Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It has always amused me that some people actively disdain Pentax bodies but totally covet Pentax glass. They'll totally diss Pentax DSLR's but go out of their way to adapt Pentax glass for their DSLR's/M43 cameras. I think it speaks to the quality of the glass obviously but also to how oblivious people can be to the quality of Pentax equipment as a whole. I've used a lot of older lenses from various brands. Some of them are very good indeed, and I like them, but I have yet to see anything that truly matches a Takumar. Every one I possess is a total gem.
I find Pentax bodies very photographer-friendly in their design, so much so that it seems like an extension of my hand/ mind/eye.

Add to that robust build at reasonable price, big and bright viewfinder, excellent ergonomics and industry-leading handgrip comfort - it's just great!

Oh yeah - and also native compatibility with all that great Pentax glass....

06-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
ask them three times what brand their lens is and a rooster will crow at the third answer.
roflol.....
07-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Today, more than 40 years later, I am absolutely amazed at how well SMC has held up
SMC is a great technology, but remember that it evolved over time. A 2010 SMC lens is not the same as a 1970 SMC lens
07-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find that the coatings are getting worse. The 70's lenses are unsurpassed in flare resistance.
The FA* 16-50/2.8 is the most flare prone lens I've ever used...

07-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The DA* 16-50/2.8 is a fast wide zoom. By their nature, wide-angle and fast-aperture lenses tend to be more prone to flare. The Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art copes just as poorly when shooting against the sun, especially when stopped down. Pentax has better coatings these days for these kinds of optics but they weren't available at the time. The 16-50 predates Aero Bright Coating, let alone HD Coating, and would greatly benefit from these newer coatings.

SMC is excellent for most lens designs of lower complexity and for lenses that aren't as wide and fast as the 16-50. It's with these sorts of lenses that SMC starts to break down and better coatings are needed.

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-02-2015 at 08:12 PM.
07-05-2015, 03:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I find that the coatings are getting worse. The 70's lenses are unsurpassed in flare resistance.
The FA* 16-50/2.8 is the most flare prone lens I've ever used...
Compare it to DA15 ltd or DA35 ltd ...