Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Decision, Decisions...

So I'm in the market for a lens that will close my focal length gap between my Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm and my Sigma 75-300mm. I am on a tight budget (self-imposed...my wife likes me to be happy with my hobbies but I know I will spend way too much if allowed) and I do have a couple of questions to ask my fellow Pentaxians.

Until now, I've shied away from TC's because of light loss and overall picture quality. If I get a TC, I will be connecting my Viv Series 1 to it almost exclusively, though. In comes a friend of mine who is willing to sell me his Vivitar 2x MC Teleconverter. I'm about to say "why not?" to this...it's brand new, never used...but only 4 elements. $35 bucks and I can't go wrong...right?

Now there is a Tamron 35-90mm for sale on EBay for $50. The only information I've found on it is from the Tamron Europe site...it may be one never marketed here in the US. I've used Tamrons before with great results but I usually have some better background info before making a purchase.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

06-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are a few lenses on sale from KEH that fit right into your range (and all $99 or less). Personally I've never used any of them but a few like the 35-70 F3.5-4.5 SMC F seem to get OK reviews in the Lens Review Database.

I didn't check the manual focus lenes from KEH, so there could even be some more bargains.

Hope that helps
John
06-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Combining the Vivitar 19-35 with any TC will yield unusable results. TCs in general are never computed to work with wide angle lenses. On top its a zoom and not (to be honest) the very best one. Buy a decent 50 mm standard lens instead and you will be much better served (or a 40 mm pancake, which would be closer to the Vivitar.

Don't take that to be a rude comment, I just want to prevent you from throwing money out of the window and being severly disappointed.

Also, the 50mm will add some versatility to your equipment, as it is bound to be faster and as such ideal for available light photography and ofcourse for portraits etc.

Ben
06-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not taken Rudely at all...thank you for your candor! So connecting the 19-35mm to the Teleconverter is ultimately not a good idea. Good to know. How about if it's connected to a Vivitar Series 1 24-70mm? My sister has one lying about and is willing to send it my way. What I would like to know is in what way would a teleconverter such as this benefit me If I were to get it? I'm a minimalist and do not want to become an LBA...I like to keep my camera case as simple as possible while covering my focal length needs fairly evenly.

The prime lens idea is a good one...I hadn't really thought about it much and If I get one it may be used almost exclusively for portraiture.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a million, guys...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Combining the Vivitar 19-35 with any TC will yield unusable results. TCs in general are never computed to work with wide angle lenses. On top its a zoom and not (to be honest) the very best one. Buy a decent 50 mm standard lens instead and you will be much better served (or a 40 mm pancake, which would be closer to the Vivitar.

Don't take that to be a rude comment, I just want to prevent you from throwing money out of the window and being severly disappointed.

Also, the 50mm will add some versatility to your equipment, as it is bound to be faster and as such ideal for available light photography and ofcourse for portraits etc.

Ben

06-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ballyclogh Quote
How about if it's connected to a Vivitar Series 1 24-70mm? My sister has one lying about and is willing to send it my way. What I would like to know is in what way would a teleconverter such as this benefit me If I were to get it? I'm a minimalist and do not want to become an LBA...I like to keep my camera case as simple as possible while covering my focal length needs fairly evenly.

The prime lens idea is a good one...I hadn't really thought about it much and If I get one it may be used almost exclusively for portraiture.

Any other suggestions?
I would say: be grateful to your sister and take the lens with a gesture of bonhomme, send a bottle of wine or whatever. This lens would beautifully fill your current gap and wouldn't need a TC at all. Otherwise I would freely apply my comment on TCs to that lens too. Vivitar was one of the first manufacturers that produced dedicated TCs for certain lenses, like the TC for the 70-210/3.8. To my knowledge they never produced a TC dedicated for a standard zoom or WA. They had their reasons.

In general I think, the 24-70 will be a versatile "walk-around" lens and you will find yourself moreoften than not, using it. It might be the right thin against developing LBA for you...

regards
Ben
06-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #6

Another possible solution would be the Pentax 28-105 AL lense. This was one of the first non-kit lenses I bought. It is a nice compact lense that is faster than the kit lenses. It does overlap your focal gaps. New they are only $200. You might be able to find one cheap on ebay. I thought it was a nice all purpose lense. I went away from it when I got the Tamron 28-75 Xr Di 2.8... The constant aperture keeps me using this lense over all others. I did just purchase a 50mm f1.4 and LOVE it.... The lack of zoom has not bothered me yet, but the lense is still novel to me. I do love the pictures from it. Good luck in your search!