Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Weird Bokeh with 40mm Limited vs. XS

Off and on, I consider buying one of the 40mm pancakes, either the 40mm XS or the 40mm Limited. One of the things that bothers me, though, is the weird bokeh I see in reviews of the 40mm Limited (e.g. this and this), stuff like this and this. How prevalent is it? Is it just an issue for the 40mm Limited, or does the 40mm XS produce it as well?

07-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have had three 40mm xs' before and never noticed this but then again I haven't been paying particular attention. Since these lenses are basically the exact same lens in different housings I would imagine it happens on xs
07-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never noticed that odd bokeh effect, and it doesn't really bother me. I quite like the bokeh of my DA 40mm XS, which has nice round bokeh even if stopped down. I like to use the 40mm for flower photography with relatively wide aperture just because of this (I posted some photos on my 500px page and around these forums, but they might be difficult to find). You can look for the "flat wonder" thread on these forums, which is dedicated to the DA 40mm. You can also look at the sample photo gallery and search for the DA 40mm, see how often that bokeh effect appears.

The DA 40mm comes in three versions:
SMC DA Ltd: This is the first one. Has hood, distance scales. Was not advertised as having "rounded aperture blades", though some say its blades are just as rounded as the later versions.
SMC DA XS: This one originally bundled only with K-. Cheaper, flatter, no distance scales, no hood, and a silly 27mm filter ring. Optically it should be the same as the SMC, but it was advertised as having rounded aperture blades, so it might have smoother bokeh when stopped down. This is the smallest one, I think it was even the smallest DSLR lens ever, at least back when it was introduced. But I doubt some other brand beat this (ignoring pinhole lens covers).
HD DA Ltd: This is the latest version, with red ring. Same as SMC, but newer lens coatings and also advertised as rounded aperture blades. I guess this is optically the best one, though, by how much? I dunno. The Pentax Forums did a SMC vs HD test some time ago, so you can look there to see comparisons.
07-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have noticed the same with my 40mm XS. I shot the plastic base of a table lamp. The highlight showed up like that, I recall.

07-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I never noticed that odd bokeh effect, and it doesn't really bother me. I quite like the bokeh of my DA 40mm XS, which has nice round bokeh even if stopped down. I like to use the 40mm for flower photography with relatively wide aperture just because of this (I posted some photos on my 500px page and around these forums, but they might be difficult to find). You can look for the "flat wonder" thread on these forums, which is dedicated to the DA 40mm. You can also look at the sample photo gallery and search for the DA 40mm, see how often that bokeh effect appears.

The DA 40mm comes in three versions:
SMC DA Ltd: This is the first one. Has hood, distance scales. Was not advertised as having "rounded aperture blades", though some say its blades are just as rounded as the later versions.
SMC DA XS: This one originally bundled only with K-. Cheaper, flatter, no distance scales, no hood, and a silly 27mm filter ring. Optically it should be the same as the SMC, but it was advertised as having rounded aperture blades, so it might have smoother bokeh when stopped down. This is the smallest one, I think it was even the smallest DSLR lens ever, at least back when it was introduced. But I doubt some other brand beat this (ignoring pinhole lens covers).
HD DA Ltd: This is the latest version, with red ring. Same as SMC, but newer lens coatings and also advertised as rounded aperture blades. I guess this is optically the best one, though, by how much? I dunno. The Pentax Forums did a SMC vs HD test some time ago, so you can look there to see comparisons.
=_=; You totally missed the original Pentax-M 40mm F2.8.. the actual "father" of all 40mm.....
07-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photodesignch Quote
=_=; You totally missed the original Pentax-M 40mm F2.8.. the actual "father" of all 40mm.....
Are they the same optical design? Because what I read is the M 40mm is not as good as the DA versions so I assumed it is different design, but I guess you are right. If OP wants an affordable MF version
07-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I'm going to have to look closely at some of my photos to see if I can see anything. I did get some odd reflections using a filter on the XS, possibly as the small size places it very close to the lens. In night shots, I got mirror images of light points on the opposite side of the picture (almost like they were reflected around the center point of the lens).

07-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1945188@N23/pool/

519 photos here should give you a pretty good idea of the XS. It's a lens that never leaves my bag (it fits in a filter pocket) but I still seem to prefer to use my 35mm 2.4.
I am sure with a flickr search you could find a good number of photo's with the DA's as well.
07-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The 40mm's Bokeh isn't what I'd call bad. I'd call it "hard to tame". I've gotten some lovely bokeh and some not so lovely.
07-09-2015, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That Bokeh is the result of over-corrected spherical aberration. Both the Ltd and XS versions have the same optical formula and should therefore be the same in this regard. From my experience with lenses that have some over-corrected spherical aberration (e.g., M35/2), it only occurs (or at least is noticeable) in a certain range of circumstances--for instance wide open when focusing to within 2ft and then with a background that is significantly behind the plane of focus. Based on the samples of the DA40 you link to, the range of circumstances seems pretty similar. Depending on your shooting habits, it may or may not be prevalent, but generally is not catastrophic even when it occurs as only very tight crops/very large prints will make it visible.

Last edited by macTak; 07-09-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Over-, not under-
07-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

so looking at optical design of the m40 and seems to be same
07-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
so looking at optical design of the m40 and seems to be same
They are both 5/4 (Unar Elmar hybrid) designs, but there are definite differences in the shapes of the elements that would unquestionably affect their characteristics.