Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2015, 01:45 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
1) I can perfectly manage to have this issue when doing manual focus myself.
You obviously underrate yourself, Nicolas.

I bet you're slower than AF but more accurate in those delicate situations.

07-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is AF is worth $990 and it saves you a couple seconds for each photo, how many photos do you have to take for it to amount to one hour? And then compare that to your hourly wage.
Secondly, people who are 100% into AF make two flawed assumptions:
1) AF is always fast and correct
2) MF is always slow and fiddly

Neither of these is true. AF can be slow, the camera can hunt in some situations, and it can have front or back focus, it can focus on something other than what you wanted, and so on. And MF can be quite decisive and accurate if you get some practice and have a sensible viewfinder/focus screen (or focus peaking).
And one more thing, with a Pentax DSLR, most manual lenses allow Catch in focus /focus trapping. And this gives you something similar to AF. AF confirmation still works, the camera just can't rotate the focus ring for you.
And with MF you can do things like zone focusing, look at the distance on the distance scales (many modern AF lenses don't have this or its useless due to short focus throw), pre-focus, use CiF,...

I'm not saying MF is better than AF and that we should all use exclusively MF. I'm just saying it has its place and its not as terrible as some people think. Triggering AF between all shots has more to do with the feeling of control than with actual results. But AF definitely has its uses and its up to the user to decide what its value, given his needs
07-07-2015, 04:01 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Just to say, hyperfocal distance on APSC for a 55mm is:
f/1.8 => 90m
f/4 => 40m
f/8 => 20m.

And the deph of field for a shallow deph of field shoot at 1.5m:
f/1.8 => 5cm of deph of field
f/2.8 => 8cm of deph of field
f/5.6 => 15cm of deph of field

Good luck with it. In particular if you plan for a shallow deph of field shoot !
I am becoming a f8 shooter nowadays. Perhaps I should have made the point.

I think OoF is cool but is not the object of an image, so, the broad point I am making is shooting wide open or there abouts is unnecessary for most situations. If you need to shoot wide open then you will probably taking your time anyway.

Ultimately, these are debates about style - disagreement is inevitable
07-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
is AF is worth $990 and it saves you a couple seconds for each photo, how many photos do you have to take for it to amount to one hour? And then compare that to your hourly wage.
Secondly, people who are 100% into AF make two flawed assumptions:
1) AF is always fast and correct
2) MF is always slow and fiddly

Neither of these is true. AF can be slow, the camera can hunt in some situations, and it can have front or back focus, it can focus on something other than what you wanted, and so on. And MF can be quite decisive and accurate if you get some practice and have a sensible viewfinder/focus screen (or focus peaking).
And one more thing, with a Pentax DSLR, most manual lenses allow Catch in focus /focus trapping. And this gives you something similar to AF. AF confirmation still works, the camera just can't rotate the focus ring for you.
And with MF you can do things like zone focusing, look at the distance on the distance scales (many modern AF lenses don't have this or its useless due to short focus throw), pre-focus, use CiF,...

I'm not saying MF is better than AF and that we should all use exclusively MF. I'm just saying it has its place and its not as terrible as some people think. Triggering AF between all shots has more to do with the feeling of control than with actual results. But AF definitely has its uses and its up to the user to decide what its value, given his needs
Honestly if I was for MF, I would not have a flagship APSC DSLR that has a small, inconveniant focussing prism for manual focussing. I would really think more of getting an A7 or A7-II because it would allow me to get any old MF lense without crop factor issue and it would still cost me less than an ASPC DSLR + all the AF lenses. And I would have focus peaking in the EVF. If money was not an issue, I'd try a Leica range finder.

Now my eye sight is not that great and there a whole range where on the viewfinder I see it as in focus but I can typically change quite a bit the focus before I see really the difference. But there is quite a difference on the final picture.

Live View + focus peaking is good but not great without at least zooming too. And on Pentax DSLRs it is terribly slow. Theses camera are not made for that.

As for money we all spend lot of money for many things. A car just need a small motor, 4 wheels and seats... You can find a used one for almost nothing. Doesn't prevent some to spend 10000, 20000 or 50000$ on a fancy new car. That's the same for lenses, camera and so on.

Here many explain to me how it is great that Pentax go FF while the difference in one photography is far far ess visible than AF vs MF. But they spend even more for an FF. And let's not discuss of pixel shift or optionnal low pass filter. Theses are almost completely useless things to most of us, still many will want a K3-II !

That only 2 example... but we could go for-ever. Why go and pay 5-10 time more at the local pub than just going to the hypermarket? Why going to expensive restaurant instead of cheap one? Why go for a huge expensive house instead of better placed but less fancy flats ?

Still this is the rights of us human to put priorities where we want to put them. I don't care much of a fancy car, I don't care much for pubs. But I do care for AF and I have a quite "big" flat for a buy that live alone. Everybody take choices!

07-07-2015, 04:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote

I think OoF is cool but is not the object of an image, so, the broad point I am making is shooting wide open or there abouts is unnecessary for most situations. If you need to shoot wide open then you will probably taking your time anyway.

Ultimately, these are debates about style - disagreement is inevitable
Yeah that's an important point when the guys that show the image show a set of pretty shallow deph of field shoots and comment on the bokeh performance.

If it is to take scenes/lanscapes they bokeh is not the primary characteristic to consider to begin with !
07-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Autofocus is more like 640 dollars, not 990. I'll take the SMC Pentax DA*55mm f/1.4 over either lens any day... It's my dream portrait lens.

Actually f/1.4 vs f/1.8 is probably worth 200 dollars by itself in this class of lens. So, AF would be more like 440 dollars? Given the advantages in the rendering of the DA*55 I'd say it's even less than that
07-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
F8 and be there.
07-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great comparison, looks like the Sony wins but not by much...

12-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all three of these lenses as well
Zeiss is tack sharp all the way to the corners
It has little or no falloff
Moisture and dust resistant
Super fast and Silent AF
The Pentax-A 1.2/ 50mm is Possibly as good in my opinion
55mm tak really can't compare to the other 2 for non websize work
12-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I have all three of these lenses as well
Zeiss is tack sharp all the way to the corners
It has little or no falloff
Moisture and dust resistant
Super fast and Silent AF
The Pentax-A 1.2/ 50mm is Possibly as good in my opinion
55mm tak really can't compare to the other 2 for non websize work
Thousand dollars for a fast fifty that's only f1.8! 8-0
12-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first impressions without any deep analysis or Exif values. Sony(best), Takumar(very good), Pentax a( good).
12-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thousand dollars for a fast fifty that's only f1.8! 8-0
it's pretty much in line with limited glass pricing
however I got a great deal on mine
12-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it's pretty much in line with limited glass pricing
however I got a great deal on mine
DA*55 f1.4 is about six hundred bucks. :-)
12-01-2015, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DA*55 f1.4 is about six hundred bucks.
It's also not FF
12-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's also not FF