Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Can you tell me I'm supposed to copy which tool from makernotes to EXIF for Lightroom to pickup lens info during import?
These are the steps:
  • Setup ExifTool
  • Setup ExifToolGUI
  • Take a photo using your "unknown" lens and transfer the file to your computer
  • Start ExifToolGUI. It should automagically find ExifTool.
  • Using the file system explorer in the left panel, find and click on the folder containing your file. It should be listed in the center panel. Click on your photo file to display its EXIF information in the right panel. There are several views into the data. Click the "EXIF" button to display that portion. The LensModel and LensInfo tags are towards the bottom of the list.
  • In the program menu at upper right click "Modify" followed by "Exif: LensInfo from Makernotes...". A confirmation box will open. Click OK to continue. Confirm that a meaningful name is now there for LensModel in the EXIF data in the right panel.
  • You can select multiple files from the center panel to do this as a batch action.
  • It is also possible to manually put whatever lens name you wish using the "Workspace" button, but that is another matter.

Steve

07-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #17

Original Poster
Pffff... I'll just wait and hope for a Lightroom update...
07-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
For Linux there is pyExifToolGUI (it's available for Windows and Mac as well). I'm not sure if it has the functionality to manipulate the exif fields involved though. It doesn't support everything that ExifToolGUI does (though it does have some functionality that ExifToolGUI lacks as well). It's a front end for exiftool written in Python using Qt 4.