Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-A 24-50 stiff zoom ring?

I've just picked up my first older zoom, and the zoom ring is significantly harder to turn than the modern zooms (pretty much just kit lenses) that I've owned before.

It does turn smoothly -- that is, no jerking across the zoom range -- but I hear slight noise as I turn it, more obviously if I turn it faster.

Is this normal? If not, what kind of problem could it indicate?

06-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Older zoom rings can be stiff after not being used for years. Try moving the zoom back and forth several times and see if it loosens up.

It should still be stiffer than a modern zoom lens, but it shouldn't feel cumbersome.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 24-50 is also just a bit stiff. Not objectionable but stiffer than the kit lens. I just assumed it was part of the design. No way to tell without testing yours if the stiffness is the same.

If it is a problem it could be grit or dust in the mechanism or just stiff grease. But if it is smooth through the full cycle, allowing for the out and back of the front element as you zoom, I think you are OK.
06-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Good A-series lenses are stiff. It really is that simple: 35-105/3.5 - really stiff - and good. I don't have the 24-50, but I suspect that the stiffness is just a matter of tight tolerances. If only the 16-45 had been designed so stiff - it would be considered one of the all-time great zooms. I'm not the first to say, re-release that lens with a DC motor, WR, HD coatings, and a remotely tight build - and charge what the market is willing to pay. Quite a bit if they get it right (the 16-85 has Pentax headed in the right direction already).

06-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

The older lenses weigh a lot more than "modern" ones so the movement has to be firm enough to prevent creeping when the lens is pointed away from horizontal.
06-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Makes sense. Thanks everyone!