Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I may never order again

from anyplace other than Japan

As a belated birthday gift to myself, I just ordered (this past Friday 6/19/15) a Cosina 28-210 4.2-6.5 and a few hours later a Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di, both from the same seller on eBay. I got the EMS tracking info on Saturday with a projected delivery date of 6/30. To my surprise they were delivered on Monday 6/22, both in sturdy boxes with nary a blemish. The lenses were as advertised or even better! The only downside was taking away the thrill of the buildup waiting for the new arrival.

Makes me wonder why deliveries within the US can't be this good and quick. I probably will continue to buy domestically, but I'm no longer leery of ordering from overseas. I'm one happy (Pentax) camper.

Now I need to get out and use them!

Jeff

06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Only other potential downside is lack of US warranty??

But as far as delivery time, wow. Pretty amazing.
06-25-2015, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Only other potential downside is lack of US warranty??
These were not new, but they were in great condition. For new, that's a whole different ball game.
06-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #4

The EMS - USPS partnership seems to be working well. Stuff I've ordered from China send via EMS takes about 5-6 business days to get to me. But then living in a city with a major international airport that gets direct flights from China probably helps too.

06-25-2015, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always gotten great service from Japanese ebay sellers. The shipping is as fast as domestic shipping is in most cases.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Only slightly related.... I ordered a Mac mini custom build-to-order once. Placed the order on Apple's website on a Sunday night USA time (already Monday in Asia), it was built in China about a day later, shipped and delivered at my home around 8:30 AM on Thursday.
06-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
from anyplace other than Japan

As a belated birthday gift to myself, I just ordered (this past Friday 6/19/15) a Cosina 28-210 4.2-6.5 and a few hours later a Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di, both from the same seller on eBay. I got the EMS tracking info on Saturday with a projected delivery date of 6/30. To my surprise they were delivered on Monday 6/22, both in sturdy boxes with nary a blemish. The lenses were as advertised or even better! The only downside was taking away the thrill of the buildup waiting for the new arrival.

Makes me wonder why deliveries within the US can't be this good and quick. I probably will continue to buy domestically, but I'm no longer leery of ordering from overseas. I'm one happy (Pentax) camper.

Now I need to get out and use them!

Jeff
I have also had very good experience with Japanese sellers and have made a friend who always seems to come through with some pretty exotic requests (FA*24, FA20, FA20-35). I'm always a tad nervous dealing with a seller who is new to me, but no cause for disappointment to date.

06-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I concur re service from Japan. I ordered a replacement lens cover for my DA 21 from Japan and it was delivered to my door within seven working days. Amazing!
06-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Are they any extra shipping charges, tariffs or whatever when ordering from China or Japan?
06-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The free packet green tea from Japan is always a welcomed bonus, also. International competition at the personal level is an interesting new dynamic and I'm interested to see how it affects U.S. sales at that level.
06-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I never had a single problem ordering from Japan. Shipping is generally as fast or faster than ordering from USA sellers. That says a lot about integrity to me and the desire for repeat business and customer satisfaction.
I do a lot of online auctions buying and selling and here is my opinion....USA sellers generally have a lousy business and work ethic and could care less about prompt shipping or keeping a customer MORE than satisfied.....Japanese sellers generally have that work ethic instilled in them as a normal part of doing business unilaterally among them !
In the USA that is something we think is so wonderful and special to find a business that is this way....yet in Japan its standard practice.
Just my 2 cents....
06-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Are they any extra shipping charges, tariffs or whatever when ordering from China or Japan?
In this instance, the shipping from this seller was free and I was not charged anything extra whatsoever.
T O T A L L Y P L E A S E D[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by jamarley; 06-25-2015 at 06:26 PM.
06-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #13

Likewise I've had great experiences with shipments from Japan. Ironically the return from Canada to Japan was horrendous. I returned a lens because it was defective. While it took less than a week to arrive in Canada it took almost six weeks for the post office to return it and for not an insignificant sum of money. If you are confident about the seller I would not hesitate to order from Japan.
06-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

EMS is an excellent service from Japan.
I used it many times when sending items to England from Japan and never had a problem.

I did sell some stuff on ebay once upon a time and buyers requested to mark item as a "gift" and also to mark the contents down from their original price to avoid import charges.
06-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Who are those sellers on ebay? I would like to explore their lens range....am in a LBA mood....