Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I see the lens has been returned so this is probably academic but I have done a table top test of my DA 18-55 AL WR and I can confirm what the OP is saying. The lens is very soft at the extremes of its physical parameters.
  • Minimum focusing distance of 0.25 metres
  • Maximum focal length of 55mm
  • Maximum aperture of f5.6
With the above settings the image is virtually unusable, nothing is sharp. Stopping down the aperture to f7.1 - f8 improves matters considerably. Whilst I was not expecting great results, I was surprised by the extreme softness displayed. Despite my experience, I am not prepared to say this is an indicator of a faulty lens. I see it as an example of what happens when attempting to push the performance of a budget lens to the extreme. I would have no hesitation in recommending the DA 18-55 AL WR to anyone for general use but for extreme close up work, a dedicated macro lens has no equal.
Hmmm... Mine seems to have its good days

07-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Hmmm... Mine seems to have its good days

That's really good, I am impressed.

I do most of my macro work hand-held and focus visually by moving camera towards the subject. Using this technique I could not get a single sharp image at f5.6 but no problems at all using f7.1. It really surprised me and I repeated several times with same result.

I wonder if my technique was at fault? Could SR be unpredictable or inconsistent at these settings? It is now raining, when the light improves I will get outside and give it another go.
07-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
That's really good, I am impressed.
That was just a quick handheld snap. I usually shoot using the centre point AF and recompose. It always works.

Another one with this lens at 55mm and f5.6 :

07-17-2015, 04:25 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
That was just a quick handheld snap. I usually shoot using the centre point AF and recompose. It always works.

Another one with this lens at 55mm and f5.6 :

Just got my replacement, and while it is a bit soft at 55mm f5.6, it doesnt have the glow/halo thing going on. Need to do more tests, but I'm much happier with this lens so far. I also had to use Nikon this last week after using the k-50 for 2 days, it felt like such a downgrade.