you unscrew the screw mechanism. Also notice how my camera is sitting basically level and the handle grip is located to its left, and the handle grip has its connector hole for attachment to tripods. So essentially you can adjust the handle to be located wherever you want according to how you want to shoot. You can also see on the barrel of the lens the LOCK/UNLOCK switch (two white bars), it is more toward the front of the lens than the other switch sets. It can only be effectively locked at the 150 position.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-16-2015 at 07:36 PM.
06-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MD Optofonik,

I have attached a picture of the handle on the barrel of my Sigma 150-500 attached to my camera (K-5 IIs). The picture was taken with my tablet, so the quality is not that good, but recognizable. Remember that your AF on/off switch is on the barrel too, above the OS switch. If you look at the picture, you can barely make out the AF/M choices and that mine is on the white bar meaning AF, and then below that is the OS Off/1/2 switch. You can see where I have the white selection for "1" set on the OS. The screw mechanism that secures the rotating barrel handle is in the picture with the word "LOCK" on it, and it has the arrow pointing in the direction that you would use to tighten it. On the lens barrel you can see where the handle rotation piece is. It can be relocated/removed depending how far you unscrew the screw mechanism. Also notice how my camera is sitting basically level and the handle grip is located to its left, and the handle grip has its connector hole for attachment to tripods. So essentially you can adjust the handle to be located wherever you want according to how you want to shoot. You can also see on the barrel of the lens the LOCK/UNLOCK switch (two white bars), it is more toward the front of the lens than the other switch sets. It can only be effectively locked at the 150 position.

Thanks so much. Lens arrives this Thursday then I'm off too Trestles that evening to try and catch the Friday morning swell. I'll break out the SpyderLensCal at the hotel after I check in. I'm really looking forward to finding out for myself if it's sharper than the 55-300, or not.
06-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks so much. Lens arrives this Thursday then I'm off too Trestles that evening to try and catch the Friday morning swell. I'll break out the SpyderLensCal at the hotel after I check in. I'm really looking forward to finding out for myself if it's sharper than the 55-300, or not.
Most likely you will have the sunlight behind you during the morning, which is a good thing. You probably know what F-Stop, exposure, and ISO you prefer, since you mentioned you have used your 55-300 for shooting surfing before and have some experience. As you probably already know a good F Stop is going to give you depth, though you can retreat to approximately F7 and still retain a quality shot.

I doubt if you will have any problem, and even if some of your use consists of some trial and error experience with the new lens, that is just part of using/learning equipment.

I hope you enjoy your new lens, and I sort of have a feeling that after you use it for awhile, you will see what the advantage to having the 500 mm reach is over a 55-300 for super telephoto. I have had my 150-500 for over 2 years and do not regret it. I had a 55-300, and found the AF to be making more noise than was appropriate for such things as wildlife/birding, where the 150-500 has a HSM, which means Hyper Sonic Motor, and operates in a near silent manner just as advertised. I traded in my 55-300 through the Amazon trade-in program. I am most likely going to purchase the Sigma 18-300 for Pentax mount when it becomes available, it has the HSM feature also.

Have a good time.