Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #1

Sigma 17 - 50 "unknown lens" on my K3

Hi everyone,

I've imported some photos shot with the Sigma 17 - 50 in Lightroom. Apparently, the lens is not recognized: "unknown lens". How can I fix this?

07-03-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's weird, because the lens isn't exactly new and should therefore be recognizable by the software. Have you updated LR/camera raw?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

All SIgma sense get lumped together on my K-3. For my lens samples collections I have to take care to note with is which where there is overlap. I afterwards I can't tell the difference between the Sigma 70-300 and 70 macro... if they are both at 70mm. Thankfully I almost never use the 70-300, but, we do use the 18-250, so there are some images we will never know what lens they were taken with.
07-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's weird, because the lens isn't exactly new and should therefore be recognizable by the software. Have you updated LR/camera raw?
It's LR6. And LR6 has the lens' profile.

But I think it's the K3 that does not recognizes the lens.

The Tamron 17 50, on the other hand, is recognized correctly.

07-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All SIgma sense get lumped together on my K-3. For my lens samples collections I have to take care to note with is which where there is overlap. I afterwards I can't tell the difference between the Sigma 70-300 and 70 macro... if they are both at 70mm. Thankfully I almost never use the 70-300, but, we do use the 18-250, so there are some images we will never know what lens they were taken with.
Same issue with the HD20-4- Limited zoom, which is newer than my K-5, and also PDCU4.
07-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But in my case, it's "unknown lens"... It's totally lost...
07-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My K-3 doesn't recognise my sigma 50, either. I've just assumed that it's up to a lack of communication between the lens and camera

07-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
It's LR6. And LR6 has the lens' profile.
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
My K-3 doesn't recognise my sigma 50, either. I've just assumed that it's up to a lack of communication between the lens and camera
This is not a camera issue. The lens type code (when present) is passed through, unmodified, in the image exif data as part of the proprietary makers notes section. When not present, the camera supplies a code depending on whether the lens has "A" contacts or not.

From here on, the story becomes more complex. For some reason, Adobe Lightroom does not properly recognize and translate some lenses on image import despite having profiles for the lens. Lightroom has a Pentax profile for my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C), but does not translate the code on import despite the profile having the proper code mappings. The plot thickens in that exported files have the lens properly identified in the Adobe processing notes portion. Go figure.

As a workaround, I use Phil Harvey's ExifTool in conjunction with ExifToolGui to do an automated interpretation of the lens code and insertion of lens name into the appropriate exif field. When that is done before import, the image goes into Lightroom with a meaningful label for lens type.

Steve
07-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As a workaround, I use Phil Harvey's ExifTool in conjunction with ExifToolGui to do an automated interpretation of the lens code and insertion of lens name into the appropriate exif field.
ExifTool by Phil Harvey

ExifToolGUI

Download for ExifToolGUI
(The program is not currently supported by the developer, but is robust and works well with current versions of ExifTool.

Steve
07-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Forum Member

Steve, you are an important contributor to this site! Do you have any EXIF manipulation suggestions for linux users? Are any of these newer lenses firmware flasheable like micro 4/3 lenses? I understand older lenses are not chipped.
07-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #11

Same thing happens with my HD Limiteds (15 and 35). Focal length is recorded in the EXIF but not the actual lens model. Thanks Steve for the tool.
07-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can vouch that the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 is also given the 'Unknown Lens' treatment by LR. My 70-300mm simply becomes a "Sigma Lens".
07-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
Do you have any EXIF manipulation suggestions for linux users?
exiftool is available in most linux distro repositories, but I haven't seen a gui for linux.
Just use it from the command line.

Cheers,
Terry
07-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

As a workaround, I use Phil Harvey's ExifTool in conjunction with ExifToolGui to do an automated interpretation of the lens code and insertion of lens name into the appropriate exif field. When that is done before import, the image goes into Lightroom with a meaningful label for lens type.

Steve
I downloaded the tools you've mentioned. Can you tell me I'm supposed to copy which tool from makernotes to EXIF for Lightroom to pickup lens info during import?

Thanks.
07-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
Steve, you are an important contributor to this site! Do you have any EXIF manipulation suggestions for linux users?
I have no direct experience with EXIF and Linux. ExifTool is available as a Perl library. That is probably your route of least resistance. You will need to download the full distribution and spend some time with the man file. See the ExifTool Web site for more information.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey