Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentacon 29mm F2.8

Looking at acquiring this lens as a landscape lens and possibly also for macro photography having seen a stunning photo on this site of a human eye taken with it. Will be used on a crop body, any comments on how good it is much appreciated. I don't have any non Japanese glass at the moment so it would be an interesting buy if I go ahead with it.

Thanks,

Hal55

06-15-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had one and sold it becuse it was terrible for landscape - very unsharp at the edges on APS-C. Otherwise quite nice - good feeling and nice swirly bokeh.
06-15-2015, 02:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I had one and sold it becuse it was terrible for landscape - very unsharp at the edges on APS-C. Otherwise quite nice - good feeling and nice swirly bokeh.
Darn, I was really hoping this would be ok. Getting a vintage WA 28mm or wider is proving harder than I thought. No end of 50mm primes, but a reasonably priced wide angle is not easy to find.. Thanks for the input.

Hal55
06-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M 28/2.8 is quite good at infinity and cheap, but for best results I use it at f11. Some f 3.5 lenses have brillant reputation. You can look at Sigma Superwide II (24/2.8) also.

06-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
Darn, I was really hoping this would be ok. Getting a vintage WA 28mm or wider is proving harder than I thought. No end of 50mm primes, but a reasonably priced wide angle is not easy to find.. Thanks for the input. Hal55
Had it in Carl zeiss badged version, it was nice to look at and matched my collection of 35 50 and 135 primes from zeiss, but it was nowhere near the expected zeiss quality. Quite terrible in fact so I returned it.
06-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have some spare Pentax to Canon adapters so if anyone wants to suggest a vintage lens in Pentax mount I'd be grateful. The 28mm SMC 2.8s look a good buy.
06-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have some spare Pentax to Canon adapters so if anyone wants to suggest a vintage lens in Pentax mount I'd be grateful. The 28mm SMC 2.8s look a good buy.
The best AF lens I currently have is Pentax SMC-F 28mm , closely followed by Kiron / Vivitar 28 F2.0 - which is faster and when stopped down really shines. The SMC 28mm f2.8 manual version is reportedly also great and much cheaper.

06-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a copy of a Pentacon 30mm/F3.5 preset which is very similar to the 29mm and it is a fantastic lens. The colors and bokeh are very nice, at least on my copy, and the lens even has, dare I say it a 3D quality to it. I had another copy that was not a preset version and it didn't seem to have the same pop.
06-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I have a copy of a Pentacon 30mm/F3.5 preset which is very similar to the 29mm and it is a fantastic lens. The colors and bokeh are very nice, at least on my copy, and the lens even has, dare I say it a 3D quality to it. I had another copy that was not a preset version and it didn't seem to have the same pop.
You re mistaking these two lenses. Pentacon / Zeiss 29mm f2.8 is not even near the quality of Pentacon / Meyer 30mm f3.5 !! I had 29mm and still own my Pentacon 30mm f3.5 - and the latter is just outstanding all around lens with quality that really gives modern lenses a run for their money. They are different designs and meyer / pentacon. Heck! They are leagues apart !

30mm is reall great with pop, and colour and so on - my copy is sharp from wide open and even more so when stopped a bit down.
06-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, my mistake, I stand corrected. (That's what I get for reading quickly and typing this from work!)
You are of course right, the Zeiss and Meyer versions are totally different and the Meyer is able to hold it's own with a lot of modern glass (3D!). It's been awhile since I used my 30mm but it was always a pleasure (got rid of the 29mm ages ago) I may just have to break it out and run it a little bit on the K3 or even the LX this weekend.
06-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sounds as though I would be way better forgetting about the 29mm Pentacon and getting the 30 instead. I've had a look at Ebay and they are available at sane prices. Is there anything I need to look out for to make sure I get the Meyer version? As I just discovered with a 135mm F2.5 Supertak, there are three versions and you really need to know which your getting..

---------- Post added 06-16-15 at 10:55 AM ----------

"Ex. Meyer Lydith Preset aperture model" Is this the one referenced above. Sorry about the caps and bolding, it's been picked up from the copy and paste and I can't get it back to normal.
06-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sounds as though I would be way better forgetting about the 29mm Pentacon and getting the 30 instead. I've had a look at Ebay and they are available at sane prices. Is there anything I need to look out for to make sure I get the Meyer version? As I just discovered with a 135mm F2.5 Supertak, there are three versions and you really need to know which your getting..
Every Pentacon 30mm f3.5 was directly made in the same Meyer factory that original Meyers were. Pentacon acquired Meyer Optik and continued to produce this lens for some time. The only thing important from what I know and my own experience is that they are prone to decentering if serviced by an amateur. When I originally got into Meyer lenses I bought 30mm badged Meyer but it was terribly soft on one side - blurry and nothing seemed to help. I had it returned on being faulty basis and bought pristine Pentacon 30mm from a reputable seller on ebay.uk - it came with original caps and in mint condition , very sharp in the center from wide open, and perfectly sharp across the plane when stopped down past 5.6
So watch out for this. Also oil on the blades can be a factor that lowers the price. My Meyer had it, but aperture worked smoothly. My pentacon is pristine with no trace of oil. So all in all - get the one you can find as long as it is pristine and wasn't tampered with .. and best from a reputable seller , even if it costs more,, it is worth it !
06-16-2015, 01:59 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, item purchased, I'm looking forward to using it. It did come from a UK dealer with a 100% satisfaction rate and looks to be in near new condition.
06-16-2015, 03:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks, item purchased, I'm looking forward to using it. It did come from a UK dealer with a 100% satisfaction rate and looks to be in near new condition.
If this is the one I think it is (which sold for £31.95 today) it doesn't actually look that good. It looks like it was disassembled ( marks on the groves for spanner ), the glass is not really shown and the body scratches was badly painted over with cheap marker (which looks reddish on the photos ). There seems to be damage to the front rim (where filter thread is ) which was also painted over.
The back of the lens isn't shown clearly , only a glimpse of it at an angle and that clearly shows some tampering work done with the retaining ring for the rear optical group. There is also a lot of painting over with this reddish cheap black office marker. I bet it all will rub off with some alcohol based cleaner ( or with time .
I really hope am wrong, but it definitely is not mint.. more like fair to me

EDIT: Ah and the seller has only mere 20 feedbacks for sales received - that is not something to brag about really :S
06-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Rats, your right. On checking the photos closer it isn't in as good condition as I had thought. Still, the glass is described as unmarked and operational condition sound. Proof will be when I get it so fingers crossed it takes great photos. Teach me a lesson to go over the photos minutely when buying these things.