Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
No... But maybe there are taxes for importing to Finland
Take that into consideration.
Yep, I knew that. They did not add taxes at US end. After taxes in my end the lens was still about 100 euros cheaper compared to buying it from here. That how the weak dollar works for us Europeans

06-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #32

Georg, I am using the lens but still learning. It's a new experience having 5.5 lb out in front of the camera. I have been keeping a mono pod on it. I shot a eagle today at 1/4 mi . A little too far for a good picture but I was surprised at what I did get.
When I get posting pictures down I'll post a few samples.
Pete
06-27-2008, 12:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Yep, I knew that. They did not add taxes at US end. After taxes in my end the lens was still about 100 euros cheaper compared to buying it from here. That how the weak dollar works for us Europeans
Who cleared the lens at customs? You or the courier?
06-27-2008, 03:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Nothing to do with the lens under discussion, but I must comment on how impressed I am with the fact that Helen Oster has taken the trouble to respond publicly in here. Even the fact that she is reading these forums is very impressive

Well done, Helen - you are being an excellent ambassador for Adorama

And hopefully you will also be giving feedback to Adorama that there is a very active community here of Pentax users, most of whom have LBA and CBA (Lens Buying Addiction and Camera Buying Addiction).

Stick around here on PentaxForums, and I'm sure you will create a lot of good will for Adorama, as well as generating the odd sale here and there...

Just one question, from Down Under (as there are several members in here from Australia): I tried to purchase some stuff from B & H once, but they required photocopies of both sides of my credit card (unheard of with any other online purchase in my experience). I am certainly NOT happy to have my credit card image, complete with signature and security number floating around somewhere other than in my wallet. Does Adorama require something similar? Or do you simply trade using the credit card number online as does virtually every other online merchant? Needless to say, I cancelled my order with B & H, which was for a couple of thousand dollars worth of stuff.

Maybe because your order was huge(by my standards) but I've ordered through BH a fast 50 among others and delivered in 3 days no faxing of details

cheers

06-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just one question, from Down Under (as there are several members in here from Australia): I tried to purchase some stuff from B & H once, but they required photocopies of both sides of my credit card (unheard of with any other online purchase in my experience). I am certainly NOT happy to have my credit card image, complete with signature and security number floating around somewhere other than in my wallet. Does Adorama require something similar? Or do you simply trade using the credit card number online as does virtually every other online merchant? Needless to say, I cancelled my order with B & H, which was for a couple of thousand dollars worth of stuff.
As I am always ordering from Germany, I feel with you. This process has been discussed in length in another thread. This is a standar procedure, most US companies (not only B&H) put us international customers through. At least they keep your records, if you wish so, for a year, so that a follow-up order can be processed easier.
As I said, this is common for US companies and the reason seems to be, that credit card companies in the US try to load all risks and responsibility onto the retailer – and they try to secure any deal as tightly as possible... I usually scan the credit card (sometimes even my identity card), make a PDF and then secure it with encryption. The company gets a second email from me later, with the password to decrypt the pdf.

regards
Ben
06-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben - that's a good idea, with the two-stage process and encryption.

But all the same, there are enough online retailers who DON'T want the photocopied credit card, that I don't need to be bothered with B & H.

I don't doubt that they are honest, and good merchants, but I still refuse to have my credit card signature and suchlike floating around in cyberspace, encrypted or not. Just call me paranoid, perhaps.... And yes, I know that all someone needs is the credit card number and security number - they don't need my signature at all really. But having the whole thing photocopied just seems too much like actually leaving the credit card itself lying about somewhere.

If Adorama are happy to do business the way that most online retailers do, then I'll deal with them. And yes - I'm looking at this Sigma 100-300 too - just to bring this back on topic
06-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Who cleared the lens at customs? You or the courier?
Clearing was done by UPS Finland, quite straightforward and quick.

06-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben - that's a good idea, with the two-stage process and encryption.

But all the same, there are enough online retailers who DON'T want the photocopied credit card, that I don't need to be bothered with B & H.

I don't doubt that they are honest, and good merchants, but I still refuse to have my credit card signature and suchlike floating around in cyberspace, encrypted or not. Just call me paranoid, perhaps.... And yes, I know that all someone needs is the credit card number and security number - they don't need my signature at all really. But having the whole thing photocopied just seems too much like actually leaving the credit card itself lying about somewhere.

If Adorama are happy to do business the way that most online retailers do, then I'll deal with them. And yes - I'm looking at this Sigma 100-300 too - just to bring this back on topic
In my case all I had to do was to choose my PayPal as payment method. No signatures needed to be given to Adorama. Don't know what would have happened if I would have chosen to pay with plain Credit Card, though...
06-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
In my case all I had to do was to choose my PayPal as payment method. No signatures needed to be given to Adorama. Don't know what would have happened if I would have chosen to pay with plain Credit Card, though...
Yes, PayPal does the trick. It is just very expensive for the seller, so many shops don't accept it – which I can understand...
Ben