Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

Vernon Edonar M42 35mm 2.8

As a common visitor of the Pentax Forums, I've come to see the power in combining the knowledge of so many folks here, old and new.

Now it's my turn to rely on you guys.

I recently stumbled upon a briefcase of old camera equipment containing an old Nikkormat and a few lenses. As I've never really worked with M42 lenses all that much, one caught my attention, first because of it's small size, then because of the information on it. It's labeled "Vernon Edonar Lens 35mm F:2.8 Wide Angle." I'd never heard of Vernon lenses, and upon searching for them online, I could only find one brief mention of the specific lens I found here (try searching Vernon on the list).

I don't have a working M42 camera to test it with or an adapter to pop it on one of my K mounts... Can anyone offer any information on the lens or even the brand so that I can get an idea of what I've found?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the other times I've come crawling across the info I've needed on here.

06-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
possibly made by tamron? Vernon Edonar (Taisei/Tamron) 28/2.8 Odd and rare !

the pic that i saw of your lens looks like the 28mm lens above.
06-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Where did you spot a pic of mine? The lens I found is all black and lacks the lever/arm on the side of the ones pictured here, but it's interesting to see others out there. Thanks for the link!
06-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
osv
Veteran Member

Early Tamron 35/2.8 - one lens, three flavors

your lens has a black body?? got a pic of it?

06-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
The following album has pictures of it. It has 12 some aperture blades and two rings, one de-clicked. The negative is apparently a factory test negative, as these were individually tested. Any ideas on info/value/anything?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/draevo/X03585
06-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a 105mm F2.8

The lenses were a store brand. I can't find any info on who made them. The 2 aperture ring means it is a preset lens. The clocked ring is use to set the intended shooting aperture. The other ring is to open the lens for focusing, then stop down to shoot. The clicked ring should be fairly stiff, the non clicked ring should be loose.

My 105 has scalloped aperture blades that collapse into a flower petal shape in middle apertures. This can be used or produce really spect ulnar starburst effects around bright lights
06-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by draevin1 Quote
The following album has pictures of it. It has 12 some aperture blades and two rings, one de-clicked. The negative is apparently a factory test negative, as these were individually tested. Any ideas on info/value/anything?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/draevo/X03585
'

whoa, is that rangefinder glass?? have you tried mounting it on your pentax? it looks like it would hit the mirror.

i wonder if it's m39 or m42 threading? it's cool beans, regardless! i wanna put it on my a7r

some rangefinder lenses did use m42, if i remember right.

try posting it on that manual focus forum that i linked to earlier, they'll be all over it.

please let us know what you find out.

06-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
'

whoa, is that rangefinder glass?? have you tried mounting it on your pentax? it looks like it would hit the mirror.

i wonder if it's m39 or m42 threading? it's cool beans, regardless! i wanna put it on my a7r

some rangefinder lenses did use m42, if i remember right.

try posting it on that manual focus forum that i linked to earlier, they'll be all over it.

please let us know what you find out.
I don't have any m42 adapters for any of my k cameras, but it definitely doesn't fit on my H2 because of the extended back/mirror collision. If that means it's rangefinder glass, then sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'll be sure to post a thread on the MF forums as well. Thanks!

To Mr. Goudge, I've never seen any lenses with a test negative, it strikes me a little odd that a store brand would be the one to individually test theirs... Perhaps I'm mistaken.
06-20-2015, 04:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by draevin1 Quote
To Mr. Goudge, I've never seen any lenses with a test negative, it strikes me a little odd that a store brand would be the one to individually test theirs... Perhaps I'm mistaken.
I can't say I have ever seen a test negative, but then I got my lens used,mono box no caps.

I do like the presets to shoot with, over other m42 lenses

Since 35mm was a common focal length and relatively easy to make I suspect you will get good results with the lens. But get a hood. Older lenses don't have the coatings and flare resistance of newer ones