Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which zoom for the holster bag?
Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF 2640.00%
Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 AF Di II LD IF 1929.23%
Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 AF XR Di II 34.62%
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD 23.08%
None of the above. 1320.00%
None of the above, buy mine from the marketplace! 23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
agree there, but under "utili" zoom I understand lens you can take practicaly everywhere and you'll be able to frame a shot. In other words, all in one lens. No offence towards DA55-300 but try to go to some old forgotten town, or even London streets for that matter and you'll see the difficulties with framing of buildings I have in mind. But if you are not into that kind of photography. Fair enough...
Its always been my experience that that in those wide situations that a longer lens usually ends up in frustration. I don't think the 18 is really wide enough in those situations. I guess that's the trouble with "one" lens. I think trying to do it in 2 is more reasonable.

06-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I totally get where you're coming from Lowell, and in general agree with you.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at things, for the next year or two when I go out to the zoo, or park, or whatever I have a little tiny boy with me who doesn't walk, poops in his pants and brings a metric ton of accessories along with him.
I have a very nice backpack and I could carry 3 or 4 lenses, 2 bodies, filters, flash and a 15" widescreen laptop plus a tripod and monopod strapped on to boot. I could, I just don' wanna.
For these very informal outings I just want one (1) lens and my K10D so I don't have the bulk and I don't have to think past that single setup. Basically, I'm looking for the simplicity of a P&S here but I just can't stand using a P&S - they don't fit my hands.
So a super/wide zoom, while it probably isn't sharp enough for the pages of NatGeo or terribly fast, I think should work well. I'm compromising a tad bit of IQ for a tidbit of sanity is all.

Exactly what you said! The main lure of the superzoom is convenience, both your convenience and the convenience of your family. When I'm traveling with the family on a vacation, my family doesn't want to wait on me to change lenses any more than I want to wait on my wife to try on shoes. I've found that the 18-250 (I have Tamron, but the Pentax is the same) is the best at convenience for the least "cost" (in terms of reduced image quality). The 18-250 gets much better reviews than the 18-200 versions. I also had the Tamron 28-300 and really liked it as well. However (and to my surprise), I found the difference between 18mm and 28mm to be much more useful to me than the difference between 250mm and 300mm. Also, the close focusing ability (the "macro" designation on the Tamron) can be useful as well.

When I'm traveling by myself to take pictures, then it's a challenge to see just how many lenses I can lug around and use per hour. However, when I'm with my family of non-photographers, I go with the superzoom and still get 95%+ of the shots I'd ever want.
06-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #33
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its always been my experience that that in those wide situations that a longer lens usually ends up in frustration. I don't think the 18 is really wide enough in those situations. I guess that's the trouble with "one" lens. I think trying to do it in 2 is more reasonable.
That's exactly why I ended up with Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 28-200 combo.
Good thinking, very good in deed...
BTW: 18 is still better then 28 or 55
02-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Is it good enough for micro and mid stock photography (assuming that the photographer is)? Or are the compromises too much? I like the idea of not having to change lenses constantly in iffy weather, but I don't want to invest in glass that wouldn't be good enough, either.

02-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #35
Veteran Member

As I am sure you already know, the Pentax and Tamron 18-250 are the very same lens, why list them separately? Just get the cheapest one of those two. (although the Tamron has a better warranty)

Jason
02-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #36
Pentaxian

After reading all the conflicting and mutually exclusive features desired for this sort of set up - DSLR+superzoom...

...wouldn't you really rather have a good quality P&S?

A K20D with a 1 pound lens hanging off the front of it is hardly a grab and go travel kit.

Perhaps a Lumix DMC-LX3 or something similiar?
02-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
After reading all the conflicting and mutually exclusive features desired for this sort of set up - DSLR+superzoom...

...wouldn't you really rather have a good quality P&S?

A K20D with a 1 pound lens hanging off the front of it is hardly a grab and go travel kit.

Perhaps a Lumix DMC-LX3 or something similiar?
Doesn't the LX3 have a 24-60 equivalent lens? Which is 16-40 in APS-C terms, a far cry from 18-250. The "superzoom" cameras are almost as big as a DSLR, and usually makes even more compromises than the superzoom lenses, so why not just bring a camera you already have and know and buy a new lens for more or less the same cost?
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
So a super/wide zoom, while it probably isn't sharp enough for the pages of NatGeo or terribly fast, I think should work well. I'm compromising a tad bit of IQ for a tidbit of sanity is all.
very well said

Dave