Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The forum taken as a whole will on a regular basis suggest you buy every lens ever made and sell nothing.

Asking us if you should sell a lens is like asking a hoarder if you should have a garage sale.

06-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The forum taken as a whole will on a regular basis suggest you buy every lens ever made and sell nothing.
All the way with LBA!!!

I would recommend you keep the DA15 as it seems to be God of the wide angle primes and sell at least the 14 for as much as it will fetch and possibly also the 21 if required, to make the zoom you want affordable.

(If you CAN afford it and justify it in philosophy-of-use terms, there's a lot to be said for keeping your old glass.)

Asking us if you should sell a lens is like asking a hoarder if you should have a garage sale.
I beg to differ!! The hoarder will always say "Yes, you should," because he wants to buy your good stuff and hoard it. Likewise, there may be all sorts of prime-vultures who would happily take your unwanted lenses off your hands for a price (preferably one significantly less than retail, of course!!).
06-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
All the way with LBA!!!

I would recommend you keep the DA15 as it seems to be God of the wide angle primes and sell at least the 14 for as much as it will fetch and possibly also the 21 if required, to make the zoom you want affordable.

(If you CAN afford it and justify it in philosophy-of-use terms, there's a lot to be said for keeping your old glass.)

I beg to differ!! The hoarder will always say "Yes, you should," because he wants to buy your good stuff and hoard it. Likewise, there may be all sorts of prime-vultures who would happily take your unwanted lenses off your hands for a price (preferably one significantly less than retail, of course!!).
I'm not sure if you're defaming us, or you just understand us really well.

It doesn't sound good though.

But I have to admit.. I'll pay you $25 for almost any lens ever made. And I won't feel guilty afterwards either.

I feel like those guys who advertise for your old silver and gold jewelry.. "Need cash ? Bring me your old unused Pentax lenses. I'll give you cash."

All I need is a cheap suit , my hairy chest sticking out of a shirt open to my waist with a couple of gold chains hanging around my neck, and I'm good to go.
06-24-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if you're defaming us, or you just understand us really well.
If I'm defaming you, I'm defaming myself too.

But I have to admit.. I'll pay you $25 for almost any lens ever made. And I won't feel guilty afterwards either.
Join the club. I'm hoping one day to walk into a pawnshop or garage sale and find a KA-mount 50mm f/1.2 lens going for a song because the seller doesn't realise what they've got. Or a collection of mint Takumars that nobody else wants because nobody else has got an M42 adapter and the camera body they're being sold with is FUBAR. It's every Pentaxian's dream, right?

06-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ladybug Quote
Hello, I have the DA14, DA15 and DA21. Just wondering what do people think if it make sense for me
Can't tell you what makes sense for you, but for me it would make sense to keep (at least some of) the primes and not get the zoom.

I have a Sigma 10-20 that I hardly use, and the 15 and 21 that I do use. Not because I don't like wider focal lengths, but because I like small lenses.

If you don't mind the larger size and would like to have more flexibility focal length wise it would make sense getting the 12-24 (or some other UWA zoom). If you then end up not using the primes, sell them.
06-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If I'm defaming you, I'm defaming myself too.

Join the club. I'm hoping one day to walk into a pawnshop or garage sale and find a KA-mount 50mm f/1.2 lens going for a song because the seller doesn't realise what they've got. Or a collection of mint Takumars that nobody else wants because nobody else has got an M42 adapter and the camera body they're being sold with is FUBAR. It's every Pentaxian's dream, right?
Sad but true...
06-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
Forum Member

The 12-24mm is a great lens. As others have suggested I'd recommend selling the 14mm lens (the 15mm is a little narrower but much lighter and smaller) and getting the zoom. Then you will start thinking about getting the 10-17mm as well!

06-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #23
npc
Veteran Member

1. Sell all these lenses and buy a DA12-24 to get the flexibility of a high quality zoom
2. Keep these lenses and buy a DA12-24 to get the same benefit as above

Humm, how did you end up with both the 14 and the 15 the first place ? Sounds like LBA to me - so admit it - choice 2. is unavoidable !
06-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The forum taken as a whole will on a regular basis suggest you buy every lens ever made and sell nothing...
i think i read it in the terms and conditions
06-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks for your opinions. I bought the 15 first...find it good for interior and building shots (less distortion) but not wide enough for landscape sometimes. Was then "given (sort of)" a DA14, like it for its near focusing shots for an interesting perspective and certainly feel wide enough for landscape. Also like the DA21 for what it is..light and versatile. The trouble is having to switch lenses to and fro. Maybe not a problem to many of you but. Was thinking of a do it all like DA12-24 but as some of you have noted, the lens is prone to flare. The DA15 is almost immune to flare in my experience. The DA14 has also very nice starbursts at night. So it is hard to let go either of them because the pictures taken with them are really quite different. I can't put a finger on it why...given it is just 1mm difference in focal length.

I think I will keep my current set and not think about the DA12-24...but it will always be at the back of my mind I am sure.
06-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

There is no way I would part with my DA 15! Since I don't own either of the other 2, I'm somewhat neutral about whether or not the 12-24 could replace them. The DA 15 has certain traits that I'm not willing to part with. Flare resistance, compact size and then there's those starbursts (SMC version)........
The DA 12-24 is highly spoken of and I seriously considered purchasing one but the budget only had room for one lens at the time and the DA 15 won. I could see myself owning one at some point.

Disclaimer: I have never sold any of my lenses since I was forced to sell all my gear back in 1975 due to financial difficulties. Every lens I have purchased since 1976 I still have. Some I haven't used in years and I no longer have working camera bodies for my Nikon and Olympus lenses.
06-25-2015, 04:08 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I no longer have working camera bodies for my Nikon and Olympus lenses.
There's only one solution for that...