Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #1

Newbie lens dilemma

Hi,

I have recently upgraded from a compact superzoom to a K100D with the 18-55mm kit lens. I want to buy a longer lens and was hoping for some advice. I am considering a couple of options given my budget:
1. Either a Tamron 70-300 Di LD or Sigma 70-300 APO
2. OR a Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm (probably need to sell the kit lens to raise funds for this!)
I'm leaning to the 18-250 because I'm used to the all-in-one lens from my superzoom days, its smaller and more convienent for travelling. But would I be sacrificing a lot of image quality with this lens, against the 18-55 kit plus 70-300. Or would the difference be negligable (especially given my newbie status).

Finally I've seen both the Tamron and Pentax versions of the 18-250mm for the same price in a couple of places, I've read in the forum elsewhere they are essentially the same lens. It seems like the Tamrons got a 6 year warranty and the Pentax has SMC coatings, would these coatings make it a better lens? Which would be the better buy?

Thanks

06-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what everyone has been saying it's the same lens except for the 6 year warranty, I went with the Tamron and never looked back, It's a awesome lens for traveling and on the run.
If you want a real good lens pick up a Prime. Just that the primes are for specific kinds of shooting.
I sold my Tammy 70-300 Di LD just because the wife said I didn't need them both. Now I'm kicking myself in the unowat... Because it is a real good lens, but I know you want the wider 18-250 for learning how to use your K100D better. The most you will get for your kitt lens is about 50 bucks so I would just keep it.
Good Luck
Jack
06-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another lens to consider would be the Pentax DA 50-200. It's a fairly inexpensive lens and many here like it a lot. The two best things about it are that it is small and light, and has the focus shift mechanism so that you can manually tweak the focus (just like the kit lens). It's worst flaws IMHO are that it is slow, and some copies are a bit soft at 200mm and infinity focus. But then again most inexpensive telephoto zooms have the latter problem.

NaCl(High IQ at long distance = big bucks)H2O
06-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is doubtful you would be able to tell a difference between the two lenses.

BTW: buying lenses can become more addictive than crack!

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-14-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Cause I can't spell for chit.
06-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

BTW: buying lenses can become more addictive than crack!
I don't know man... I don't think i would prostitute myself for a lens...

Just thought of the Voightlander 125mm and I guess i am going to have to take that back...
06-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're prepared to spend the money for the 18-250, why not consider keeping the kit lens and snagging a DA55-300? If you check out some of the recent threads on it, you'll see it's an excellent lens.

Another thought to consider--I'm assuming that your 18-55 is the original one. If you want something better in this range, you might consider swapping it out to a 18-55 II. I don't have this lens, but those who do rave about how much better it is than the original 18-55. For the money, it sounds like a great deal.
Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

HTH,
Heather
06-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With your budget, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. But for better performance, as mentioned, you'll have to put a few more bucks into a prime (non-zoom) lens depending on the focal length you'll want to use the most...