Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
You guys make me use my 16-45 more often. It's a great lens for the price. Some of my shots with 16-45:

I would also consider in the future DA15 (more specialized) and DA21 (more versatile).
Wow these shots are stunning! So much love for the 16-45

07-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always use the hood, not sure why you call it useless. I have used the lens for 8yrs as prime walk around on the K20. Front barrel can be moved a little but is not causing an issue. Do have to add some positive exp. Compensation in most situations with this lens.
07-05-2015, 03:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Ok, so you have not much money and prefer prime...

Do you want them small too? If yes the DA21 is really the best choice. To me if you have nothing under 40mm and you want to shoot group of people etc then you need something wide, significantly wider than 40mm but avoid anything too wide neither. Something wider than 18-20mm start to show heavy perspective distorsion and kind of difficult to frame with. it is really un-pleasant with people.

The DA21 is really a great focal length... It can do many, many different things and is sufficiantly different from your 40XS. I think if you are carefull, you'd find a used one for a good price, maybe not $300, but not much more neither. While not best, f/3.2 going to be ok for astrophotgraphy, just 1/3 EV slower than f/2.8.

You'll appreciate it great contrast, the color randering, its resistance to flare and its diminutive size.

Still on prime, but manual focus and faster would be the Samyang 24mm f/1.4... It would work well for group portrait, landscapes and for astro photography while not that wide you'd be able to try it at f/1.4 or f/2 ! There also a 16mm f/2... Honestly if you other widest lense is 40XS, it may be a bit too wide. For group portrait you have to crop to 24mm or something and correct the perspective for good results and avoid people on corners. For Astro it might be better indeed. And I think it is sharper than the 24mm.

As for zoom are concerned the 17-50 f/2.8 of tamron or sigma are quite big, but also quite good closed down. The f/2.8 can become handy for your astro needs and the zoom capacity allow to frame faster...

To be taken into account that the size of theses lenses like the 17-50 or the samyang will not help at all on surprising your subjects. Too intrusive, too big. And they are not best suited to the yellow brick small size.

Really I'd think the DA21 is the lense that would work the best in combination with this lovely K-01 ! You keep the low profile, the spirit of the body! Try to find a good offer used, you'll not regret it !

In all cases, take a look at the lenses club to see example of the differents lenses as well as flickr... You'll see if you like what you see !