Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Looks like a neat solution Nick. You might put a bean bag in the cradle as well. Let us know how it works for you. Yes, this lens is very front end heavy. I found, while one could use the tripod socket in the camera with this lens, I was never really comfortable the rig wouldn't topple over. It never did but I was pretty sure it would just be a matter of time.

There hasn't been a whole lot of action in this thread for a while. I guess the half dozen of us who own the world's supply of this optic have been busy. I note there is one on sale on Ebay and it looks like it will go for over $300 today. Let's see if can keep the thread alive and show it a little love.

I've posted these K 300 images in another thread but they seem to fit well here too. I've been trying to get some Goldfinch shots for some time now with the K 300 and this little fellow was a lot more cooperative than normal. He must have sat still for at least 10 seconds!.
Wow, your Goldfinch made a beautiful subject. Very nice photographs indeed. The K300 is certainly a good lens and the sharpness of your images and hrischi's are testimonials to that. Nevertheless I will never forgive Pentax for omitting the tripod collar, that was plain stupid. And seeing the FA 300/4.5 they did not even learn their lesson.

I used the lens with film cameras extensively, but since I've got an A*300 and later a Tamron 300/2.8, it doesn't see any use now. It is a bit of a waste, not to use that lens. But focusing is much faster and easier with the A* and the Tamron's IF.

Ben

08-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K 300 Focusing

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Wow, your Goldfinch made a beautiful subject. Very nice photographs indeed. The K300 is certainly a good lens and the sharpness of your images and hrischi's are testimonials to that. Nevertheless I will never forgive Pentax for omitting the tripod collar, that was plain stupid. And seeing the FA 300/4.5 they did not even learn their lesson.

I used the lens with film cameras extensively, but since I've got an A*300 and later a Tamron 300/2.8, it doesn't see any use now. It is a bit of a waste, not to use that lens. But focusing is much faster and easier with the A* and the Tamron's IF.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

You state the A* 300 focuses faster and more easily than the K 300. This is yet another lens I covet bye the way. As far as focusing goes I have nothing to compare my K 300 with. I am pretty satisfied with the way it performs though. From closest focusing distance to infinity requires almost a 360-degree turn of the focusing ring on my lens. The Katzeye screen I purchased has made a world of difference on my K10. I assume there is a shorter throw on the A*300. This would facilitate manual focusing. I have to admit that I really don’t find focusing the K 300 too difficult. Your A*300 must be something special. As good as AF is on modern lenses I suspect AF on the new DA* 300 would have had a lot of trouble focusing with some of my shots above.

Tom G
08-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Ben,

You state the A* 300 focuses faster and more easily than the K 300. This is yet another lens I covet bye the way. As far as focusing goes I have nothing to compare my K 300 with. I am pretty satisfied with the way it performs though. From closest focusing distance to infinity requires almost a 360-degree turn of the focusing ring on my lens. The Katzeye screen I purchased has made a world of difference on my K10. I assume there is a shorter throw on the A*300. This would facilitate manual focusing. I have to admit that I really don’t find focusing the K 300 too difficult. Your A*300 must be something special. As good as AF is on modern lenses I suspect AF on the new DA* 300 would have had a lot of trouble focusing with some of my shots above.

Tom G
Tom, I think, the A* has simply a much easier to turn focusing thread, probably due to its light weight and diminutive size. I won't say, the K300's focusing is especially hard to use. Compared to the 500/4.5 it is a joy to use...
The Katzeye is something I contemplate all the time. I think I will buy those finally. I have been through two different, cheap Chinese screens, which where simply cut down from standard 35mm SLR screens and with both the focus is off. The old rule (buying cheap = buying expensive, because you buy at least two times" is all too true.

And yes, I think the AF would have struggled, especially with your second series of images, because all the twiggs and leaves will irritate the AF. I guess you would have gotten loads of shots with very sharp twiggs. On birds (though I am really no expert on those) I almost always use manual focusing, even with AF lenses. This feather balls are just too tiny and usually hidden behind distracting twiggs, branches, leaves etc. to use AF.

Your second series is, by the way, just as beautiful.
Ben
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben,

Like myself you seem to have a number of old Pentax manual focus lenses. I would highly recommend the Katz Eye to you if you are doing a lot of manual focusing. I have been very pleased with mine. I had some reservations about the price at first and considered a cheaper substitute. As you note above you often get burned looking for the cheaper way out. For once I bit the bullet and went for the first team to start with. I’m glad I did even though the almost $200 US price tag gave me pause. I got the following Katz Eye screen with Optibight coating:

Pentax K100D K110D K200D Focusing Screen - Katz Eye Optics

It reminds me of the screen in my old Pentax MX and I like it a lot. Some have mentioned metering issues with these screens but no problems here so far. I shoot manual almost all the time and I’m constantly changing shutter speeds, aperture and checking the histogram to confirm things. I’ve yet to notice any issues with The DA 70mm which currently is my only AF lens. I’m going to have to cure that deficiency!!!

Tom G

08-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #65

K 300

I have been using the K 300 only for the past 2 days to try and get better with it. I have been sitting on the front porch using the "rest" I made and walking down to the butterfly bushes. I took some photos of Goldfinches,Cardinals, a Pipevine and Giant Swallowtail butterflies.

Last edited by Nick1946; 10-11-2008 at 06:57 AM.
08-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #66
Veteran Member

K 300 f4

Good start Nick. This is a fun lens but it takes some time and practice. Those birds don't sit still for long do they? There isn't much depth of field with a lens of this focal length. Even with a long tele, about 450mm on digital in this case, I try to get as close as possible to the birds. Thirteen feet is the closest focusing distance with your K 300. You might try getting a lawn chair and sitting about that far from the feeder. If you are feeding them they will keep coming back. Eventually you will get some killer shots from that distance with this lens. I find the K300 (like most lenses) is at its best between F 5.6 and f11. Once they get used to your presence they will cut you some slack if you don't move around too much. Keep those K 300 shots coming.

Tom G
08-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make a mount - Why not

for those interested, this is a lot more stable for the lens than the collars that go around the apature window, ad also helps balance a little better since you have control of the center of gravity

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous

cheers.

08-24-2008, 01:04 AM   #68

Original Poster
I have posted them in another thread, but anyways, here they are-

08-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Hrishi,

Got to love that K 300! #2 is my personal favourite - great antlers. These boys have that intense alert look of prey animals – everything a potential threat. That little bush in the foreground is a bit distracting but usually we don’t have time to chop down things that get in the way of a good shot.

Tom G
08-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #70

Original Poster
Thanks Tom. Actually I didn't get time for photography at the sanctuaries at all..these are just few grab shots!

I should really go for a trail exclusively for photography..
08-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Hrishi,

Looking forward to your shots. India is a pretty exotic locale to those of us in Southern Ontario. It will be an education.

Tom G
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #72
Veteran Member

The K 300 stikes again

Last week of summer vacation so I've got to get as many shots as possible. I won't be bothering you with all these birds next week. The Goldfinches have been pretty cooperative again today:

Not sure where this came from but it caught my eye on the way home.

All shots Pentax K10, monopod, SMC K 300 f4, ISO 100, 1/320 sec, @ about f8.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 02-23-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
09-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #73
Veteran Member

More K 300

Hi all,

Well, it was back to school last week so the K10 sat idle for a while. It’s terrible when your job gets in the way of your hobby isn’t it? It was a gorgeous day here in Waterloo and I took a walk up Beaver Creek Road to see how the finches were doing without me. Rather well it seems. They have pretty much trashed the thistle patch but they were still there. I was actually standing a few feet from a female and I didn’t even notice her while I was taking light readings and setting aperture. She, of course, flew off the moment I did see her. The females are much less obliging than the males. I have yet to get a shot of a female. This fellow granted me a 90 second or so window of opportunity and the results follow.

All shots on monopod, SMC Pentax K300mm @f5.6 and f8, ISO 100, 1/125 sec and probably should have been a bit higher.

Cheers,

Tom G
09-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Had some luck with the local finches today. The K 300 performed pretty well.

Tom G
I was not following this thread. Wow quite a few great posting here.

Love them all part. the last one. Job well done. Really show that manual focus rules.

Daniel
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Thanks Dan.

Until I can afford that DA* 300 the old K 300 seems to be doing the job. As for manual focusing there are some applications, such as this one, where it can't be avoided. As Ben notes above all the twigs and branches would irritate AF in most of the images above and make those captures difficult. On the other hand I have had no success at all trying to manually focus on one of these finches in flight. It would take a miracle to get that shot with the K 300.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 09-07-2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: typo