Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K mount adaptation?

Does anyone know anything about the adapting of k mount lenses to other camera systems or the adapting of other lenses to k mount?

I have a friend who shoots leica and nikon and he is looking to get a Sony. I've seen people here on the forum adapt their lenses to Sony but I don't know anything about it.

Can anyone explain a little if he could use his leica glass on a Pentax or Pentax glass on a Sony or whatever? Do you lose AF functions when you adapt lenses?

Like I said...I know nothing.

06-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I know is limited but there is almost certainty that you will loose any communication between the camera and the lens. Also, not all lens mounts can be converted due to registration distances. I believe the older Nikon lens can be converted to Pentax K mount (I have one that was done) but Minolta lenses can't be done. It goes like that. If you don't get answers here from members with specific knowledge, you need to search this forum a bit. I see bits and pieces about this from time to time here.
06-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, this is done all the time, usually by users of mirrorless cameras and as mentioned above, it usually results in the loss of camera control of lens functions (aperture control, auto-aperture, and AF). That being said, there are some adapter/host combinations where some functionality may be retained (usually addition of an aperture ring for lens that lack one).

For adaptation to SLRs, the most common for Pentax is to Canon bodies. The main caveat in that realm is a lack of mirror clearance for the aperture actuator lever/pin and/or interference of the mirror with the rear element. This is mainly an issue with full-frame Canon bodies and has been a historic issue. The Canon registration distance is quite short and the mirror box is a very tight space as a result.

Specifically, for your friend:
  • Leica-R (SLR lenses) may be adapted to Pentax with a Leitax kit (permanent, but reversible, LINK)
  • Pentax K may be adapted to most MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera)
  • Leica M or LTM mount (rangefinder lenses) may be adapted to most MILC, but not Pentax K

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-25-2015 at 11:05 AM.
06-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Due to registration distance (the distance between the lens mount and the "film or sensor" plane the only lenses you can use without tricks are those with the same or longer registration distance. For reasons that don't matter Pentax has one of the longest registration distances so only certain lenses can be adapted to Pentax K mount without adding lenses in the path. Essentially you have to add a 1.5x type converter into the lens path to use lenses that are designed for shorter distances.

This site offers a K mount that works across a wide variety of lenses that have similar registration distances: Adaptist - Home

The mirrorless cameras are best suited for use with lots of lenses if you don't mind manual focus and manual aperture control. The cameras have very short registration distances since they have no need to allow for mirrors and they offer electronic viewfinders or screens that compensate for the darkening of the image when stopping down. Generally nearly all of the adapted lenses lose all AF and many lose EXIF data reporting etc.

Does that help?

06-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sony people should focus on C/Y-mount lenses: good glass and cheaper than K-mount lenses.

Seb
06-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Sony people should focus on C/Y-mount lenses: good glass and cheaper than K-mount lenses.

Seb
C/Y can be adapted to Pentax with a Mult-mount. Olympus too. Sony people should focus on Canon FD and Minolta S (MD). Maybe Konica A/R
06-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
C/Y can be adapted to Pentax with a Mult-mount. Olympus too. Sony people should focus on Canon FD and Minolta S (MD)
Indeed and Konica too!

Steve

06-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have a friend who shoots leica and nikon and he is looking to get a Sony.
all of the nikon glass will mount up to sony e-mount cameras, worst case you can operate in full manual mode, which works much better with a good evf than an ovf.

if he can afford it, the upcoming sony a7rii looks like it will autofocus canon lenses using one of several glassless adapters, and also now some nikon glass, with a rumored new 3rd party glassless adapter.

Interview: Kimio Maki of Sony - 'the customer?s voice is the most important data for me': Digital Photography Review
"In other bad news for Canon, the a7R II's 399-point on-sensor phase-detection AF system is even capable of focusing Canon EF lenses very quickly and (so far as we can tell) very accurately. We experienced this combination at work in a very poorly lit conference room, and even so, focus with a Canon EF 24-70mm F4L was at least as fast as we'd expect from a native Canon body. Impressive stuff - especially if this performance is maintained for AF tracking out in the real world."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/297...#ixzz3e6UwlHNO

Can anyone explain a little if he could use his leica glass on a Pentax or Pentax glass on a Sony or whatever? Do you lose AF functions when you adapt lenses?
there aren't any sony e-mount to pentax adapters that have electrical connections(yet), so all pentax glass operates in full manual mode... again, this is a much better experience with a good evf, because you can use the evf to judge the exposure of the picture that's being taken, and there is magnify/focus peaking to help with focusing.

there are $15 e-mount adapters for just about every lens that's ever been made, so when you get an e-mount camera, you aren't switching systems, you are just adding a new body to put your lenses on... glassless adapters can't change the focal properties of lenses, so there is no image quality loss with adapters.

hang on to all of the glass you have, particularly the 28-50mm pentax lenses, because pentax made some of the best legacy wide glass that's ever been put on the market... i probably have a dozen cheap adapters, all in different mounts, so i've tried a bunch of wide glass.
06-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's a link to the adapter page of a really good lens (not Pentax) resource. Should give you an idea of some of the adapters available. https://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm
06-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does anyone know anything about the adapting of k mount lenses to other camera systems or the adapting of other lenses to k mount?

I have a friend who shoots leica and nikon and he is looking to get a Sony. I've seen people here on the forum adapt their lenses to Sony but I don't know anything about it.

Like I said...I know nothing.
You can easily adapt Pentax lenses to the new Sony mirrorless series with a simple element-free adapter. They can also be used on Canon (with a minor modification) but not Nikon as far as I'm aare.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: