Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could find an older GAF/Chinon M42 50 F1.9 with the leatherette that isn't loaded with fungus. Every darned one I've managed to snag so far has had it and been damaged by it. It's really been frustrating me. I do have the newer K version and I like it a lot but it's in bad shape and I really want the M42 version. I don't want to pay a freakin fortune for it just because it's erroneously marked Tomioka and most of the ones I see likely aren't. The K version is okay but I just really prefer the M42 one and it's maddening grabbing them and not being able to fix them. All three I've gotten so far have had fungus on the back element, inside. It's etched the glass so badly I couldn't really use them even after I tried cleaning them.

The 50 I was talking about above? This is my 4th copy I've bought. It did have fungus inside. I didn't catch it at first because it was so subtle. It's just a little crackled looking ring right around the edge. I'm pretty sure it is fungus though unfortunately. I'm considering sending to Eric to see if he can't clean it for me. I cannot get that one open myself. I'm having problems with my little jeweler's screwdrivers and the Chinon screws. They just are not fitting with this lens like they usually do. I tried to open it but so far no luck. For now it's in a little air tight box with some desiccant well away from my other lenses but I may just send it to Eric and see if he can do something with it. I'm tired of trying to hunt a nice one down and this one looks like it might be fixable if you can get it open. I've been sitting here with that one looking at it again and again, trying to convince myself that it's just wear to the lens coating, laugh, but I don't think so. I wish though, that I could live with. It's been kind of pissing me off a bit. SO close, but no cigar as they say...

Last edited by magkelly; 07-16-2015 at 07:39 PM.
07-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I was wondering if it might not be lens coating damage or something like that. It just doesn't quite look like the fungus I've seen. It's almost like little cracks or scratches, and it's very evenly spaced all around the inside rim of the lens which fungus usually isn't. It doesn't seem to affect pictures taken with the lens at all. No fogginess. I'd like a few opinions I think. I honestly can't decide whether or not to toss it or not. I'm reluctant, but I don't want to infect anything else either. Been there, done that, and never again. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. I'm off to bed soon. I have to be up early...
07-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Okay here goes. I am sorry these are not better. I am very lousy at taking through the lens pics. I just cannot get a shot like what I am actually seeing. My first thought was lens fungus, but I've never seen it in such a perfect circle. These shots don't really show that, that it goes all around, in a very fine twiggy line, but that's what it looks like. It almost reminds me of a cracked marble almost. Here the streaks look more white, but they're not really in person. They're almost clear. Most fungus I've seen that looks like trees it's white, cloudy, hazy, and not even at all. It comes in patches that look a lot like snowflakes. These shots it's spikes. The pic I took makes the spikes look longer than it is when you look at it. It's definitely all around the lens in a perfect circle. My lighting didn't catch that well, but it is. Fungus or lens coating damage? Opinions? Whatever it is it's inside the rear element. I cannot clean it off the outside.
Attached Images

07-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Update: Store got back to me, says it's a Chinar 135mm. That's interesting because all the Chinar K mount 135's I could find have very similar print but the colored print is green lettering. The colored print on this one is definitely red. Not orange, red. In any case it was not a bad buy because the reviews on the Chinar 135 K mount I can find aren't too bad...

Ah, finally here's the same beastie! From what I can tell the Chinar 135mm came at various times with all white paint, green paint and red paint. This is the version I just got...

T323 Chinar 135mm F 2 8 Pentax K Mount Manual Focus Lens REDUCED | eBay
That looks very similar (not exact, but similar enough to note) to my Sears 135mm that I've always thought was made by Tokina. A lot of the early Sears K-mount lenses were actually rebranded RMC Tokinas, so I always just assumed this 135mm was one of those since it shares the general piping and appearance to the Tokinas.

Also, FWIW, I've always been under the impression that Chinon and Chinar were the same thing, only rebranded for some obscure reason for certain markets.

07-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Really? Awesome. I'd much rather hear that than fungus. It's not affecting how the lens takes pics at all. So long as I am not in danger of infecting anything I'll keep it then. At least until I get a better copy because I'm having a hard time finding a better one.

---------- Post added 07-17-15 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
That looks very similar (not exact, but similar enough to note) to my Sears 135mm that I've always thought was made by Tokina. A lot of the early Sears K-mount lenses were actually rebranded RMC Tokinas, so I always just assumed this 135mm was one of those since it shares the general piping and appearance to the Tokinas.

Also, FWIW, I've always been under the impression that Chinon and Chinar were the same thing, only rebranded for some obscure reason for certain markets.
I have a copy of the Chinon 135 as well in M42 and it's pretty much the same except the paint colors are different. I'm pretty much convinced that they're the same lens, just different incarnations. The Chinar is pretty messed up. It's a definite dud, like the camera that came with it, but the M42 Chinon 135mm I got elsewhere is actually very nice and I like it a lot. It's surprisingly sharp for a 135mm and the colors are very nice. The M42 lenses the coatings probably aren't as good, but ergonomically the feel is much better than the later Chinon lenses I have. The later ones they're rather stiff and harder to focus I think.

The M42's I have they're like butter, very smooth, if somewhat heavy to tote. The K mount 50 F1.9 though that one zooms in and out and has a macro mode though it does not say macro on it like some examples I've seen. It's not a real great lens though. The M42 version definitely kicks it's arse, IMHO. It's pretty useless if in terms of macro modes. That may be because the lens is a bit of a dud though. It's very stiff, might have blade issues. It seems to work fine in the normal scale but go to macro and it's stiff getting there and doesn't take very sharp pics. I think it's a bad copy maybe.I have not had much luck with Chinon stuff from Goodwill.

Seems like every kit I've gotten has had major issues. The one kit I got off Goodwill with the 55 and 135 was much better though even then the camera that came with had issues. I don't care because I bought it for the lenses and those were in lovely shape but it sure would be nice to actually buy a Chinon kit and not have an issue of some sort. My Gaffer (Memotron CEII) is in pretty good shape, but the rest of the Chinon cameras I've come across nearly all of them have mechanical issues and so far my luck with the lenses hasn't been too great either. I like them, particularly the M42 versions, but it's been hard getting decent copies...

Last edited by magkelly; 07-17-2015 at 02:38 PM.