Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Glad you figured it out.
There are loads of old crappy lenses. Just use one for parts. There won't be a difference.

That said, after all this surgery, you may not want to consider the lens fully weather safe anymore. Just a thought.

06-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The key to maintaining weather sealing on a WR lens when removing the mount is to lightly re-lube the gasket with silicone grease before reinstalling the mount. Such grease is available at most major hardware stores.
Good advice, but there was a ball point pen spring in there. Who knows what else the prior owner messed with?
06-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Good advice, but there was a ball point pen spring in there. Who knows what else the prior owner messed with?
Exactly.. I have the same concern. I actually plan to take apart the lens again tonight.. this time down to the bottom of the zoom ring as I suspect that is why the previous owner monkeyed with the lens in the first place -- it feels really easy to turn.. too easy imo. So, I suspect, one of the rubber weather gaskets is likely missing.. will find out after I take it apart.

Optically, though, this lens is a treat... like a ton of prime lenses almost.

I've unbent one of the other springs in the photo.. but will still need the separate lens since that silver spring obviously isnt like others hahahaha
06-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok.. took it apart again.. I can confirm it indeed is missing some of the rubber weather sealing gaskets around the zoom ring (as shown in these images over here https://www.facebook.com/agogoduck/media_set?set=a.10150089076734265.268652....1). booo. So that is probably why it is easy to turn.

At the top of the zoom ring, there are several of these really really thin metal spacers -- are these normally there??

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
06-19-2015, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #20

Mee, Try contacting Lynn I bought springs from her a couple of years ago. They would only sell certain parts to a user.
She also emailed me a schematic of the lens so I could confirm what parts I needed.
I hope they still provide this service. Good luck, Joe

Lynn Badillo

National Parts Administrator

Wildernest Logistics Solutions, Inc.

PENTAX Division

3500 N. Windsor Dr. Suite-400

Aurora, CO 80011

Ph. (720)988-2653

Fax (303)799-9213

E-Mail: lynn.badillo@wildernestlogistics.com
06-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
Mee, Try contacting Lynn I bought springs from her a couple of years ago. They would only sell certain parts to a user.
She also emailed me a schematic of the lens so I could confirm what parts I needed.
I hope they still provide this service. Good luck, Joe

Lynn Badillo

National Parts Administrator

Wildernest Logistics Solutions, Inc.

PENTAX Division

3500 N. Windsor Dr. Suite-400

Aurora, CO 80011

Ph. (720)988-2653

Fax (303)799-9213

E-Mail: lynn.badillo@wildernestlogistics.com

I appreciate it but that info appears to be outdated.

QuoteQuote:
Your message to lynn.badillo@wildernestlogistics.com couldn't be delivered.
lynn.badillo wasn't found at wildernestlogistics.com

06-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #22

You would have just gotten a response back that Ricoh no longer sells parts directly to the end user.

06-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suspected as much but figured I'd give it a try anyways.. been years since they had an open parts department. Too bad too.. this would be an easy, low cost self repair if I had the parts!
06-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
btw, I don't think just any Pentax lens will work.. I found this
Which is from a Tak 35-80mm and it appears to be the same type of spring as the really mangled, silver one that was jammed in my lens.

I did find a teardown of a DAL 18-55mm lens and that has the same diameter, golden colored springs. So I will probably look for a junked one of those. No idea where I'm finding the rubber gasket seal things for around the zoom ring.
12-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Soo... I bought a 50-135mm f/2.8 lens on ebay with it noted in the description as not communicating with the camera body.

From one of the provided images of the contacts, I could see two of them seemed smaller than others. So I figured no biggy.. either I need to re-seat the current pins or I need to just find two identicals.

So the lens arrived today. I first tried attaching it to my K-5II and it seemed a little gritty and requiring a bit more force than normal to attach to it. And, sure enough, the body was not seeing the lens. Hmmmm.

I removed the lens from my camera body and inspected the mount. One of the screws around the inner ring was sideways!! I reseated it properly and no more grit and it attaches and detaches from the body smoothly. Great. (But that screw has no reason to be removed so why was it ??)

However, after taking the back plate off, I now see why some of the pins do not look the same as the others. Talk about amateur hour. (and this is coming from a very amateur repairer )

As you see.. I have a fat gold spring, a bent normal-sized spring, and a really crumpled, fat silver spring. I partly want to know what the person who did this to my lens was thinking. But, on second thought, decided I did not!!

Anywho.. I also have a 16-50 f/2.8 so I temporarily borrowed the pins/springs from it for those that were damaged on the 50-135. Put it back together and voila. It works like a treat.. even the SDM is moving nicely. So now I'm in the market for a correct pin/spring set (mostly the springs) for a DA* 50-135mm lens hehe. Too bad Ricoh doesn't sell to individuals.. this would be a very, very cheap repair.

This also goes to show if you really have no clue what you're doing, and no patience to find out, then just ship the lens to someone who does.

Exhibit A:
Lot 10 Copper Compression Springs 1 4" OD | eBay

Evilbay sells many sizes of springs as well
12-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K Bill Quote
Those springs are huge! I think he might need something more like this instead:

Micro Compression Spring Ø 2 5 mm Length 5 mm Wire 0 35 mm 6 Spiral 5 | eBay
12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Right!?
I translated the title as
"Ricoh-Pentax pays for a lens for me"
My first thought was that a story on a "Pentax contact springs for lens" should have been posted in the Pentax News and Rumors forum.

Yeah -- Personally, I've sprung for a few lenses in my day, too...

So, now how do I get my Pentax contact to spring for a lens for me ?

Actually, how do I even get a Pentax contact ?

12-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if anyone just happens to know the dimensions of said mini compression springs, these guys most likely can supply it:

Compression Springs On The D.R. Templeman Co.

Michael
12-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

I will tell you when I tear mine down next week.

---------- Post added 12-14-15 at 08:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

I was merely showing that springs could be had on eBay, not that those were the actual equivalent. Thanks
12-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
There is more than one person on this forum who has a trashed lens. Filled with pond water or smashed into a wall...Perhaps post a "Wanted" ad for a scrap lens. Probably could get them from a camera-side mount as well if someone has a broken camera?

Also, look here: How to Make Small Springs - YouTube
That is pretty cool.