Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, Pentax. It is *said* something was changed, but WoodyWesty's new purchase is failing for the second time.

Actually, I bought my 50-135 new in June and within a couple weeks it started not focusing at all. I returned it to B&H and they sent me a new lens. Now the second 50-135 is not responding either. I realize that in an honest assessment there is always the possibility of an operator error and I for sure am not the master of my digital camera system but when I remove the offending lens and immediately replace it with other lenses that then focus every time I have to figure its the lens. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong and that somehow I am the problem because I'd prefer to keep this sharp lens but I'm afraid that there is simply a flaw in the design of the focusing mechanism.

10-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Actually, I bought my 50-135 new in June and within a couple weeks it started not focusing at all. I returned it to B&H and they sent me a new lens. Now the second 50-135 is not responding either. I realize that in an honest assessment there is always the possibility of an operator error and I for sure am not the master of my digital camera system but when I remove the offending lens and immediately replace it with other lenses that then focus every time I have to figure its the lens. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong and that somehow I am the problem because I'd prefer to keep this sharp lens but I'm afraid that there is simply a flaw in the design of the focusing mechanism.
By definition if there say 7% of defectives lenses, then the probability ot get 7 defective lenses in a raw, doing to independant buys is already 0.49%... That look quite low, but if 10 thousand people do this, that mean 49 people will have the issue... and maybe half of them will complain of the drastic low quality of such manufacturer on the net.

Now imagine that in reality some workers are not as good as other in the factory, that the issue come from a batch or whatever and that the few lens in stock at the reseller are likely to come from the same batch and the likelyness to have a second defective lense when the first one is deffective is not 7% but maybe much greater... Maybe 25%...

Is it really linked to SDM or just bad luck here... That's difficult to know.
10-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
By definition if there say 7% of defectives lenses, then the probability ot get 7 defective lenses in a raw, doing to independant buys is already 0.49%... That look quite low, but if 10 thousand people do this, that mean 49 people will have the issue... and maybe half of them will complain of the drastic low quality of such manufacturer on the net.

Now imagine that in reality some workers are not as good as other in the factory, that the issue come from a batch or whatever and that the few lens in stock at the reseller are likely to come from the same batch and the likelyness to have a second defective lense when the first one is deffective is not 7% but maybe much greater... Maybe 25%...

Is it really linked to SDM or just bad luck here... That's difficult to know.
The problem I have with this lens is that there are too many instances of it being "fixed" and then failing rapidly afterward. If something fails and is fixed under warranty, the fixed product should be sent back to the consumer in equivalent shape to a new lens, but having been checked extra carefully to make certain that it isn't going to fail again. On the other hand, if the motors in these lenses are just under powered then just replacing them won't really help.

Optically, it is a really nice lens and so I don't mind using it in screw drive. My experience with screw drive is that it is quite reliable and as long as that works, I feel like the longevity of this hacked lens is going to be longer than a lot of Canon/Nikon lenses with in lens motors.
10-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem I have with this lens is that there are too many instances of it being "fixed" and then failing rapidly afterward. If something fails and is fixed under warranty, the fixed product should be sent back to the consumer in equivalent shape to a new lens, but having been checked extra carefully to make certain that it isn't going to fail again. On the other hand, if the motors in these lenses are just under powered then just replacing them won't really help.

Optically, it is a really nice lens and so I don't mind using it in screw drive. My experience with screw drive is that it is quite reliable and as long as that works, I feel like the longevity of this hacked lens is going to be longer than a lot of Canon/Nikon lenses with in lens motors.
My version didn't have any issue, it only focussed faster with the K3 than the K5. I sold it and didn't hear any complains neither. I also heard of 16-50, 60-250 or even 17-70 with the issue. I had a 17-70, acquired after 2012 too and no issue. My father now has it and no complains from him.

Overall since the problem was fixed in 2012 it seems SDM fail far less often than before. Is it the perfect technology ? Surely not. But it isn't that bad anymore. This doesn't mean you' can have some lack of luck.

After all my previous DA15 was a bad sample, my current one is not perfect. Your sample has some issue too. Hey it seems to me that maybe half of the DA15 owner on this forum have a sample with some significant weakness... Ironically it comes with screw drive...

I'am not sure there more deffectives 50-135 out there than deffective DA15...

10-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #185
Veteran Member

I had a 50-135 for several years.

The IQ was great, stellar even, but the SDM was just agonizingly, annoyingly slow. The Sigma 50-150 is a Maserati to the Pentax Yugo.

In terms of best zoom ever? Not in my opinion. I even prefer my Sigma 100-300 f4 over the 50-150.

I personally wouldn't put the 50-135 in my top 20 of lenses owned
10-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I had a 50-135 for several years. The IQ was great, stellar even ...I personally wouldn't put the 50-135 in my top 20 of lenses owned
No contradiction in your sentences, Nomadkng? Wow, that must be some 20 lenses! :-D

You could have converted it to screwdrive for the speed alone if it bothered you.

A couple of years ago I was at a workshop and after meeting a fellow Pentaxian, we decided to be sociable and swap lenses.

I got to shoot the model with a DA*55 and it's a fine piece of glass indeed. He used my 50-135 and his eyes were like dinner plates when he chimped.

He didn't want to give it back.

Last edited by clackers; 10-30-2015 at 04:20 PM.
10-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly I can not imagine putting a 70-200 on my K50. The 50-135 fits just right. My 50-135 also fits really well into a camera bag. No the focus is not lighting fast but it suits my needs fine. I have done some action sports with it too. You know once upon a time people shot sports with manual focus lenses and did just fine somehow. I know I was one of them. Normally I have my longest lens on my K3 and either 50-135 or 16-50 on my K50.
10-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No contradiction in your sentences, Nomadkng? Wow, that must be some 20 lenses! :-D

You could have converted it to screwdrive for the speed alone if it bothered you.
IQ alone does not make a lens. Usability is a big factor. The 50-135 is amazing for portrait and static studio work, but I don't do much of that. My subjects tend to be moving constantly in random directions and I need a lens that can accommodate that. The most pixel peeping eyeball searing sharp lens that can't focus consistently does me no good. The OP claim of "best zoom ever" had no caveats. I have owned close to a hundred lenses, and most what would be considered higher end glass. The frustration I experienced with the 50-135 for the world I shoot in soured me greatly on the lens. Thus my personal opinion that is does not rank in the top 20. If one has to make aftermarket modifications to a lens to make it better, doesn't that kinda disqualify it from the claim of "Best Zoom Ever"?

I get it, you love the 50-135. I'm happy you love the 50-135. The person I sold mine to, loves it. I have my 50-150 that I'm happy with. It's great that we can both be happy. I merely stated my reasoning for a dissenting opinion on the claim of "Best Zoom Ever". And heck, we aren't even taking into account the Pentax 200-600, or some of the FA* zooms I haven't even owned. And that's just K-mount. Nikon and Canon make some darn nice lenses if you have 15k in your pocket.

10-30-2015, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own or have owned recently the following zooms:

DA* 50-135 f2.8
DA* 60-250 f4
FA* 80-200 f2.8

I also own the DA* 200 f2.8 and FA* 300 f4.5

The 50-135 is hands down my favorite of the zooms. I sold my 80-200 even though it was a stunning lens because the 60-250 is really frighteningly good but slower and I'm not in the market for full frame. And the 50-135 is just as fast and so light and lovely.

Aren't we lucky to have such an embarrassment of riches?
11-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Don't know the Sigma, but the question in my original post was about Pentax zooms.It is entirely possible that some other brand makes something I might like better, too.