Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help identifying lens 58mm ? Takumar ?

I think maybe I hit the buy it now button a bit too soon out of sheer excitement a few minutes ago on Goodwill auction.
It was advertised as a Takuma 58mm lens on a spotmatic. I saw the preset ring and a f2.0 and the excitement went immediately to my head.....lol.
Now Im looking and it doesn't look like a Takumar per pics on here of the 58mm 2.0 at all in the review section....
Now to figure out what exactly it is ??? Unfortunately its mine now at any rate....help....lol. Now Im sick to my stomach.....ughhhh.
shopgoodwill.com - #22390210 - Asahi Pentax Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Camera Takuma - 6/22/2015 6:04:17 PM
Can anyone identify this from the not so hot Goodwill pics ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 03:05 PM.
06-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It is a Helios. Somebody can probably tell you which one exactly.
06-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not so bad
Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 M42 Russian Lens Zenit
not worth 100 though

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 10:09 PM ----------

Can you not cancel the sale because of error in listing?
06-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Not so bad
Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 M42 Russian Lens Zenit
not worth 100 though

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 10:09 PM ----------

Can you not cancel the sale because of error in listing?
Im going to sure try....it was after all listed as a Takuma 58mm......lol. And here I thought it was the super Rare Takumar 58mm 2.0.....I learned my lesson on this one for sure....thanks Guys.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 03:05 PM.
06-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

The lens is a Hellios from a very early Zenit E (the camera was sold in Europe under its more Western name of Zenith, by Technical Optical Equipment T.O.E) its technical description is a "Stop Down" lens two rings control the aperture mechanism one ring has the F Stops marked and has click stops, the iris is not connected to this ring, the second ring controls the iris and is smooth with no click stops, you set the first ring to the F stop required and after focusing with an open aperture at full you moved the second ring to the point where you set the first ring and the iris would stop at that point so you would know you had the correct aperture, the camera you have has a pusher at the bottom of the lens throat to activate a shutdown pin on a later type of lens "Open Aperture Metering Auto Iris" the aperture is set from the aperture ring and the camera stops down to this setting via the rear actuation pin, try for a latter Hellios lens quality was good, it was based on the Zeiss 58mm Contax lens, it has the aperture ring at the rear, and build quality was better than either the Pentacon 50mm F1.8 or Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f2.8

Last edited by Snappertim; 06-23-2015 at 02:15 AM.
06-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Zenit is a really good looking camera, and it can be great if you get one in good working order (and learn how to use it! It has some quirks, but you can find manuals online I think)
That lens is a Helios 44 (there are many variations of 44, with incremental upgrades and changes on them. This designation follows the "44", for example "44-2". Just don't confuse it with Helios 40 series). This one is not in K-mount, so you would need an adapter to use it on your Pentax camera. The Helios 44 is actually a copy of a Zeiss lens, so it has a good optical design and is super sharp in the centre at f8, but not very sharp at the edges at f2. The manufacturing standards were not as high as for the genuine Zeiss lenses, and since these are really old lenses, it can happen that you get a damaged, bad copy.
It sometimes produces special swirly bokeh, which a lot of people love, so the Helios 44 has received somewhat of a cult status if you google it. Still, it can be found for a fairly low price. Just search some used camera gear stores or ebay, it should give you a better idea. $100 for a mint lens and camera is not a super high price, but its not amazing, either. And if you won't be using the camera, it doesn't make much sense. You can get just the lens for much lower cost, especially a lens that isn't in perfect condition. Just search for Helios 44-2

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/helios-44-58mm-f2.html

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-23-2015 at 03:51 AM.
06-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I contacted Goodwill and explained the misrepresentation of a Helios as a Takumar. Ended up working out good and my bid was retracted. Thanks Guys....a Bunch.