Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't argue with the 35/2 photos above. One other thing I have noticed with the 35/2 is the amount of cyan fringing - certainly very obvious when shooting at wide apertures.

That said I do definitely prefer the 35/2 over the 35/3.5. I actually think that the varied opinions on this lens has more to do with the precision required to focus it rather than the lens itself. At f2 the cameras focus confirmation is likely to be a limitation, at least on older bodies (K3 has f2.8 focus detection points)

07-15-2015, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
28mm is available in f/3.5. Nothing faster. I notice that other makers made even wider lenses with faster apertures (e.g. the database lists a Promaster 24mm f/2.8 in M42), and there are a few 28mm screwmounts with 2.8 apertures so it certainly wasn't impossible. Granted, having the extra few millimetres implicit in the K mount probably made this an easier "ask". No doubt the Asahi engineers had their reasons, and it'd be interesting to know what those were.
I could be wrong, but as far as my usage of the slower and faster wides go, it seems governed by these few factors :
1. Price
2. Size and portability
3. Field curvature (and flat field sharpness)
4. Off center and edge sharpness.

The slower wides often seems to do better in these. (at least the ones I've tried )

There is also a difference between an OEM and a 3rd party. (esp. a stubborn old one like Pentax )
They would adhere to some form of optical standard for the lenses they sell.
As in "We can't sell a lens that claims f2.8 but really only usuable by f3.5"

I'm more of a 20, 24mm user (urban environment, usually tightly packed with no space to move back)
I'd get a 20mm or 24mm instead, but TBH, if on FF, I'd rather wait for new lenses for the best o/p.

85mm is available as f/1.8 and f/1.9 variants (I'm not even considering rarities like the quartz and ultra-achromat)
Totally nothing wrong with that 85/1.9.
In fact, its got a little bit lower contrast look (still more contrast compared to low/non coated lenses of that era).
A more gentler rendition imo and nice bokeh.
Easily increased to taste in PP anyway.

135mm is available as f/2.5 and f/3.5 variants.
I don't like the f3.5 on an OVF and apsc (too dim, too long working distance, too 'much' DOF for the FOV).
IMO, it shines on FF (EVF, easier to focus the f3.5)
Very nice size too.

The f2.5 (there are 2 versions), is a very nice lens for the money.

V1

V2

07-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both the Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 7-element radioactive, and the 200mm f/4. I use hoods on both to reduce flare, increase contrast, and cut down on CA. I consider both of my Super Taks to be 2 of my 3 best lenses (the other being an SMC M28 2.8).

An example from the 200mm f/4:

07-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Update: I picked up a 28mm f/3.5 SMC Takumar in a Vancouver camera store. Might have got more, but some other enterprising enthusiast got there first. I can't complain, as this was pretty much exactly the lens I was looking for. If it was one of you who beat me to it, enjoy your new lenses; I know I'm enjoying mine!