Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

I found this particular lens recommended in another thread that was 5 years old. Found this on Amazon: Amazon.com : Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras (Model A09P) : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

But it says its not compatible with my camera (pentax k-50) does anyone have any suggestions on a similar lens as an alternative? Or is amazon wrong and this WILL work with my body? Sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I'm curious as I know nothing about lens compatibility. Thanks!

07-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disregard what Amazon says. If it fits a Pentax it will work with your K-50. Anything that says Pentax or K-mount on it, will work on modern Pentax DSLRs.
07-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They've misled me before like that also. It also rejects my K-r.
And that's a great lens!
07-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will work

07-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

The lens is my favorite zoom. Works great on my K-30!
07-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An excellent f/2.8 lens on ALL PK/A mount cameras. I have a few (too many?) lenses that cover that FL but I'll not abandon it just because of that.
07-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mr_smoak Quote
I found this particular lens recommended in another thread that was 5 years old. Found this on Amazon: Amazon.com : Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras (Model A09P) : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

But it says its not compatible with my camera (pentax k-50) does anyone have any suggestions on a similar lens as an alternative? Or is amazon wrong and this WILL work with my body? Sorry, this is probably a dumb question but I'm curious as I know nothing about lens compatibility. Thanks!
I think you got more qualified answers about using the lens on your K50 than I can give, but I'll chime in on the Tamron 28-75. It's a very good lens in a very useful range and at a very fair price. Love mine. Would very much recommend it as a day in/day out walk around lens.

07-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My first aftermarket lens. I now mostly use my primes when shooting people or going out, but my Tamron is still the main lens I use in my studio. But If I was forced to choose only one lens, it would probably be the 28-75mm due to its versatility and very good image quality.
07-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by mr_smoak Quote

I've had mine since 2007, on an MZ-S, a K10, pair of K20'S, pair of K5'S and a pair of K5IIS bodies. It'll work and you can make a a business with it.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 07-10-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Add Image
07-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Amazon's lens compatibility tool is a joke,it shows me that Pentax lenses will not work on my K30.I would think Amazon would put more effort into helping customers,as it stands they may be loosing some.
07-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Having the lens on Canon bodies over the years, I do feel it is a bit better - and more useful - on a FF body than as a crop-mode lens. It is a very different lens at f/4 - much sharper and more contrast - compared to f/2.8, and this is especially apparent on a crop sensor. This isn't to discourage you, just saying the lens character really changes more significantly than any lens I've owned. It is certainly adequately sharp for portraits wide open, but also fine for landscapes and architecture with relatively minor stopping down. If you decide to get a FF camera sometime in the future (with Pentax finally on that scene), you'll enjoy the lens even more. Also, the lens is quite compact and solid, considering its speed and pricing.
07-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Having the lens on Canon bodies over the years, I do feel it is a bit better - and more useful - on a FF body than as a crop-mode lens.......If you decide to get a FF camera sometime in the future (with Pentax finally on that scene), you'll enjoy the lens even more.
It seems like I have read the opposite...that the lens shines on APS-C by utilizing the "sweet spot", but when a greater portion of the glass is pressed into service on a FF camera, overall performance is more mediocre.

If you're talking strictly about the focal length being more convenient on FF, then you may have a point. But it depends on how you intend to use it. I mostly shoot people, so I enjoy the 28-75mm range on APS-C, since it gets you into the ideal portrait range, and does not require you to get in people's personal paces as much. On a FF, the focal length would be equivalent to an 18-50mm lens...a range that I do not enjoy as much as 28-75mm in most cases.
07-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It seems like I have read the opposite...that the lens shines on APS-C by utilizing the "sweet spot", but when a greater portion of the glass is pressed into service on a FF camera, overall performance is more mediocre.

If you're talking strictly about the focal length being more convenient on FF, then you may have a point. But it depends on how you intend to use it. I mostly shoot people, so I enjoy the 28-75mm range on APS-C, since it gets you into the ideal portrait range, and does not require you to get in people's personal paces as much. On a FF, the focal length would be equivalent to an 18-50mm lens...a range that I do not enjoy as much as 28-75mm in most cases.
I did take a quick look at Photozone, and the conclusion agrees with you, but the data offered on FF agrees with my impression of the lens. That is, it is already well into the "very good" sharpness category by f/4 on the extreme borders in FF mode. It has considerably light fall-off on FF, but this isn't an area that troubles me - so easily adjusted in the conversion process. I do have a strong preference for short zoom lenses that dissect "normal," and the 28-75 on Canon crop is already past normal at 1.6x. Sure, it can be used for portrait, but that isn't at all where its greatest strengths reside.