Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
After around 3 years with my sigma 500 I'm still exceedingly pleased with the lens. At the time the pentax 560 was only a dream. I would have been tempted to get the 560 as it is weather sealed. However I have no complaints with the sigma 500 and it is way batter than my sigma 50-500. The first thing I noticed with the sigma 500 prime was how much detail came out in black feathers. About 90% of the photos I take with the 500 lens is hand held. I'm no superman - I'm 64.
HI Bob!

Just came to nuy a used 50-500 mm and I was wandering if you had any remarks on it. I find the focusing too slow....could it be problem of the body (Pentax K-m)?

Looking forrward to hearing from you

Cheers

01-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Depending on the size of the wildlife subject and distance to subject, 500mm can be too long. Also, as the FL increases, the angle of view decreases, it becomes harder to frame the subject and the frame includes less of the background, atmospheric haze may appears depending on the humidity level and time of the day. Some of the best wildlife photographs are being taken with 300mm or less. If you are at 500mm and your subject is too small, realize that a 600mm lens will only provide 20% more. In this case, you'd actually need 1000mm at the expense of a huge lens, high cost, and/or less light. Hiding breaks through the never ending search for longer focal lengths.
20% more in focal length means 20% more in X and 20% more in Y or in other words 40% larger area on the sensor!
01-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
20% more in focal length means 20% more in X and 20% more in Y or in other words 40% larger area on the sensor!
yes, I know :-) ; long lenses are a never ending story, the end of story lies on the bank account. I've been looking for cheap good long lenses for years, and I failed to find one. The only thing where I succeeded was to understand that beautiful pictures were made from short distances and that the condition of success was the technique to get close. Longer lenses help, but they cost money. On the other hand, improving the approach technique takes time but it is free.
01-23-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

yes, I know :-) ; long lenses are a never ending story, the end of story lies on the bank account. I've been looking for cheap good long lenses for years, and I failed to find one. The only thing where I succeeded was to understand that beautiful pictures were made from short distances and that the condition of success was the technique to get close. Longer lenses help, but they cost money. On the other hand, improving the approach technique takes time but it is free.
I agree with the above comments. In my photo days, I never had anything longer than 200mm. which sounds pathetic now.

I'm a photographer than can be described as "desperate." I would go out with my bigma with a full size flash on top for many hours. The flash gave the lens a big edge and I was able to get many great shots. However I did need full manual control of everthing including the flash.

Many people have gone with the pentax 300 and then added the pentax 1.4 converter. I don't have the 300mm. The converter is crap on my 60-250, but sensational on my 100mm macro.

In summary
1. Expect the zoom on the bigma to extend/creep by its own weight, but it has a zoom lock
2. manual flash blast adds to the detail big time
3. Infinity at 500 is a waste of time - rule of thumb at 500 - if a flash can't light it, you would be better off with a pentax 300.
4 very versatile lens
5. Must be tolerant or desperate when it comes to weight
6. You are much better having the bigma than not have anything.

Most of these were taken with the bigma and some with flash - even on the beach
Educating Options for a Sustainable Future
Educating Options for a Sustainable Future

01-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Most of these were taken with the bigma and some with flash - even on the beach Educating Options for a Sustainable Future Educating Options for a Sustainable Future
Wow , really nice and high quality shots; the lighting and colors make the subjects pop.
01-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Wow , really nice and high quality shots; the lighting and colors make the subjects pop.
Thanks
01-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPedro Quote
HI Bob!

Just came to nuy a used 50-500 mm and I was wandering if you had any remarks on it. I find the focusing too slow....could it be problem of the body (Pentax K-m)?

Looking forrward to hearing from you

Cheers
Sorry to intrude, but I have a Sigma 50-500mm DG OS HSM lens and find that it focuses very fast due to the HSM motor, very quiet as well. There is an earlier discontinued 50-500mm EX model that does not have the OS (optical stabilization) and I'm not sure it has the HSM motor. If you look at the image https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold-items/103464d13159143...x-imgp5481.jpg I found for an EX on the Pentax Forums, you don't see the KAF3 power connections necessary for the HSM motor.

If it's using the screw drive for focusing, then that is the reason for the slow focusing speeds. I'll take a photo of the newer 50-500mm DG OS HSM mount when I return to my office tomorrow to show the difference.

Outside of the focusing speed and the OS, the EX is a very well rated lens for IQ. If you have the OS you'll find a switch that allows you to set it to off, 1 or 2. 1 is full OS and 2 is for panning. If these are missing, its an EX.

01-23-2017, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. This thread got resurrected?

Still love my 150-500 even though I didn't get to shoot as much in 2016

01-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also shoot more birds these days than just about any other single subject. My go-to is the DA*300 + 1.4. I've gone through using the K500, the A400 all with or without converters, but if I take just one lens, it is the 300/4. The lens is at its sharpest at its two largest stops, which makes it perfect for the converter. It is easy to hand hold and not ridiculously expensive. It's downside is that with the TC, you can just about throw away the AF on BIF shots at a distance. Quick shift to MF with focus near infinity works better.

As someone else mentioned, so many birds in N America are tiny. There is no substitute for getting close. In areas where humans are not rare, I often have the birds get within 20' with some patience, and the 300 with or without TC is perfect.

For beach birds, I have had great luck with zooms that top out at 135mm on crop or 200mm FF. These birds are larger and less shy. The same is often true for inland water birds.

A modern 150-450, 500, or 560 with AF limiting would be great if funds permit, but based upon my use of the K500 and even a 500mm mirror lenses, you can't ignore the issues which come with an extremely long lens, especially if you add a TC. I don't enjoy lugging the gimbal tripod for miles, and the DOF is so thin, I often feel I am taking shots of avian eyes only. Close in, the flash with better Beamer is your friend. For distant work, be sure the subject, background and lighting are really worth it before you load a two foot lens and a pod to support it in the pack.