Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question About Auto/Manual Switch on Vivitar M42 Lens

I have a Vivitar 28/2.8 Auto lens, and am not familiar with the auto/manual switch it has. It is not the slide type of a/m switch. It has a ring with an "m" with an arrow pointing at it. How do I switch back and forth on this lens? I have fiddled with it a bit, but I do not want to force any of the controls.

Thanks,
Glen

06-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to slide it back and forth (it may have to be mounted on the camera first). To use it, you should set it to M and use the aperture ring to for aperture adjustments. No need to stop down with these lenses.....just shoot in Av mode and all you have to do is focus and shoot. That's worked for me with every M42 lens I've used. They're actually easier to use than M lenses. You will probably need to up your EV comp to +2 since these lenses seem to consistently underexpose.
06-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem is that I do not see a slide switch (as I have on my other M42 lenses). I see some type of nub on the ring. The nub has a small metal (chrome) lever that can be pushed in. There is also a grooved lever that looks like a wheel--that is, the top portion of the wheel comes through the barrel of the lens. This wheel-type thing is next to the arrow and "M," and is behind the ring.

Thanks,
Glen