Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Vivitar 28/2.5 (M42) Will Not Mount on Spotmatic F

My M42 Vivitar 28/2.5 will not mount to either of my Spotmatic F bodies. Strangely enough, it seems to mount fine to my ZX-M (with the adapter). It gets flush to the ZX-m's body, but fails to get flush to the Spot F body. I can screw it in, but it stops prior to being screwed in fully. It seems to not want to go any further. Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Glen

06-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this a TX mount or a dedicated mount? Do you see any protusions in the mount?

When it stops, is the "top" of the lens reasonably on top? If so, that may just be how it looks mounted on a Spottie.
06-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good questions...

It is a dedicated mount. I have a Vivitar 28/2.8 Auto, and it has a TX mount--and it mounts fine to both of my Spotties.

With regard to the "top" of the lens being on "top" when it stops, I would say, no, it clearly does not get to the top. In fact, there is an unusual or unnatural feel when it stops. It is not a clear and definite stop, and the lens seems to want to go backward a bit. Also, at this point, there is a noticeable gap between the mount and the back of the lens. I am puzzled.

Thanks,
Glen

Last edited by zx-m; 06-13-2008 at 10:45 AM.
06-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The lens wanting to go backwards makes it seem there's a moving part in the camera that the lens is catching. There's a bit of give, but the body pushes back.

Does the aperture pin look and behave like your other screw mount lenses? That's the next thing I could think of, the pin fouling the aperture closing mechansim on the camera.

Or else, somehow a pin or some other bump, protusion, aperture communication bit can be fouling the Spotties, but OK with a screw mount in a K mount arrangement. Ie. the Vivitar could be set for e.g. Richoh or Fujica 'special' mount.

06-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think you have "hit the pin on the head." I compared the pin of my S-M-C 35/3.5 to that of the Vivitar 28/2.5. The pin on the Viv is clearly thicker and perhaps even a tad longer, too--definitely different pins. What now? I suppose I could just use this lens on my ZX-M. As long as it mounts okay--and it seems to mount fine--there should not be any problems with it on the ZX-M, right?

I was hoping to use it on both the ZX-M and the Spotties, as my other 28, the Viv 28/2.8 Auto, is somewhat limited in that it does not have half stops--i.e. it stops at only 2.8, 4, 5.6, and so forth. I was a bit surprised by this...must be an early lens. The glass is in superb shape, and it is a pretty lens, too. It takes a 58mm filter. It also seems to have two sets of aperture readings, one of which is in green. I have not been able to switch to the "green" settings, though, as I do not know how. It seems to stop at the 2.8 on one side, and then does not go any further.

Thank you for your assistance, Nesster,
Glen

Last edited by zx-m; 06-13-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a 28/2.5 TX, and I saw your version at a camera show last weekend. I kind of like the TX. The green readings going the opposite way mean the lens is a Beelzebub... no, they are for other mounts where the aperture ring has to turn the other way.

By the way, you can set a lens in between detented stops...

With your problem lens, I doubt it will hurt the ZX-M as this body doesn't have the M42 pin pusher at the bottom. If you don't mind taking the risk of getting the lens stuck permanently (I don't think this is likely...) what I'd try next is... um... I was going to say push the stop down lever up but that would just make the pin pusher push outwards... so... um... make sure your stop down/meter lever is down so the pin pusher is in its released position.

Also, check that the pin pushes in and out freely.
06-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...

Interesting...I did not think I could (or should) set it between detented stops. Is this accurate? It seems there could be some "play" in there (between the stops). Have you tried doing this?

I will check the other things.

Regards,
Glen
06-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sure, all the time. Plus I have a lens or two that has no detents at all. Figure it this way: setting it half way will get you within 1/3 stop easy... and with manual metering at least you can get the exact value based on match metering. Can't get more accurate than that!

Good luck with the other lens... if you can't fit it send in photos so the experts can take a look.

06-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank you, Nesster. What camera is in your avatar? It is somewhat difficult to tell in the small picture, but it looks like a medium format camera.
06-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The avatar or the little thing on posts? Both are the K100D - avatar has a Tamron SP 90 adaptall, the little pic has a Tak 50/1.4 on an extension tube:
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice lens--I have one, too