Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
Rats, your right. On checking the photos closer it isn't in as good condition as I had thought. Still, the glass is described as unmarked and operational condition sound. Proof will be when I get it so fingers crossed it takes great photos. Teach me a lesson to go over the photos minutely when buying these things.
Yeah, don't tell me about it - I remember when I started buying manual lenses back in 2007, I got several primes and was happily snapping away. Now fast forward 4 years and only then I have found out what fungus , haze and other nasty things are :P When I decided to re-do my manual lens collection and come to sell few of my early primes, I learnt they were worth pennies because most had some sort of fault ! The worse offender being 50mm Macro-Takumar, which didn't focus to infinity !! But I always though it was alright, as it supposed to be 'Macro' lens, right ? - wrong, I had to have it repaired at a hefty fee to use it to its full potential .Anyway lesson learned and from then on I always do the homework before clicking buy it now - sellers with few feedback , bad photos , not show in close up detail what's inside the lens - are all no-go factors

In your lens what I am worried about is optical performance, not the cosmetic condition. Since lens was tampered with, it likely had a fungus or other nasty faults and was cleaned by an amateur (judging by all the butchering that went on) - so What I expect is loss of performance, perhaps decentering or other similar hard-to-see-on-the-ebay-photos faults ... and even if this isn't the case, the seller clearly is a dodgy one, describing such lens as excellent etc..

I will go through my photos over the weekend and upload few so you could see how this lens supposed to perform - with my copy being absolutely flawless I can't fault its performance in any way.

06-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing a few photos and having a yardstick to judge mine against. Still keeping fingers and toes crossed it's all ok.

Hal55
06-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Surprisingly enough, I found only handful of shots which were PPed , others waiting for my retirement :P Truth is , I really don't shot with this lens that much, and more often use it for video with K-01. It is probably my most used lens in video I reckon.. ok, here are some shots from one outing . Click for bigger , 1200px files. Reviewing them I think I recall it being very sharp centrally , but also on sides from wide open - only field curvature makes it looks like it is not sharp on edges. It isn't easy lens to master, but I really like the results I get from it and for video is simple indispensable!

F5.6 or F8

F5.6

F8 ?

F3.5 ( wide open)

F8 ?

F3.5 wide open

F8

F3.5 or F4 ?
06-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, great photos and I love the deep yet accurate colours this lens does. Sharpness looks very good also. Hopefully I'll be able to post something good from mine in a bit over a week.

Hal55

06-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks, great photos and I love the deep yet accurate colours this lens does. Sharpness looks very good also. Hopefully I'll be able to post something good from mine in a bit over a week.
Yeah, one of the things that struck me was how truthful the colours were. The only thing I did to these photos was basically shifting the black point to even out the exposure , yep , saturation and vibrancy are ZERO in my Lightroom presets for this lens. Also what I love is that CA's are non-existent , that is why I like to for video - the field of view is about 55mm , and I can stop the lens down in one smooth fluid motion. For video I give this lens 10/10 - for stills 8/10 as a general purpose wide angle , and 9/10 for specialized artistic visions.

Anyways, looking forward to your photos with it !
07-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lens has arrived and I'm actually very happy with it. Surprisingly sharp, great colour and gives very nice results with no or minimal processing. Have only attached one file this time, and the RAW version of this shot is the equal best photo I've ever taken of this bridge. Other shots are equally promising, I'm sure I'm going to like using it.Will try ad post more photos later.
Attached Images

07-06-2015, 01:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The lens has arrived and I'm actually very happy with it. Surprisingly sharp, great colour and gives very nice results with no or minimal processing. Have only attached one file this time, and the RAW version of this shot is the equal best photo I've ever taken of this bridge. Other shots are equally promising, I'm sure I'm going to like using it.Will try ad post more photos later.
Congratulation on successful purchase! A good copy of this lens can indeed surprise with sharpness and colour and rendering! But I especially love it for video use - no other lens gives me the same pleasure and result like this one.
Will try ad post more photos later.
Looking forward to them !

07-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Three more from a nice outing yesterday. I'll buy a proper adapter with focus assist for this lens, which I;m really enjoying. Re the body condition, the glass is very good, there was in fact no damage to the front filter BUT the rear metalwork around the glass looks definitely dodgy. So far though I'm really happy with the results - it's easily beating the Pentax 28-36 SMC I've used recently and which I rated very highly. Hopefully more Pentacon/Myer lenses will join my "go to" bag.

Hal

---------- Post added 07-12-15 at 12:46 PM ----------

Pity the top one lost so much detail in conversion from Raw - the original is razor sharp.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 450D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 450D  Photo 
07-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Three more from a nice outing yesterday. I'll buy a proper adapter with focus assist for this lens, which I;m really enjoying. Re the body condition, the glass is very good, there was in fact no damage to the front filter BUT the rear metalwork around the glass looks definitely dodgy. So far though I'm really happy with the results - it's easily beating the Pentax 28-36 SMC I've used recently and which I rated very highly. Hopefully more Pentacon/Myer lenses will join my "go to" bag. Hal ---------- Post added 07-12-15 at 12:46 PM ---------- Pity the top one lost so much detail in conversion from Raw - the original is razor sharp.
Excellent shots - glad your copy is optically good. The uploading mechanism on this forum is really pathetic with the quality of images reduced to absolute minimum so I rarely use it. I suggest you look into having an flickr account perhaps - that will allow you linking and embedding photos without any issue and quality loss.