Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about Hoya Filter I bought?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Hoya HMC Polarizer for my 16-45mm. However, when I opened it up some kind of metal strip was coming out of the filter. When I took it back to the place I bought it the clerk said it was just the tension spring and that it just needed to be popped back into place. He quickly did this and assured me that this was a common problem and should not affect the filter at all. He also said that if it happened again to just bring it back and they would replace it then. I personally would have liked to replace it then but they were totally out of the filter since I bought the last one off the shelf. So my question is should I be worried about this filter? It was really expensive to me ($85) and I really thought I was getting a good quality filter.

Thanks for any advice.

Cory

06-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Hoya HMC Polarizer for my 16-45mm. However, when I opened it up some kind of metal strip was coming out of the filter. When I took it back to the place I bought it the clerk said it was just the tension spring and that it just needed to be popped back into place. He quickly did this and assured me that this was a common problem and should not affect the filter at all. He also said that if it happened again to just bring it back and they would replace it then. I personally would have liked to replace it then but they were totally out of the filter since I bought the last one off the shelf. So my question is should I be worried about this filter? It was really expensive to me ($85) and I really thought I was getting a good quality filter.

Thanks for any advice.

Cory
I had this happen on one of my Hoya UV filters. I'm not sure why it happens but it's probably not a big deal as long as it goes back in place. Never has such a problem with the Hoya polarizer. But I always have spare filters, just in case. Sometimes the polarizers are difficult to clean and at one point I had to throw away a B+W one because of streaks that would not come off. So far I haven't encountered that with Hoya but nothing lasts forever. Be prepared to buy several filters of the same type over the years. Still, if that tension spring comes off again, I would return it to the store.

I think that Hoya makes pretty decent filters (I believe they are actually made by Tokina but the glass is probably made by Hoya) but like any manufactured product these days, quality control can be an issue. Besides the B+W filter with the streaks, I had to return another one to the store because of a defect in the glass.

Richard
06-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Banned

I wouldn't be to worried about the performance of the filter itself or any Hoya filter for that matter, quality can be a bit subjective and I think most consider B+W to be the best with Hoya behind that. I use nothing but Hoya and am happy with all of my filters. I have heard of this problem but have never experienced it myself, that being said if it happens again I would return it, otherwise enjoy using your polarizer. I can assure you the glass and coatings are superb.
06-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys, I tried the filter out today and absolutly love it. However, I think there is a scratch on the glass from when the spring was out of place. I will probably bring it back and exchange it for another.

06-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Banned

its actually quite difficult to scratch these filters as they are not as delicate as they are made out to be, but if you did you should return it. as a bonus here I can recommend getting some Formula MC for cleaning of your filters and lenses it does a wonderful job, comes highly recommended and is designed for multicoated glass. I use it myself.

Optical Cleaning Fluids

to purchase online:

Optical cleaning supplies
06-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I, too, use Formula MC, and it does an excellent job. I have a Hoya Super HMC UV filter on each of my lenses. They do seem to be difficult to scratch.

Seamuis: have you tried Formula MC on non-multi-coated lenses?

Glen
06-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check that stuff out. I think the scratch was caused by the clerk when he tried to put it back in place, because as he was trying to do it the whole spring came out and I think it hit the glass.

06-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Seamuis: have you tried Formula MC on non-multi-coated lenses?
I don't own any non multi-coated lenses to test on.
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
good filter - bad filter

i had an experience where uncoated polarizer filter really shows the problem with non-coated filter (they don't coat polarizer for some reasons) The effect from back-lighting was all too clear

(k20d & sigma 70-200 at 200m, taken around f4 - 5.6)
Attached Images

06-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteQuote:
(they don't coat polarizer for some reasons)

all of my polarizers are multi-coated.