Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good description, Lowell. It is interesting since this thread got active at about the same time as the one I started on the 50-135. The underlying difference of opinion in both seems to be the importance of criteria other those related to optical performance. However, the purpose of a lens is to help you take good photos. That involves many, many factors, with optical performance being an important one, but by no means everything.

A case in point is the SMC K 500/4.5. That FL and that speed for a few hundred dollars with good optical performance that works well with the 1.4x-L to get to 700mm--what a deal!. Why should I pay $5k for a DA 560/5.6 or a Sigma 500/4.5? After I used it a couple of months, I went back and rated it lower than after the first few weeks. I really did not realize how often the size and weight, lack of any aperture automation, lack of focus closer than 10m, etc. would contribute in practice to bird photos (my primary need) which are not as good as a DA*300, with 1.4x DA converter or shots with an A 400. I knew intellectually of the issues, but using them is another education. People who read a review should get the benefit of the practical experience.

07-19-2015, 03:38 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
When did someone give a lens a three?
Only once. I hated that lens.
07-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
To me, user reviews are about the practical pros and cons of owning and using this lens compared to others. I have shot Pentax for more than 40 years and have quite a few M, K and A lenses, but I do not expect that everyone else knows all the ramifications of an "M" lens. The degree of difference between and M lens and an A lens is not nearly comparable to whether a K5 is a film camera, especially in a line which prides itself on the usability of older lenses on current bodies.
I tend to be the same way. I have posted lens reviews where I listed the lack of A-contacts as a con, but never in the pro/con box at top. Instead, I include it as part of the discussion.

As for the numeric scores ROFL!!!

Unless the lens truly sucks, most users tend to review lenses that they purchased and are happy with. The middle-low range (purchased and deemed OK enough to sell, trade, or throw away) are almost never reviewed. The result is a trend towards rating inflation overall with a distinct spike at the low end.

I think it would be very cool if there were a running graph somewhere on this site showing the frequency distributions of lens ratings.

Steve