Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heading to Japan in week and half any good...

...shopping for Pentax lenses? Used, FA(*) primes ect?
I'd love to get some of those with me. E-bay seems to be full of lenses and stuff at Japan, so..
I'm heading to Tokio for a working trip and might want some souvineers with me

07-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
i got one of these bad boys for a trip to china, Sigma 50mm f1.4 absolutly besotted with it.
07-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

Dont expect there to be a huge abundance of pentax lenses when you visit second hand stores. When i visited Japan in April I went to about half a dozen second hand camera stores in both Tokyo and Kyoto, every single store i went to had a relatively small collection of Pentax stuff compared to every other big brand and often had prices that wouldnt be considered bargains (if thats what you're after).
07-03-2015, 04:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmm. Not so good news..

07-03-2015, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #5

This was two years ago now but I have been to the MAP second hand camera store in Shinjuku which is split across two small but packed stores.
Only one of the levels at one of the stores stocks pentax. Basically every level is dedicated to a different brand.

They had a great selection of second hand gear and everything is categorized into tiers according to their condition and they do specifiy what the lense comes with, ie whether it still has the case/packaging/paperwork.
Everything is displayed behind glass display cabinets but you only have to ask the staff and they will take the item out for you to have a look see.

I picked up an as new lense (DA limited 15mm) there for a good $200 less than new.
You are also able to test out the lenses and inspect them before buying them so gives a bit of piece of mind.

I would also suggest you have a good idea of how much the lenses cost in your own area before you buy from Japan.
Speaking from an Australian point of view it can often be cheaper to buy local than in Japan (for new lenses anyway).

As a side note if you can get along to the Yodobashi camera store, it is all new gear on sale but the shear amount of equipment they have on stock for you to browse is awesome.

Cheers
07-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That sounds little a bit better. Now, I live at Finland. Here is not so many shops where I just can go and buy/try/see these lenses. Only new ones. And it costs a lot to order anything to Finland...so. If I find a good prized lense from Japa, I'll most likely buy it. Or regret..
07-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm in Tokyo right now, and our local Indian prices are far better for Pentax new stuff.
Map Camera is excellent for used Pentax equipment check out their website as well.
Otherwise there isn't much in the way of used Pentax equipment.

07-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for Info!!
07-03-2015, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #9

Hmm I should of given you some websites so here we go.

Yodobashi store pentax camera link:
????.com - ??????? | ???????????????????????

Map camera link:
https://www.mapcamera.com/digital_camera

As I mentioned previously if you have the chance get a long to Yodobashi store.
Of all the stores I would recommend you visit to store located at Akihabara in Tokyo. The Shinjuku branch is also good but nowhere near as big and it is spread across several different buildings.
This is a massive flag ship store and the amount of electronic gear they have on display for you to look at is rather stagering really, I like to just go there and do nothing but browse.
I am not sure if you have been to Japan or Tokyo specificly before but the Akihabara store is very close to the Japan Rail Akihabara train station, and the line that it is on is also one of the major ones so it is easy tog get to and find.

As for the Map camera store the second hand store I went to is in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo (major area with practically everything here). Within walking distance of the Japan Rail Shinjuku station but can be rather hard to find as it is in a maze of streets full of stores and food places. Also the only indication it was there was that there was a sign on the street saying "map camera" you then had to go into a small entrance area and catch a lift up to the appropriate level. Also the two different stores are within a block or two of each other.

Cheers
07-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for very helful tips!

Met's see how it will work out for me.
07-03-2015, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm just going to give you a link to something I posted a while ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/291224-old-...ket-japan.html

I personally think that if you are looking for FA* lenses, Map Camera in Shinjuku would be the best place to go. They are used to dealing with English speakers, they are reputable and they have a good selection of quality lenses and little junk. One thing is that they have changed round the floors since Dreamsong was there. Pentax is now on the 3rd floor of the main building. I also have a preference for the Shinjuku branch of Yodobashi over Akihabara because I just find the staff there are more knowledgable, while the ones in Akihabara are more used to tourists, but also more likely to give you the hard sell. They will both have a full range of Pentax stuff.

I think you might find the prices are quite good now because of the exchange rate. The DA limiteds in particular seem cost a lot more used in other countries.
07-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Exellent news. So my free time is fullfilled now! Some shooting and shopping.